How many people boat after dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm glad they don't enforce it on our chain of lakes...would be extremely difficult and unsafe to attempt to navigate through the channels without them.  I suppose I could carry a handheld spot light but that's pretty cumbersome. 

What lake are you on?

The Michigan Center (just East of Jackson, MI) chain of lakes.  We live on Round Lake which is the most western lake of the chain.  My lake is only 45 acres but we often take the (quite windy) channel to the next lake over (Center Lake) which is 860 acres.  I'm not exaggerating.....everyone uses their docking lights on the lakes...not so much in the open water as they don't really help for that, but they are a must in the channels when it's dark out.

You can check with your local sheriff ( or who ever patrols your lakes ) they may allow exceptions .

I went to our local sherrif's office last week to check on registration numbers .

I plan on using  these " http://shop.domednumbers.com/product/bennington-solid-chrome "

Even though they meet Michigan requirements , it is the county sheriff that is  going to enforce it .

They did say OK with a Red boat ( contrast ) other colors they may not approve .

I also kept their name and date I spoke to them ,just in case .

Yeah the County Sherrif is the one out here the most although the DNR is out there from time to time as well but again, the only time I have ever seen them out at night is after the July 4 fireworks and really they're only looking for the drunks...which is fine by me.

We actually had the USCG out one time last year ,I thought it was odd ( so did every one else I spoke to ) being it is an inland lake and about an 8 hr trip from Lake Huron .

Our county sheriff's use jet ski's .

We love to be out on the lake at night, Very peaceful . My docking lights on my 2011 2275RL are absolutely worthless I cant imagine driving with them. We use chart plotter and spotlight to stay in the channel on Old Hickory Lake in Tenn. Anyone have any advice on a real good spotlight, I'm using a small Stanley rechargeable now. Its the best I have found. Looking for something a little more powerful. to reach out to the buoys.

I believe it's a National Law. Dock lights can disrupt your night vision if they're on from another boat heading to you. Good night vision is all you need to get around. There is generally plenty of background light on land to SEE you through. Think of the other guy.

Night cruises are some of the most enjoyable for us. Not a ripple on the lake, soft music, a cocktail, and a frequent serenade from the Loons. Add in a full moon on a clear night and nothing beats it.

While we have all the lighting on our boat, we use it pretty sparingly once full darkness arrives. Most everyone on the Chain is good about their use of boat lighting.

We used to pick people up from the docks in the runabout after dark to take out to the houseboat.  I would run with no lights ( the reflections of the running lights and gauges would night blind you).   Every 10 secs I would close my eyes and turn the lights on for an instant.   Just had to hope somebody else wasn't doing the same thing. Our lake is long but not wide so you could tell the difference between the water and shore line.  Sometimes we were 10 miles from the dock.   It was fun running the jet boat at 40mph at 1 am and not a sober person in the boat.  Somehow we survived and never hurt anybody.  Then one day we grew up.  Still having as much fun though. 

There are handheld flashlights today that are more powerful and shoot a nicer beam (without hotspots or "holes") that are only slightly larger (fatter, mostly) than a 2 AA cell Maglite.  You can do a little research on www.candlepowerforums.com.  I used to do reviews on that site but I haven't been on there much lately.  I like the FENIX brand lights - some of them have built in strobe and SOS functions.  There are many others but you can't go wrong with Fenix for choice and simplicity.  The only thing that turns some people off are the batteries some of them use.  You CAN find good ones that take AA batteries but the ones that are the most "fun" use either the one time CR123 cells or rechargeable "18650" cells.  You can buy the 18650 cells for $5 to $12 each and a charger (which you'll need because they are lithium ion) for $10 to $20.  The CR123 cells are cheaper online or in a gun store than anywhere else.  That is the way to go for a seldom used light.  The rated shelf life of the batteries is 10 years.  Frequent users should go rechargeable.

I'm not exaggerating. . . one handheld light smaller than a 2 C cell light will throw the same amount light as a car headlight or MORE!  I plan on using a Fenix TK-40 (discontinued but replaced by the 45 or higher) as my dedicated light on the boat.  It's a little larger because it holds 8 AAs but it will run on high for many hours and puts out an insane amount of light and has the SOS feature.

Wow that TK-75 looks sweet.  Just wonder what the actual run time is on that thing.  Very nice.  Might have to get that.

Wow, those are some sweet flashlights. Price doesn't seem bad for what it looks like in quality.

There are handheld flashlights today that are more powerful and shoot a nicer beam (without hotspots or "holes") that are only slightly larger (fatter, mostly) than a 2 AA cell Maglite.  You can do a little research on www.candlepowerforums.com.  I used to do reviews on that site but I haven't been on there much lately.  I like the FENIX brand lights - some of them have built in strobe and SOS functions.  There are many others but you can't go wrong with Fenix for choice and simplicity.  The only thing that turns some people off are the batteries some of them use.  You CAN find good ones that take AA batteries but the ones that are the most "fun" use either the one time CR123 cells or rechargeable "18650" cells.  You can buy the 18650 cells for $5 to $12 each and a charger (which you'll need because they are lithium ion) for $10 to $20.  The CR123 cells are cheaper online or in a gun store than anywhere else.  That is the way to go for a seldom used light.  The rated shelf life of the batteries is 10 years.  Frequent users should go rechargeable.

I'm not exaggerating. . . one handheld light smaller than a 2 C cell light will throw the same amount light as a car headlight or MORE!  I plan on using a Fenix TK-40 (discontinued but replaced by the 45 or higher) as my dedicated light on the boat.  It's a little larger because it holds 8 AAs but it will run on high for many hours and puts out an insane amount of light and has the SOS feature.
 I have a Fenix but a smaller model and a Streamlight that use the CR123's. The amount of light (lumens) output is unbelievable.

Those that have a Menards nearby, they sell a 3 pack of highpowered "tactical" style flashlights on sale occasionally for $15.  So $5 per flashlight.  They use 3 AAA batteries, and batteries come with them in the blisterpack.  They are INCREDIBLY bright.  At that price, I keep one in all the cars, on the boat, and a few places in the house for power outages.  They send a beam through the air that looks like the Bat signal (yes, that's Batman). 

I found them on the Menards website:

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/batteries-flashlights/flashlights/handheld-flashlights/x-tactical-160-lumen-flashlight-3-pack/p-1955022-c-6314.htm

Looks like they are out of stock online and at every store near me.  If you can find them, get them.  You won't be disappointed.

If you go AA or AAA on a high powered light, set yourself up with NIMH rechargeable batteries.  Even thought the voltage is lower than alkalines, the nimh will make the light brighter because alkaline battery's voltage drops much MORE than nimh's does under heavy loads.  If the light is going to be seldom used, get Eneloop nimh batteries as they hold their charge for a year and are always ready to go.  You trade off a little capacity so if it's a daily use light, get regular nimhs.  Batteryjunction.com is a good site to shop on for batteries, chargers and good flashlights.

I'm curious if many people take their boat out at night.

The only time I really go out after dark is the on 4th of July when they launch fireworks over the lake, or sitting in the boat at the marina.

It can get pretty interesting when everyone is heading back to the marina at the same time.
For me it is the best time to be on the water

The night sky, the peaceful sound of nature.

The lights along the shoreline

It is all about seeing the sunset on the water and cruising the night away

75219869.jpg

Back