Lifting strakes in action

hapehour

Reaction score
Heres a video I did today of my 22sslx with elip toons and lifting strakes and a 90 hp yamaha. Speed was 31mph, video is a little shaky but you will get the idea.HAPEHOUR

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuqUqDtB4wM

Dang you're making me want to be on the water!! Here, see if this works as a link

So people don't have to cut and paste it.

You don't have to have tritoons to get speed when you've got strakes to get the nosecones out of the water. And the Wave Shield is a much needed option with strakes.

But if you're into water sports like pulling tubers, tritoons, Wave Shields and hydraulic steering are required because they just handle so much better.

Can I ask what the rest of your set up was. What hole was the motor mounted in, what prop your using, and what was your rpms were.

If you don't mind

I wish I would have had the under shield added. I guess that will be a winter project. I'll have to get a video of mine in action soon. Thanks for sharing

Nice video. Amazing how fast 30 mph seems in a toon !!!

CLRD, I will have to look at the mounting and prop size next time at on the boat. I was running at 5900rpm. 32'' elip toons with strakes and a waveshield and a 90hp yamaha with the sea star hydraulic steering.If anyone has any videos to share let`s see them, dont be stingy..lol HAPEHOUR

I wish I would have had the under shield added. I guess that will be a winter project. I'll have to get a video of mine in action soon. Thanks for sharing
The wave shield was one of the main reasons I cancelled and reordered .

Can't wait until we get a calm day

Is it just me, or does this video also show (near the end of the clip) a similar "spray" to the one CLRD posted the other day, only a few feet further back?

http://club.benningt...e__hl__drowning

Hapehour has ellipticals, CLRD has 25 inch... Could be the difference.

I realize CLRD's spray is coming up and onto the motor much more than Hapehour's does (his just goes straight up), but that could easily be because a pontoon boat is not at all aerodynamic, and the poor slipstream behind the boat near the motor might be blowing the spray inward towards the motor, whereas Happyhour's happens further back, and doesn't have the same "air turbulence"... If you've ever ridden in the bed of a pickup truck going 30 mph and spit off the back, you'd know what I'm talking about. Since the back of the pontoon is different on both sides (one side has the gate, the other has the sundeck) that might explain why it is only happening on one side of the boat, near the transducer. Might not be the transducer at all...

If you look at the water near the surface of the lake, right where the spray seems to come straight up at that weird 90 degree angle, they both look similar to me right in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another video on my you tube channel of my wife driving last year before I put on the wave shield. It`s a big difference. The wake off my boat looks like a speed boat now, before it was fairly calm. I do notice a little more spray on the rear of the boat but its no big deal...HAPEHOUR

The spray on my motor as I showed in my earlier post (Motor Drowning) was resolved by eliminating the Garmin transducer, I did install a new hummingbird transducer in a different location. You can see the new install in my gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
Back