Is a double black bimini hot??

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a new Benny in black and wanted a matching double black bimini top.  The dealer doesn't suggest a black top as people have complained it's too hot - particularly if you're going to spend most of your time anchored, as we would.  He's suggesting I get the taupe color - I'm not a fan.  I really prefer black but am concerned about the heat factor.  Can anyone give me some advice?  Thanks!

I have the dark blue top.  It isn't hot as long as a light breeze is blowing.  Any color is going to be hot without a breeze.  Get the black and enjoy.  I think the black would set the boat off, good choice.

I understand what your concern is with the black Bimini. I too have the concern it wood be hot. Mt wife wanted the black Bimini and I wanted something that would be cooler. Will we all know who won that battle. I was surprised, the black bimini looks great and I can't tell it's any hotter than the light blue Bimini I had on my other boat. Now I only have one Bimini. I won that battle my wife want the double. We're glad we got just one Bimini. Enjoy your new ride.

I switched from black to a blue boat/bimini for my first purchase (hope to get delivered to the lake tomorrow).  I asked the dealer about black and he said he couldn't tell the difference.  I went ahead with the blue because of possible resale issue thinking that a potential buyer might have the same thoughts as you're having and I had about the black.  I think it's just perception, but don't have any experience yet.

Thanks everyone!  I much prefer the look of a black boat with matching black top.

We have the black on ours, haven't had any problems yet.  

Get the Black .Yes it will be hot ,and it will look good .

I have the black Bimini on a black boat. Heat hasn't been an issue at all (I'm under it all the time). We probably do more slow cruising than anchoring, but I do sit on it at the dock all the time.

Black bimini has not been a problem for us! I am surprised about that too!

We spent 3-4 hours recently working under it, parked in the marina (installing fish locator, applying 303 protectant), and our bimini being black was a non-issue! Was great shade! We really like it, especially after that test! (we've also anchored on sunny days with it open, same thing: no problem!) 

Last edited by a moderator:
But wait!!!, Check out the taupe on this rig. In Texas we have no regrets. And Now through Labor Day both tops are up.

And Yes it is much coooooler, I bet by a noticeable amount, (Test pending by someone not so biased) 

Just saying

It's a Benni .... No matter what the color, they are "Hot" ..... Looking that is !!! I have Dark Blue, don't notice any radiant heat off it. When it's too hot .... I pop it up and it's hard to believe it's actually more comfortable under that dark color.

Ditto what SEMPER said... When we picked up our boat at the dealers one of the sales people said "we'd be glad we got black as it was not as hot as a lighter color". At the time I didn't know if that could possibly be true or if it was bs & she was just stroking our ego's because we already had black. As it turned out it really was quite comfortable working under it for shade and we were sitting idle. Looks cool too B)   (I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose though!)

We have a black double bimini and this is our 3rd summer and have had no complaints and the black definitely looks good with the black boat.  I would buy it again and again. 

You will love whatever you get, because you will have the best.

Roy

I have the black Bimini and don't notice any significant difference in the heat factor. It might be a little warmer than other colors I've had but not enough to matter. It really has a nice look, go for it!

I haven't had my black bimini in super hot weather yet, but so far it's been awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything. No offense to the blue and red guys, but the black looks the best! But then again, ask me in two weeks after I come back from a week on Lake Powell with 90+ degree temps for a week. :)

cathedral-in-the-desert-34.jpg

Gotta ask, please id the items between the seat in front of the cooler. and once again Great Pix!

Looks like camping seats to me ......

Probably right SemperFi, that would be much more comfortable and easier to carry than lawn chairs :rolleyes:

Back