Help with 2016 Bennington 2275GCW- G Series

Since we are once again headed back in this direction, let me be perfectly clear. There is a huge difference  between hydraulic steering and power assisted steering. Yes, hydraulic steering is standard on the SPS hull, BUT IT DOES NOT REDUCE STEERING EFFORT. Sorry to shout, but many, including dealers/salespeople, don't understand the difference. The hydraulic steering actually keeps the boat centered while underway better than cable steering. But.....

If you are looking for reduced steering effort, you will need to add SeaStar power assisted steering in addition to the standard hydraulic steering. This is an extra cost option +/-$2800 depending on series.

Most dealers/salespeople will attempt to dissuade you from the power assist option because it adds cost to the boat and screws up comparative shopping. But ask the guys who have it (even on a 21 SLXP - the guy fitting out my boat at the factory even made fun of me), it makes all the difference in the world. Perform a search here using key words "power steering" if you want more opinions and experiences.

I so much agree. I have the SeaStar option and driving my 250 is a 1 finger steering like driving your car.

If you can swing it, IT IS A MUST HAVE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Options, options, options. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm taking my time before buying/ordering a Bennington because it seems like I learn something new everyday. I'll eventually make a decision and again, thanks to everyone!

Just get the one you saw.  Don't worry, you'll probably get PADS anyhow and get another in a year or two ...  :D

Sea Star steering is a must have for you cowboys and those that want to make sharp turns when towing or just for fun however Lounger stated that he was a cruiser. 

I am a slow cruiser and although I only have a Yamaha 115 rather than the 150 steering with only cable is not a problem, make that effortless.  Often I lean back and steer with only my knee. In Loungers case I would think the steering money could perhaps be spent on other goodies such as a kegerator for the boat

I was thinking the same Mark. "IF" I had a 150, it would really be for straight line runs, no skiing or tubing interest. We've actually discussed if running the Intracoastal with our 20 hp would be feasible. Funny .... but feasible. Worst case, we'd throw a 115 hp on with the 20 as a kicker so we'd have some power if needed......  ;)

+1 on the stern lounge upgrade. Last year when I bought my boat, my dealer was very generous and offered to let me configure the boat the way I wanted it and he would order it...no strings attached. He had only one limitation - I had to order it with the stern lounge upgrade. He said that if I decided to NOT buy the boat, he would have a hard time moving it without the upgrade.

YMMV

Back