HELP, we need your opinions Which ( 2275GCW) do we buy?

WANT NOT A NEED

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP! Don't know which boat is the better choice for our needs. We have put a deposit on 2 boats. Boat 1 is a 2013 2275 GCW with a few more bells and whistles but with a 150 Yamaha. Boat number 2 is a 2012 2275 GCW but it has the V MAX PRO 200 engine with only 7 Hours on the engine (BOTH ARE THE SAME PRICE).

I wanted an opinion/s from someone who was not making a commission off me. So that's the reason for my post here. I have been on a boat twice in my life and both times it was a ski boat.I also have no clue about engines. So I am hoping someone can help my wife and I make the correct decision on which to choose. We will be using the boat to pull our girls age 8 and 11 around the water on a tube with of course their friends. Using the boat also to hang out with friends and family on the water.

I did call Bennington, and spoke to Ryan he explained the 2012 would give me better performance then the 2013. Ryan also explained that with the 200HP I would spend more on gas. Gas consumption would be his biggest concern if we wanted to stay out all day on the boat. Ryan felt what we were going to be using the boat for, the 150 would be fine.

One of the dealers explained that boaters always want more power and there is a big difference in the 2 engines.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and thank you for your help! We cant wait to get our Pontoon and get out on the water.

2012 Bennington 2275 GCW Yamaha Vmax SHO VF200 200HP 4-Stroke Performance outboard motor, SeaStar Hydraulic Steering, 2 Chaise Lounges, 2 Portable Cupholders, 2 STERN FACING SUPER LOUNGES WITH ENHANCED HEADRESTS & GRAB HANDLES, G Series Reclining Captain's Chair, High Performance Carpet, ILLUMINATED KICKER SPEAKERS (4), Privacy Enclosure, Soft-Touch Base Vinyl, Stainless-Rimmed Cupholders, Teak Kidney-Shaped Table, 6" Stainless Steel Cleats, Aft Marine Tuff-Ply Vinyl Floor, Anodized Raised Rails, CRYSTAL CAP LOGOS, Docking Lights in Java Light Housings, Extended Aft Deck with Telescoping Ladder with Wider Tread & Stainless Steel Boarding Handles, Full Length Anodized Skirting, Large Radius Bow Rails with 24" Bow Gate, QUICK RELEASE 10' BIMINI TOP WITH SURLAST EMBROIDERED BOOT, 1.25" FRAME, Stainless Steel Corner Castings, Streamlined Rail System, Surlast Playpen Cover.

2013 Bennington 2275 GCW, Yamaha 150 4 STROKE EFI, Champagne panel color, Battery switch, Performance package XL, Sea star hydraulic steering, Champagne canvas, Chrome letters logo only, Ivory interior, Monochrome interior accent, Palm sand carpet, Elevated helm, Sony M6 w/USB port upgrade, Lighted bimini top, SS docking lights, Infloor storage, Ski pylon, Speedo G series

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a more horsepower kind of guy. That being said, what type of tube configuration do they have, 2 tube, 3 tube, ESP ? Basically I have the same boat and the 150 is fine but (my mentality) more is better. Do they have power assisted steering? I think the 200 would be a bear to steer without it. I added it to our boat because it was hard to steer. And remember, the kids are gonna grow up and want to go faster. B)

PLEASE HELP! Don't know which boat is the better choice for our needs. We have put a deposit on 2 boats. Boat 1 is a 2013 2275 GCW with a few more bells and whistles but with a 150 Yamaha. Boat number 2 is a 2012 2275 GCW but it has the V MAX PRO 200 engine with only 7 Hours on the engine (BOTH ARE THE SAME PRICE).

I wanted an opinion/s from someone who was not making a commission off me. So that's the reason for my post here. I have been on a boat twice in my life and both times it was a ski boat.I also have no clue about engines. So I am hoping someone can help my wife and I make the correct decision on which to choose. We will be using the boat to pull our girls age 8 and 11 around the water on a tube with of course their friends. Using the boat also to hang out with friends and family on the water.

I did call Bennington, and spoke to Ryan he explained the 2012 would give me better performance then the 2013. Ryan also explained that with the 200HP I would spend more on gas. Gas consumption would be his biggest concern if we wanted to stay out all day on the boat. Ryan felt what we were going to be using the boat for, the 150 would be fine.

One of the dealers explained that boaters always want more power and there is a big difference in the 2 engines.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts and thank you for your help! We cant wait to get our Pontoon and get out on the water.
What is the pontoon setup?(twin elliptical, 3x25" tunes, ESP, power steering or just hydraulic steering) I have a 2275RCW with a 200 SHO and love it, I am thinking that the v max you are looking at is a 2 stroke? Is the 150 a 4 stroke? I prefer a 4 stroke, but really don't know enough about the 2 to complain about it. Either one will be great I'm sure. Oh and what are the "few more bells and whistles" you mention? I have the center fuel tank and storage and LOVE them, I would hate not having them.

Derrick

I'm a more horsepower kind of guy. That being said, what type of tube configuration do they have, 2 tube, 3 tube, ESP ? Basically I have the same boat and the 150 is fine but (my mentality) more is better. Do they have power assisted steering? I think the 200 would be a bear to steer without it. I added it to our boat because it was hard to steer. And remember, the kids are gonna grow up and want to go faster. B)
Haha, I guess I'm a slower typed than you! Obviously you hadn't replied yet when I started typing or that would mean I'm a moron! Hahaha

Derrick

Haha, I guess I'm a slower typed than you! Obviously you hadn't replied yet when I started typing or that would mean I'm a moron! Hahaha

Derrick
Believe me, I type WAY slower than anyone. B)

2012 Bennington 2275 GCW Yamaha Vmax SHO VF200 200HP 4-Stroke Performance outboard motor, SeaStar Hydraulic Steering, 2 Chaise Lounges, 2 Portable Cupholders, 2 STERN FACING SUPER LOUNGES WITH ENHANCED HEADRESTS & GRAB HANDLES, G Series Reclining Captain's Chair, High Performance Carpet, ILLUMINATED KICKER SPEAKERS (4), Privacy Enclosure, Soft-Touch Base Vinyl, Stainless-Rimmed Cupholders, Teak Kidney-Shaped Table, 6" Stainless Steel Cleats, Aft Marine Tuff-Ply Vinyl Floor, Anodized Raised Rails, CRYSTAL CAP LOGOS, Docking Lights in Java Light Housings, Extended Aft Deck with Telescoping Ladder with Wider Tread & Stainless Steel Boarding Handles, Full Length Anodized Skirting, Large Radius Bow Rails with 24" Bow Gate, QUICK RELEASE 10' BIMINI TOP WITH SURLAST EMBROIDERED BOOT, 1.25" FRAME, Stainless Steel Corner Castings, Streamlined Rail System, Surlast Playpen Cover. Quality Family Cruising

2013 Bennington 2275 GCW, Yamaha pre rig, Champagne panel color, Battery switch, Performance package XL, Sea star hydraulic steering, Champagne canvas, Chrome letters logo only, Ivory interior, Monochrome interior accent, Palm sand carpet, Elevated helm, Sony M6 w/USB port upgrade, Lighted bimini top, SS docking lights, Infloor storage, Ski pylon, Speedo G series

Ok here you go and thank you for your help

What is the pontoon setup?(twin elliptical, 3x25" tunes, ESP, power steering or just hydraulic steering) I have a 2275RCW with a 200 SHO and love it, I am thinking that the v max you are looking at is a 2 stroke? Is the 150 a 4 stroke? I prefer a 4 stroke, but really don't know enough about the 2 to complain about it. Either one will be great I'm sure. Oh and what are the "few more bells and whistles" you mention? I have the center fuel tank and storage and LOVE them, I would hate not having them.

Derrick
Derick,

Thanks for your help here are the discriptions of the boats

2013 Bennington 2275 GCW, Yamaha pre rig 150 EFI 4 stroke, Champagne panel color, Battery switch, Performance package XL, Sea star hydraulic steering, Champagne canvas, Chrome letters logo only, Ivory interior, Monochrome interior accent, Palm sand carpet, Elevated helm, Sony M6 w/USB port upgrade, Lighted bimini top, SS docking lights, Infloor storage, Ski pylon, Speedo G series

2012 Bennington 2275 GCW Yamaha Vmax SHO VF200 200HP 4-Stroke Performance outboard motor, SeaStar Hydraulic Steering, 2 Chaise Lounges, 2 Portable Cupholders, 2 STERN FACING SUPER LOUNGES WITH ENHANCED HEADRESTS & GRAB HANDLES, G Series Reclining Captain's Chair, High Performance Carpet, ILLUMINATED KICKER SPEAKERS (4), Privacy Enclosure, Soft-Touch Base Vinyl, Stainless-Rimmed Cupholders, Teak Kidney-Shaped Table, 6" Stainless Steel Cleats, Aft Marine Tuff-Ply Vinyl Floor, Anodized Raised Rails, CRYSTAL CAP LOGOS, Docking Lights in Java Light Housings, Extended Aft Deck with Telescoping Ladder with Wider Tread & Stainless Steel Boarding Handles, Full Length Anodized Skirting, Large Radius Bow Rails with 24" Bow Gate, QUICK RELEASE 10' BIMINI TOP WITH SURLAST EMBROIDERED BOOT, 1.25" FRAME, Stainless Steel Corner Castings, Streamlined Rail System, Surlast Playpen Cover.

After looking at both descriptions, I think I would go with the 2012 with the 200, but only with power steering. Is either of them a tritoon?

After looking at both descriptions, I think I would go with the 2012 with the 200, but only with power steering. Is either of them a tritoon?
yes they are both a tritoon and I was told you can not add power steering so I am stuck with hydrolic steering if I go with one of these boats. Should I can them both and look for a boat with power steering?

I think someone is telling you a fib. If the boats have Seastar steering then you can add power assist. I added it to ours so I know it's possible. Our boat is older but it's the same 2275, just an "R" not a "G". Ours was hard to steer with the 150 so I would suspect the 200 would be tougher. Just my $.02 B) Sent you a PM.

Well you have a tough decision to make!

We have a 2012 22SSI with the XL performance package 150 Mercury, the boat tops out at 40 mph (gps) with 6 adults on-board. Plenty of power for tubing and skiing. Great ride, dry & smooth. We also have the Seastar hyd steering, the boat turns fine!

2012 vs 2013 my money is with the newer boat!

The 200hp engine would give you about 7 more mph and use a little more fuel. If you plan on having a full boat load of people on-board on a regular basis the the extra HP would be nice! But thats a lot of HP with out power steering! The 200 hp is a bit heavier too!

RiverBill

You couldn't go wrong with either, but the VMax SHO is one heck of an engine. And, the power steering pump can be added to the SeaStar for around $2K. You would absolutely need p/s with the bigger engine.

My 24'SSLX with the 150 Yamaha also runs 40 mph, and SeaStar steering is okay until the low 30's--when it gets a little hard to make a tight turn. At normal cruising speeds (mid 20's), it steers easily. Anyone into watersports in a skinny river really needs to go power steering. Our lake's about 1 1/2 miles wide, so we don't make tight turns often.

Welcome to the family.

If it was me, I'd buy the 2012 with the 200hp engine. For multiple reasons.

Rule #1: Always buy the most engine you can afford.

If it was me, I'd buy the 2012 with the 200hp engine. For multiple reasons.

Rule #1: Always buy the most engine you can afford.
Thanks for your input it is truly appreciated sounds like from you and everyone else got with the 200 and spend the 2k to add power sterring

You couldn't go wrong with either, but the VMax SHO is one heck of an engine. And, the power steering pump can be added to the SeaStar for around $2K. You would absolutely need p/s with the bigger engine.

My 24'SSLX with the 150 Yamaha also runs 40 mph, and SeaStar steering is okay until the low 30's--when it gets a little hard to make a tight turn. At normal cruising speeds (mid 20's), it steers easily. Anyone into watersports in a skinny river really needs to go power steering. Our lake's about 1 1/2 miles wide, so we don't make tight turns often.

Welcome to the family.
Thank you very much for the welcome and your input. Would I be all right using the boat the way it is for now the last few weeks of the season. Then adding the power steering before the Summer next year when we will be really using the boat?

Well you have a tough decision to make!

We have a 2012 22SSI with the XL performance package 150 Mercury, the boat tops out at 40 mph (gps) with 6 adults on-board. Plenty of power for tubing and skiing. Great ride, dry & smooth. We also have the Seastar hyd steering, the boat turns fine!

2012 vs 2013 my money is with the newer boat!

The 200hp engine would give you about 7 more mph and use a little more fuel. If you plan on having a full boat load of people on-board on a regular basis the the extra HP would be nice! But thats a lot of HP with out power steering! The 200 hp is a bit heavier too!

RiverBill
Thank you very much for the help and input it is truly appreciated all of you are making us feel very happy we are buying a Bennington

Thank you very much for the welcome and your input. Would I be all right using the boat the way it is for now the last few weeks of the season. Then adding the power steering before the Summer next year when we will be really using the boat?
You can add the power assist any time you want to. We had our boat for about 4 years before I installed the P/S. I would never own another boat without it.

What are your goals with either boat? Will you be tubing or skiing behind it? If not, then the power steering isn't necessarily a must have. I honestly doubt you'll see more then about 44mph with the 200. Some folks on here have 250hp motors are only hitting 46 or so. Check the performance forum on this site. It will give you a good idea on what you can expect in top end.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision

Todd

Sorry, just re ready your post about tubing and skiing. My 150 is OK to ski and tube, but you'll want power steering with a 200.

Todd

Just as a note to some people talking about the extra weight of the 200, it is only 14 or 25lbs heavier than the 150(depending on model). The SHO is one of the lightest motors out there for its hp, 505lbs. That being said, I have the 2012 200 SHO and I hit 42mph with ESP and on an R series 2275. I could probably go faster if I re prop and lose a bit off the line, but it's plenty fast enough. The other nice thing is that the 200 is made to run on 87 octane fuel. It doesn't need or want premium, may burn a little more fuel, but at least it is the cheaper fuel. Sorry about the mix up in your first post you said before max pro, I hadn't heard of it so I thought maybe it was a 2 stroke. You will want the power steering, maybe you don't HAVE to have it, but you definitely WANT to have it. The only thing I'm torn on is the in floor storage. I love mine, I usually have 2 two person tubes, a wakeboard, kneeboard, dock bumpers, oars, fishing rod all tucked away in there, it's amazing! Now that is an ESP,so it would be a bit bigger, but I love it all the same.

Derrick

Back