Give a guy a break!

Sorry to hear Derrick.

Sorry about the news......

Have you ever thought of starting a  "Go fund me" account?!? Worth a shot...

Sorry about the rough spot buddy. It'll all work out the way it's going to.

+1 with the gofundme, we set one up when Sydney was sick as we couldn't afford the $10k it took to try and save him.  We didn't get anywhere near what we needed help with, but it did help!  Something is better than nothing!  I'm so sorry, I know how hard it is all the way around, but you will pull through!  It always seems things have a way of working out for the best.  Good luck with everything!

So sorry to hear Bulldog, will keep you and the family in our thoughts and prayers

Man, wish there was somthing I could do to help, I feel your pain. It hurts when a loved one is ill and you just have to watch it. As a man you're instinct is to fix it and make it better.

Derrick,

So sorry your situation hasn't gotten any easier. Still keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.

+1 on go fund me. I've donated to numerous "animal" and "children" funds. I guess I've got a softer spot for them .... I'd be happy to help out if I could. Keep your chin up buddy. 

+1 On the Gofund... It's amazing how a small donation by a large number can help. Our prayers are with you and your family. If  anyone knows the process to set up a Gofund in Derrick's name I will sure contribute.

Sorry about the news......

Have you ever thought of starting a  "Go fund me" account?!? Worth a shot...

I don't think I could do it. I wouldn't feel right about asking people to give me their hard earned money because I was an idiot with my own! Haha. We should be able to borrow the money from somewhere for the cutting surgery. I'm torn on the radiation. In some ways it would be great because there isn't the 2-3 months of healing. But radiation still scares me in the sense of what else does it do?? You know

+1 On the Gofund... It's amazing how a small donation by a large number can help. Our prayers are with you and your family. If  anyone knows the process to set up a Gofund in Derrick's name I will sure contribute.

Thanks folks. I really am humbled/ in awe of what a caring and amazing group of people we have accumulated over the years on this forum. I guess the term "best of the best" doesn't just refer to our boat brand, but also the customers purchasing them. Thanks for all your kind words. Hopefully we find out a date soon and everything goes well.

Unfortunately, every pet is going to be taken from us at some point.  It's the same with human beings as we're not on earth forever. 

I lost my beloved Staffordshire Terrier, Hank the Pit Bull, to cancer 2 years ago.  It hurt to let him go, but he had 9 great years. 

I then brought is step-brother inside, Hank the Rottweiler.  Hank is also showing signs of cancer with a knot on his ribs and a growth under his neck.  But at almost 10 years old, he's got a great life.  I already paid $1K getting his broken leg fixed after he lost a battle with a garbage truck, so he's already used up his healthcare budget. 

Sorry you're having such problems.  But at one point, it's time to let'em go.

Unfortunately, every pet is going to be taken from us at some point.  It's the same with human beings as we're not on earth forever. 

I lost my beloved Staffordshire Terrier, Hank the Pit Bull, to cancer 2 years ago.  It hurt to let him go, but he had 9 great years. 

I then brought is step-brother inside, Hank the Rottweiler.  Hank is also showing signs of cancer with a knot on his ribs and a growth under his neck.  But at almost 10 years old, he's got a great life.  I already paid $1K getting his broken leg fixed after he lost a battle with a garbage truck, so he's already used up his healthcare budget. 

Sorry you're having such problems.  But at one point, it's time to let'em go.

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way because I had a rough day, but at 8 1/2 she is nowhere near "time to let them go". We don't have kids, we have dogs, well, dog now. She means the world to us. I am pretty sure I love her more than any person I know (her and the wife are close ) I don't care about spending money on her. The problem is only that I don't have enough to even consider the radiation option, and just the surgery will definitely tap us out for quite a while.  I'm not saying "poor me I have no money" it's my own damn fault and if I really wanted to be better off I would sell things and get out of debt. That isn't an option at this point since the surgery needs to happen asap. 

We drive 4 hours round trip every weekend in winter/fall so she can do agility. It's a one hour class. Seems kinda stupid, but that's what we do because she seems to enjoy it and all the instructors there are amazing and if it hadn't been for them we wouldn't have even known what was going on with Gibson when he got a twisted stomach, but we had learned about it from one of the instructors because it happened to her dog. It at least gave us a chance to try and save his life instead of just sitting here and watching him die.

If a dog is in pain or suffering and it can't be fixed, then it's time to "let'em go" otherwise you do what you can.

Once again, sorry if I took this wrong, it just struck a nerve.

So sorry you're having to go through this Derrick.  Hopefully things will get better soon.

Bulldog, I understand how attached we can get to those four legged things.  We have never had children, but have had 3 dogs. (All strays that we rescued).

The main difference with us was that we probably treated our dogs better than most treat their children.  They have been gone for over 20 years, but I think of them often.

I saw a post on Facebook a while back that sums it up.

"You know what I like about people?"  Answer: "Their Dogs"!

Lost our boy earlier this year. He was a boat dog for sure. I think he knew we were going boating before we did. We had to take him in and have him put down. It was extremely hard to do but it also was the right thing to do. We wish you the best and hopefully everything will turn out for the best.

hunter.jpg

Well, for those of you that care about my problems ( :D ) here is the latest update!

So went on Monday to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan where they have the vet college to get Lulu's tumor looked at. I had taken the week off because the hope/thought was that they would look at it on Monday and do the surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday. Well we met with the Radiologist first because the surgeon was in surgery. She went through all the details, which we mostly already knew, but they need to go through them anyway. Then she needed to take Lulu for chest x-rays to see if the cancer had spread to her lungs. So she did that and after a while she came out and the surgeon was finally finished up in surgery and had about a 10 minute window to look at Lu. Well she looked at the size of the tumor and location and said that at best it would be a 50/50 chance that it would come back just due to the simple fact that there really is no way to take it all out.

So with that in mind we have decided to do the Stereotactic Radiation Therapy. Even though there isn't and data on its success rates in animals since mostly up until this point it is used in humans with brain tumors and such where they need to be pin point accurate with the radiation so as to not damage near as many normal cells.

Unfortunately, by this time it was late afternoon Monday so we were unable to get the CT scan done until Tuesday morning and since there is pretty much one guy (who is in Calgary) that maps out the exact spots of the tumor and the level of radiation to apply to each of those spots, there was no way it was going to be ready to start on Wednesday. So we came home and will have to go back most likely for Monday morning to do the 3 days of radiation.

As for the boat, well it's still in my driveway. I haven't decided to sell or not, although a guy called me out of the blue asking about it and may want to come take a look at it. I told him too cheap of a price but at the moment, I could just use the money since the $3000 for surgery just turned into about $8500 for radiation after hotels and travel and food. I guess we'll see, but not holding my breath. 

Sorry to hear Bulldog, you and your family will receive our prayers and thoughts.  Your Bennington family does care so do keep us updated.

Back