How Fast Is A 2015 2275 GCW With A Yamaha F150 & SPS?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
Can anyone cite actual top speed with the boat described in thread title?

I've been told that the F150LB Yamaha that started shipping in the last half of 2014 has a few more ponies than the F150LA that shipped prior so hopefully it will kick the potential top speed up some?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
2014 ,2375 RCW SPS, with an arch (that weighs as much as 2 additional people ) 150 with SS 15X15 enertia prop and clean toons 38 per GPS & Spedo

2014 2275GCW F150 3/4 tank, myself only. Reliance SS prop. 38mph GPS. Two biminis up,but not deployed. This was from my first outing.

On my previous boat which was same motor and very similar options as yours, it would go 40 mph GPS with 2 people.

Mine has ESP and the heavier v6 200, but here are my specs from the List Your Specs thread. Note the elevations as well, since most people are lower than me and therefore will have more power from their engines. 

Nick's Boat

• Boat Model --------- 2275 GCW
  • Model Year --------- 2013
  • Tube Option --------  ESP w/56 gallon tank
  • Under Deck Wave Shield -------- Yes
  • Power Option -----  2013 Yamaha F200XA, 3.3L v6, lowest mounting position
  • Prop Specs ---------- Yamaha Saltwater Series II, 15-3/4 x 15P, Polished Stainless Steel
Light Load Specs:
  • Performance ----------  39.5mph @6000 RPM - Elevation: 4,484'
  • Loading -------- Light load, 2 adults, ~15-20 gallons of gas
  • Notes ------- Optimum trim level was around 1/2. Porpoising would occur between 1/2 and 3/4. Pretty smooth water but not glass. 
Heavy Load Specs:
  • Performance ----------  35.2mph @5600 RPM - Elevation: 3,606'
  • Loading -------- 5 adults, 2 dogs, ~56 gallons of fuel, 2 massive 120qt coolers, food, water and camping supplies for a 5+ day camping trip. 
  • Notes ------- Optimum trim was once again around 1/2. No porpoising above that but speed would slip. Slightly choppy water conditions. 
I think I am propped just about right and I am very happy that my top speed didn't slip a huge amount with the heavy camping load. I had hoped to do a light load test at the lower elevation but I didn't get around to it. Maybe later this year.

That boat with the fully straked SPS pkg / 150 will run 40 mph quite easily. If the dealer knows anything about performance....... 42+. The Yami F150 is a strong performer.

That boat with the fully straked SPS pkg / 150 will run 40 mph quite easily. If the dealer knows anything about performance....... 42+. The Yami F150 is a strong performer.
What kind of tweaks can the dealer do to make sure the top end is maximized?

Think mounting position, prop selection, and driver savy.  Some boats have differing options which can affect speeds by a mph or so, but I have yet to see a 150 powered SPS that couldn't break 40 mph with the right choices of set-up.  Just don't let the tubes get dirty.  I guess I should turn this back to you.  I'm quite curious as to how your dealer has answered these same questions.

Think mounting position, prop selection, and driver savy.  Some boats have differing options which can affect speeds by a mph or so, but I have yet to see a 150 powered SPS that couldn't break 40 mph with the right choices of set-up.  Just don't let the tubes get dirty.  I guess I should turn this back to you.  I'm quite curious as to how your dealer has answered these same questions.
Dealer says mid 30's with aluminum prop. He has not tried to sell me a stainless steel prop.

Specifically with pontoons, you'd be better served to focus more on total performance - acceleration, handling, speed, ride comfort/dry ride, but most important for this type of boat and it's true purpose is load handling. That's where the 150 really shines. Pile more people and gear on a 3 tube boat and it just shrugs it off for the most part.

My setup is faster than I imagined it would be (50+), but I can count on one or two hands the number of times I've run it that hard. And, it was usually with 1 or 2 aboard because no one else wants to go that fast on an open pontoon.

For your boat, I'd take the mid-30's estimate and be thrilled with everything else it does so well  :) If it can top that when you get it, so be it, a nice bonus.

Specifically with pontoons, you'd be better served to focus more on total performance - acceleration, handling, speed, ride comfort/dry ride, but most important for this type of boat and it's true purpose is load handling. That's where the 150 really shines. Pile more people and gear on a 3 tube boat and it just shrugs it off for the most part.

My setup is faster than I imagined it would be (50+), but I can count on one or two hands the number of times I've run it that hard. And, it was usually with 1 or 2 aboard because no one else wants to go that fast on an open pontoon.

For your boat, I'd take the mid-30's estimate and be thrilled with everything else it does so well  :) If it can top that when you get it, so be it, a nice bonus.
Good points indeed.

My "how fast" question stems from my never ending curiosity.

Thanks.

How you use the boat is how you should prop the boat.  We used the big boat for a month and found we cruised at 3,000 rpm.  Any faster and the wind noise made conversation difficult and the women hair is blowing too much..  I called my prop guy and told him I wanted the most efficient prop at 3,000 rpm.   We now can cruise at 2,800 at the same speed.  It saves me gas every trip.  Very few people run WOT for long in a pontoon.  Look at the boat tests to see the fuel burn on higher speeds.     

I'd rather not!!!

It's like the old muscle cars.  "I can pass anything except a gas station"

Got the fastest boat but can't pass a marina!

Back