Lining the struts between the pontoons

The speed of the boat has as much to do with it as the size of the lake. This video shows that 15 mph is the point at which underskinning becomes necessary on a two log hull.

Thanks for the video ,that is convincing enough for me .

I am going back to the dealer on Wednesday ( $400)

Is there any videos of this with a Bennington? How would lifting strakes affect this? I wonder how long it takes for the dealer to install this?

Lifting strakes do what they say and lift the boat. Underskinning gives you a smoother ride. Neither affects the other. I've said it before, all toons should be skinned.

I did not make it to the dealer yesterday .

Question though what is the difference between ," Underdeck Wave Shield " and the " Wave Tamer "

From the build site "Underdeck Wave Shield (18/20) Deflects water from the bottom of the deck, with reduces "surging" and enhances the soft, quite ride in rough water. (Wave tamer option for boats equipped with standard 25in pontoons.)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart move. B)

I love the look that it give to the under carriage! I imagine this would definitely help when crossing some of the bigger lakes with choppy water. Going to see if my dealer does this and how much they charge.

After reading the topics regarding ,wave shields ,under skinning and such .

I just went to the dealer to add it to my order .

He told me I do not need it .

He said I'll be happy to take your money and get more profit but, I still don't need it .

The lake my marina is on, is inland and the size is 2352 acres

It is listed as a " wave tamer " on the Bennington site ,is that the same ?

Thanks in advance.
It's funny, how from dealer to dealer the ideas and thoughts change. When I ordered my Benny, the dealer put that on my build list and told me he'd take it off if I wanted. He said it just adds to the ride and quietness and just doesn't make sense to order without it. After seeing that video, no regrets!!!

Guess I'm glad I'm on a restricted 20hp lake. I max out around 13mph ......... :)

Guess I'm glad I'm on a restricted 20hp lake. I max out around 13mph ......... :)
Woohoo, feel the wind in your hair!! I kinda wish we were, then all those wakeboarding boats wouldn't be there, not to mention I'd have saved a WHOLE lot of money on my motor!!

Woohoo, feel the wind in your hair!! I kinda wish we were, then all those wakeboarding boats wouldn't be there, not to mention I'd have saved a WHOLE lot of money on my motor!!
Yeah, when we want to feel like we are going really fast, we turn into the wind ...... :)

We are just as happy on the lake as we were on the river, just a smaller area now ......

I love the look that it give to the under carriage! I imagine this would definitely help when crossing some of the bigger lakes with choppy water. Going to see if my dealer does this and how much they charge.
Were you able to add it ?

I just bought my first Benny (2375GCW) with the underskin. This is my third pontoon in as many years, and my first with an underskin. I can't believe the difference it makes on rough water! My last boat would have wet carpet after a 15 minute cruise from the water hitting the bottom of the deck. I wouldn't have another without it! IMHO.....GET IT!

Maynard, great info...thanks for posting. I want to do something similar for our new (to us) 2080RL. When we first got it, the best speed was 20.5. The pontoon was a study in hydraulics and fluid dynamics rather than optimizing the thrust line with the center of drag. After lifting the motor 3 3/4" and going from a 13p to a 15p prop, we have 25.7 @ 5800RPM with full fuel and one aboard. From the tests so far, I think the only way to get any more efficiency/speed is additional drag reduction. The way I want to address that first is with a wave shield. Our old JC Sun Toon had one that covered the tube risers too. It, like others I've seen use .063" sheet (1/16" or 16 gauge, sometimes called 14 gauge). Initially thought unpolished .063" diamond plate (slick side down) would work, but I like your use of .032 sheet as my speed won't be very high anyway.

So two questions: Where did you get the aluminum sheeting? And, did you consider shielding the tube risers too? I plan to do mine as I've seen significant water flowing there and that can't be good for the drag profile. Currently, I don't have access to a sheet metal break, but maybe separate pieces will work just as well...? Thanks, Win

Check for a post by Hapehour, he did this to his and it seemed to turn out great for him

Maynard

Just wanted to thank you for all the good info. You did a very nice job. You should be proud

lakeliving, thanks...got it

Back