Lake and Marina “Neighbor” Rants:

THANKS for sharing this story, with all its insights!!! I am retiring from my professional “career” job this June. I will look into these items locally where our cottage is located. Should things continue as they started out last year, I will give fair warning to owners, and proceed similarly to what you did.

That said, towards the end of summer, it really got better when the owners tightened up their rental agreement even more. It’s good to know there are likely options out there. Especially since the VRBO next to us is almost exclusively a rental. The owners only come up about 3-4 weeks a year, spread pretty incrementally throughout the year as best I can ascertain.

All of that said, as another member pointed out on another thread - if not for this VRBO situation last summer, I would not have installed our security cameras. Without those cameras, we would not have caught the snowmobile accident and fire on our lakeside cottage deck. Without immediate alert notice and our 911 call, firefighters would not have been notified in time (all volunteer department can slow call times even more). And that would have led to losing the entire place. Someone above working in mysterious ways!?!

OK Jeff, I will bite...I noticed you said you'll be retiring from your professional job in June. I believe you have stated your High School teacher. So what is your plan? More time at the lake? Trying something new?.....Sound exciting no matter what. And if you don't want to say, I understand.

OK Jeff, I will bite...I noticed you said you'll be retiring from your professional job in June. I believe you have stated your High School teacher. So what is your plan? More time at the lake? Trying something new?.....Sound exciting no matter what. And if you don't want to say, I understand.

Good memory Ray - Yes, high school teacher. I am not entirely committed to a specific set of future plans. I am looking to be in a partial retirement: main goal is certainly more cottage time, but also wanting more time to help parents/family, and start doing volunteer work. Also, with a few health issues, and frankly issues in my profession, I am looking to remove myself from some of the demands of the profession for personal health and well being reasons. I am a young guy in the scheme of things, and I will have a small income gap to make up so that we do not see any family income drop in the next 5-10 years.

That is where my indecision rests. I can make up that smaller gap doing lower key jobs, from part time work, to substitute teaching in the spring and fall, or perhaps teaching 1-2 online classes a year. Those are much less demanding, and I could easily do those sorts of options. :)

I have also had both my insurance agent, and the President of the company that manages my 403(b) give me recruitment sales pitches. I have also had outreach in regards to educational lobbying/advocacy work, as well as been approached about doing some program outreach work with MSU. And there is always the option of teaching part time at the post secondary level at MSU or LCC (both nearby). Most of these options entail moving in a somewhat second career direction. I am not sure if that is what I want to do vs. simply hedging an income gap for 5-10 years before moving into a more full time retirement. That said, the recruitment pitches are flattering and intriguing.

Having been the second income to my wife’s career my entire adult life, I am intrigued by the possibilities of something different, a couple of which have higher up sides financially. However, I am not sure that is where my motivation rests given we are set up for me to step back without needing a full second job or career. Having had a very fulfilling and successful career as an educator, I personally prefer to move more in a retirement direction.

If this were some Dear Abby Post inquiring about retirement advice, I would title myself:
“Conflicted in Michigan” :D

Update: This summer was another adventure in living next to a VRBO. Year 2 of the neighboring cottage being a VRBO started out rough with bonfires and late night noise - even on weeknights/work days. That has improved with the assistance of the home owners tightening up their rental agreement again. Although they limit occupancy to 8 in their renal agreement, there are regularly 10-12 staying next door. I’d say 50% or more of the people renting this past summer exceeded their occupancy limit. We also have a fair amount of people wandering into our yard “sightseeing”. I have since put up a no trespassing sign between the properties.

The biggest problem happened in late July. A family had a rental pontoon moored up instead of tied off at the dock. It broke lose. Slide along my starboard pontoon scuffing, scraping and denting it along its length. Their rental boat then became lodged into our dock and sea wall (Pics). It’s an unfortunate and maddening situation. I am now stuck spending time trying to find a remedy, and then trying to get the responsibility parties to cover the costs. I pray I can get it resolved this off season with minimal hassles or legal interventions.

Now the positive: Township has been reviewing the issue of short term rentals (STR) this past year. They apparently already had ordinances forbidding them in R-1 residential areas (that is our area). They voted in July to stick with the pre-existing ban and strengthen penalties for violators. The township sent out a letter to all property owners letting them know that after Oct 1 they will enforce the ordinances when complaints are called in and follow up with fines, and for repeat renters, prosecution.

There are 5 of us homeowners immediately near and next door to this rental, and another new one that popped up this year, on our street. Everyone has said they plan to report any rental activity after that date. To be clear, the ordinance bans STR’s. Thus ANY renter is a violation one can complain about; it does not need to involve any other civil disruptions, noice nuisances, etc... Just the fact renters are staying there is grounds for a compliant.

It is too bad this is what it comes to, but it is what it is. I hope as this upcoming year unfolds this situation changes drastically. The fines add up quickly, and the act of prosecution should properties continue to be rented in violation of ordinance certainly puts teeth into the enforcement of it all.

9445CAA0-CC66-475E-AF34-206F0C9B1F4D.jpeg 0C672F6C-2468-49D9-92B6-5540FAE504AE.jpeg 7498DE3D-3403-450B-82C4-636A442190EF.jpeg 927CF067-8C68-464C-82EF-9B12E32B29DB.jpeg 17FEF301-6CBB-4B45-90D9-C8836DFC3AB1.jpeg A5050D6A-0F66-4435-B667-974A54178B01.jpeg

Sorry to read about your issues. Minor damage is sometimes harder to fix that a full blown wreck. I hope you can find a solution and get the responsible party to pay for it.
We have rental pontoons all over the place here at LOTO. The boats all lined up at the docks during off times looks like a fleet of demalition derby boats. The front ends all caved in from overloading the front seats with people and then sticking the front of the boat into big waves. I don't understand how they can rent a boat to people that have no experience or clue what they are doing.

Glad to hear, it sounds like you will finally have some resolution to the headaches.

I think you’ll see a for sale sign next door soon. Sucks but you shouldn’t have to live in an environment like that.

Im waiting for a post that your knee surgery is bogus and the surgeon left his lunch in there or something crazy. You literally have the worst luck.

I think you’ll see a for sale sign next door soon. Sucks but you shouldn’t have to live in an environment like that.

Im waiting for a post that your knee surgery is bogus and the surgeon left his lunch in there or something crazy. You literally have the worst luck.

Hey now, don’t Jinx that reconstructed knee. ;) That’s been doing GREAT since completing rehab. I am confident I am 100% healed up, and frankly, better than before the injury. That said, luck has not been my lady since the spring of 2019. Good thing I am not a gambler. I’d be bankrupt...and without a Benny. :p

Whatever you do in semi retirement/retirement....... Stay Busy! We retired and moved to the lake. We both have PT jobs 2 or 3 days a week to stay busy. Boat days are usually Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday and some Mondays. We don't have to work but enjoy it when we do.

I think it would be fun delivering boats for a local dealer/marina as a retirement job.

Andy, are you still on track to retire at 50?

Trust me, it's a worthy goal. I made it to 61. I love every minute of retirement. And I DO NOT need to "work" to keep me busy. I have plenty to do.

I think it would be fun delivering boats for a local dealer/marina as a retirement job.
I would like to sell boats in early retirement.

Interesting thread, and makes me thankful I have great lake neighbors....sorry you have to deal with that crap!

I think you’ll see a for sale sign next door soon.
We contacted them about a possible sale but they said they're going to keep it. They also mentioned that the neighbors would soon find out that the VRBO folks would be easier to tolerate than they will be... Yikes!

We contacted them about a possible sale but they said they're going to keep it. They also mentioned that the neighbors would soon find out that the VRBO folks would be easier to tolerate than they will be... Yikes!

Wow. They sound like scum bags. Two can tango.

Andy, are you still on track to retire at 50?

Trust me, it's a worthy goal. I made it to 61. I love every minute of retirement. And I DO NOT need to "work" to keep me busy. I have plenty to do.

My goal is to retire as soon as possible so we'll see what that is! My wife is now a realtor down here for the past year and is doing great so that helps as well. I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy so I'm sure I could stay busy too.

My goal is to retire as soon as possible so we'll see what that is! My wife is now a realtor down here for the past year and is doing great so that helps as well. I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy so I'm sure I could stay busy too.

Think I can help you Lakeliving, my lawn needs raking and my gutters could use some cleaning

Yeah, but they’ll have to tolerate all the neighbors too. Sound like a couple of self centered a**hats.

Back