How many people boat after dark?

9 Grand

Reaction score
I'm curious if many people take their boat out at night.

The only time I really go out after dark is the on 4th of July when they launch fireworks over the lake, or sitting in the boat at the marina.

It can get pretty interesting when everyone is heading back to the marina at the same time.

We go out quite a bit at night, or should I say we usually come home in the dark. I have no problem being out at night. Our night trips are usually after going to a restaurant and taking a nice slow ride home.

We go out quite a bit at night, or should I say we usually come home in the dark. I have no problem being out at night. Our night trips are usually after going to a restaurant and taking a nice slow ride home.
Sounds nice. We are on a smaller lake so there's not anything like that available. 

I've done some night cruises.  They are always nice, slow and peaceful!

We have some real pieces of work that float in front of our house and play crazy loud music and sing at 4 am some times on their toon. Times like that I wish I was a navy seal...

We plan to be out later this summer as the wife stopped working and won't have to get up at 5am.

We go out quite often at night. Usually just around our fairly small lake however the dock lights on the front of the boat provide more than enough light for me to see my way through the channel to go to the other lakes. Not much beats a slow night cruise with an adult beverage, my dog sitting on top of the sun deck and the radio softly playing.

And you do realize that docking lights are only supposed to be used for docking and not running at night.

Lots of night boat cruises, Wife's high school friends really like the evening wine cruises around the lake. Lots of colorful lights reflecting off the water,  Good friends, Good wine & Good music!

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
Says who? Hell everyone uses them to navigate through the channels that way. I wasn't aware of a law that forbid it.

How many people boat after dark? On our lake. 3 people during the week and 3Bucktrillion on the July 4th weekend.

I'm one of the three.

We have been enroute to our marina ramp when it was getting dark but we have never been out on the lake when it was actually dark and we had to navigate our way back except....................when we went to see the Charlotte Symphony at the power plant at Lake Norman courtesy of Carl and Suzie Wagner aboard "Jersey Girl". Carl did an excellent job finding way back to his house and it was pitch black...........

Lots of night boat cruises, Wife's high school friends really like the evening wine cruises around the lake. Lots of colorful lights reflecting off the wate, Good friends, Good wine & Good music!

RiverBill
Your wife is in high school? How did you do that???

Well I'd have to research that for Michigan but if it is a law than it's never enforced on our chain of lakes (thankfully). On July 4 after the fireworks are over everyone uses them as they leave. There is typically a county sheriff in their boat sitting off to the edge and I have never seen anyone pulled over afterwards. One of the reasons I moved out to Jackson County was because there aren't a bunch of senseless ordinances here.

Riverbill I was just in your neck of the woods last week! (Lake Elsinore) I did not go out on the giant pond at night. (Keeping it on topic)

Love the night! We do many moon light cruises after dinner on the lake. Sometimes we head out to watch the Purple Martins roost (thousands of them) and the sun set, then cruise around for a while. I really like the week nights with no moon the best, not many boats out and I guess a million stars can be seen. This is when my rear loungers and cup holders are thoroughly enjoyed.

Steve

We go out very often at night.  Like Carl, a drive home from one of the restaurants or for a sunset cocktail cruise but also we head our after it is pitch black; glad I have the Garmin 531 chartplotter.  For us it is the fact that we have all LED options, cup holders, bimini. sidelights and underwater lights that makes night cruising so enjoyable.  Many times that is when we have a full load of our neighbors with us, and that is when we cruise super slow

We have not gone out at night .We can watch the fireworks from our slip .

I took a Michigan boating class last year .

Navigation lights are for while under way .

Docking lights are for docking .

Anchor / Mooring light is for while anchored .

It all depends on how and if  they are enforced .

Thats good info Dave . Other states are most likely the same .

Back