GPS

Loud2552

Reaction score
I’m looking into buying a gps that will get me back to my boat slip at Lake Lanier,GA. The lake is large and it easy to get lost if you try to explore the lake, plenty of coves. Looking for a 5-6 inch screen. not interested in fish finder or bells and whistles.
Any recommendations, make and model number will be appreciated.
Thanks!

I’m looking into buying a gps that will get me back to my boat slip at Lake Lanier,GA. The lake is large and it easy to get lost if you try to explore the lake, plenty of coves. Looking for a 5-6 inch screen. not interested in fish finder or bells and whistles.
Thanks!
I suggest one of the Simrad Go series. I'm not sure which boat you have and if there is room, the Go7 which is a 7" display. The Go is a flush mount and very bright in day light. Depending on your power, engine parameters can be displayed on the instrument page. I have a Simrad system on our Sea Ray and love it. I moved from a Garmin to Simrad and it was a smooth transition.

Thanks!
Have you considered just using the Navionics App for your phone ?

I have an older Garmin and you can pin a location.
In addition when navigating through water with potential hazards if I am heading out during the day and returning after dark I set the garmin to track my course. It leaves a dotted line o the map and when I return I simply stay on the line thus avoiding any trouble

I echo Top Dawg’s recommendation of considering a Simrad.

One, they have a great gps and navionics display, as well as often being able to link lots of motor data to them fairly easily. They are also less good as a fish finders, even though they have that feature. Thus, for you, that trade off is no worry.

Two, everything Top Dawg said! Especially If you can move up in size to the Go7 or Go9.

Three, since Bennington offers Simrads as a factory order option, Bennington makes dash inserts for them. If you can mount a new one well cosmetically on your own, no worries. However, if you want a factory OEM look, if you go Simrad, you could work with your nearest Bennington dealer to order a replacement dash insert and get the helm re-wired with the new Simrad in its proper spot. I’d expect it to be a little pricey, but also then come out looking factory. Just another option with the Simrads.

That said, if the above are no big deals, I am sure there are a lot of other good options that people might recommend. Since I have a Simrad Go5, I am simply familiar with them now.

I just use my Simrad mostly for the customizable engine data display. I don't need navigation on our lake and I don't fish. I just need to know how deep it is, water temp, how fast we're going, rpm's, where is my trim set, how much fuel do we have left, and engine hours........at a glance!

Have you considered just using the Navionics App for your phone ?
Great idea! I was looking for a
I echo Top Dawg’s recommendation of considering a Simrad.

One, they have a great gps and navionics display, as well as often being able to link lots of motor data to them fairly easily. They are also less good as a fish finders, even though they have that feature. Thus, for you, that trade off is no worry.

Two, everything Top Dawg said! Especially If you can move up in size to the Go7 or Go9.

Three, since Bennington offers Simrads as a factory order option, Bennington makes dash inserts for them. If you can mount a new one well cosmetically on your own, no worries. However, if you want a factory OEM look, if you go Simrad, you could work with your nearest Bennington dealer to order a replacement dash insert and get the helm re-wired with the new Simrad in its proper spot. I’d expect it to be a little pricey, but also then come out looking factory. Just another option with the Simrads.

That said, if the above are no big deals, I am sure there are a lot of other good options that people might recommend. Since I have a Simrad Go5, I am simply familiar with them now.
I appreciate your recommendation, I will definitely look into the Simrad. Thanks

I just use my Simrad mostly for the customizable engine data display. I don't need navigation on our lake and I don't fish. I just need to know how deep it is, water temp, how fast we're going, rpm's, where is my trim set, how much fuel do we have left, and engine hours........at a glance!
I am a new Simrad GO7 user and working through the devices settings. How do I get to the menu that allows me to see the analog gauges? Similar to what is in the Bennington Catalog. Thanks A reference to a certain section in a manual would be great.

I am a new Simrad GO7 user and working through the devices settings. How do I get to the menu that allows me to see the analog gauges? Similar to what is in the Bennington Catalog. Thanks A reference to a certain section in a manual would be great.
Do you have a simrad to engine communication link ? If not, then you won't get engine data.

Just a quick overview how to navigate a GO5 or GO7.

Hi Newbie here. Just bought a 2021 R25 bow rider with the splash detailing This is really an awesome boat. Got a question about getting detail mapping on the Sim CL7 Display. Tried to update mapes with SD card but when I went to the GarminExpress Website i got an error saying it did not recognize that model. Any clue what i'm doing wrong? SIM help is not very helpful.

I have a 2013 and my GPS is so small I can't read it. Anyone have any pictures of how they mounted the Simrad to the top of dash? I'm not sure I want to go to the expense of having it put in the dash where the old garmin is. I do you the navonics app, but I'm on lake Harwell and I need the to know the depth.

I have a 2013 and my GPS is so small I can't read it. Anyone have any pictures of how they mounted the Simrad to the top of dash? I'm not sure I want to go to the expense of having it put in the dash where the old garmin is. I do you the navonics app, but I'm on lake Harwell and I need the to know the depth.

What model is your boat? What do you have now? I had a Garmin 95 in my last one and a 53DV fit almost exactly in hole. Trimmed about 1/4” off top edge of hole.

If all you are concerned with is depth only, I’d look at a basic depth gauge. Just remember, you got 20’ of length till you get a depth reading. You might have already grounded it by that time.

If all you are concerned with is depth only, I’d look at a basic depth gauge. Just remember, you got 20’ of length till you get a depth reading. You might have already grounded it by that time.
I never thought of that. So why aren't transducers mounted towards the bow?

What model is your boat? What do you have now? I had a Garmin 95 in my last one and a 53DV fit almost exactly in hole. Trimmed about 1/4” off top edge of hole.
Where do I find the model number? I bought it used and did not get any manuals.
It would be awesome if I could fit a new GPS in the same spot. I do need the tacker feature that helps me find my way back to the dock.

Back