GPS

Loud2552

Reaction score
I’m looking into buying a gps that will get me back to my boat slip at Lake Lanier,GA. The lake is large and it easy to get lost if you try to explore the lake, plenty of coves. Looking for a 5-6 inch screen. not interested in fish finder or bells and whistles.
Any recommendations, make and model number will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Top Dawg

Reaction score
I’m looking into buying a gps that will get me back to my boat slip at Lake Lanier,GA. The lake is large and it easy to get lost if you try to explore the lake, plenty of coves. Looking for a 5-6 inch screen. not interested in fish finder or bells and whistles.
Thanks!
I suggest one of the Simrad Go series. I'm not sure which boat you have and if there is room, the Go7 which is a 7" display. The Go is a flush mount and very bright in day light. Depending on your power, engine parameters can be displayed on the instrument page. I have a Simrad system on our Sea Ray and love it. I moved from a Garmin to Simrad and it was a smooth transition.

BigD

Reaction score
Thanks!
Have you considered just using the Navionics App for your phone ?

Link

Reaction score
I have an older Garmin and you can pin a location.
In addition when navigating through water with potential hazards if I am heading out during the day and returning after dark I set the garmin to track my course. It leaves a dotted line o the map and when I return I simply stay on the line thus avoiding any trouble

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I echo Top Dawg’s recommendation of considering a Simrad.

One, they have a great gps and navionics display, as well as often being able to link lots of motor data to them fairly easily. They are also less good as a fish finders, even though they have that feature. Thus, for you, that trade off is no worry.

Two, everything Top Dawg said! Especially If you can move up in size to the Go7 or Go9.

Three, since Bennington offers Simrads as a factory order option, Bennington makes dash inserts for them. If you can mount a new one well cosmetically on your own, no worries. However, if you want a factory OEM look, if you go Simrad, you could work with your nearest Bennington dealer to order a replacement dash insert and get the helm re-wired with the new Simrad in its proper spot. I’d expect it to be a little pricey, but also then come out looking factory. Just another option with the Simrads.

That said, if the above are no big deals, I am sure there are a lot of other good options that people might recommend. Since I have a Simrad Go5, I am simply familiar with them now.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I just use my Simrad mostly for the customizable engine data display. I don't need navigation on our lake and I don't fish. I just need to know how deep it is, water temp, how fast we're going, rpm's, where is my trim set, how much fuel do we have left, and engine hours........at a glance!

Loud2552

Reaction score
Have you considered just using the Navionics App for your phone ?
Great idea! I was looking for a
I echo Top Dawg’s recommendation of considering a Simrad.

One, they have a great gps and navionics display, as well as often being able to link lots of motor data to them fairly easily. They are also less good as a fish finders, even though they have that feature. Thus, for you, that trade off is no worry.

Two, everything Top Dawg said! Especially If you can move up in size to the Go7 or Go9.

Three, since Bennington offers Simrads as a factory order option, Bennington makes dash inserts for them. If you can mount a new one well cosmetically on your own, no worries. However, if you want a factory OEM look, if you go Simrad, you could work with your nearest Bennington dealer to order a replacement dash insert and get the helm re-wired with the new Simrad in its proper spot. I’d expect it to be a little pricey, but also then come out looking factory. Just another option with the Simrads.

That said, if the above are no big deals, I am sure there are a lot of other good options that people might recommend. Since I have a Simrad Go5, I am simply familiar with them now.
I appreciate your recommendation, I will definitely look into the Simrad. Thanks