Lowrance Elite-5

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at this unit. Do any of you have any experience with it, and would tell me about this product?

Lowrance 000-11172-001 Elite-5 HDI Combo with Navionics Gold U.S. Charts and 50/200-455/800KHz Transducer

51btSuZGHLL.jpg

Not sure about product, but will you have ability to mount without interference?

Not really sure about that, yet, S-Fi. Regarding "interference", do you mean enough room on the helm?

Yes. I just installed a Garmin 53DV on my RLi elevated helm and it fit with very little room to spare. 

On our 2013 current boat we have a lowrance, can't recall the model, but we like it so much our dealer will be installing a lowrance hook 7 on the new boat.  Don't know about the exact model you posted, but the ones we looked at including the new hook line we just love.  The GPS is very accurate as well as water temp, speedometer, fish finder all of them can be customized to how you like it and can have up to 3 different "pages" up on the screen at once.  Once we get our new boat, should be next week sometime, I'll take some pictures of it.

Spoiledrotten,

i purchased the Lowrance Elite 5 CHIRP last year which is the successor to the model you are looking at.  The CHIRP technology is more advanced and gives greater detail in structure and accuracy than the HDI technology.  You can do an Internet search on these which is very informative.  I mounted mine on the rail next to the helm with a RAM mount.  I can remove the unit when I leave the boat with a quick release trigger.  The nice thing having it mounted this way is it can swivel depending on where on the boat I am fishing as well.  Great unit, lots of features.  Tough to beat a Lowrance and particularly given the versatility of this unit.  I did all the install myself; you may need an extension for transducer as it only comes with a 20 foot cord and mount the transducer as low on the pontoon bracket as possible to avoid the turbulence made by the toon giving poor readings.  At 30 mph mine continues to read the bottom.  Good solid unit.

I scratched the Lowrance, and went with the Garmin Striker 5DV. The only thing it doesn't have is the lake maps, but then I wouldn't like looking at that small of a map, anyway. We always have our iPhones and iPads if I need to pull up a map of the area. 

fishfinder-gps-garmin-striker-5dv-z-1346-134622.jpg

Glad you went with something you liked!  Personally for us, we like the lake maps because you never know where you might end up or go to a lake you never been before and we can always trace our route back to the dock (forgot the name of that feature).  I also like how it shows where the boat landings are, any parks or restaurants/bars on the lake.

Let us know how you like it after some time playing with it!

Glad you went with something you liked!  Personally for us, we like the lake maps because you never know where you might end up or go to a lake you never been before and we can always trace our route back to the dock (forgot the name of that feature).  I also like how it shows where the boat landings are, any parks or restaurants/bars on the lake.

Let us know how you like it after some time playing with it!

Thanks, hma95. That feature is called Waypoint, and this Garmin does have that feature. The description states that it has a very sensative GPS for that reason. You can set it to record your path around stumps, fishing hotspots, back to docks or restaurants, or anything else you may need to find later. When you want to go back, just pull up the saved route, and follow the line it gives you. Very cool feature.

In that shot of the unit, the portion of the screen on the left is, in fact, that feature. 

• 5 inch color fishfinder
  • High sensitivity GPS for waypoint marking
  • Built in CHIRP DownVu Sonar
  • Boat speed display
  • Waypoint map

The Striker 5dv fishfinder is a great solution for the serious fisherman. Rugged and waterproof, the Striker 5dv is ready to go to work and withstand the elements. A high sensitivity internal GPS allows you to mark waypoints and get from one point to another. Although you cannot add detailed mapping to this unit, you can still locate and save boat ramps, docks, favorite hot spots, etc. A 5 inch color display makes it very easy to see bottom views and all of the waypoints you have marked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Garmin Striker 5DV mounted last evening, ran the transducer cable, and (eeek!) drilled the hole in the helm. Now, all I have to do is wire it to the power, get back under and secure the xdcr cable, and I'll do that this evening then most likely, put it in the water to see how it works. 

The only issue I ran in to was that it gets in the way just a tad at WOT (WOT sitting in my driveway with the motor off, so I just went through the motion with the throttle). Very seldom do I ever go over 4500 RPM. That's what I'll be testing as well this evening. I know that I go WOT almost never, and even when you hit top speed on mine, there's still some space at the top where it doesn't do anything except advance the control, so I'm hoping that my top speed has already been reached before I get to touching the finder. I just couldn't find another place to put it where it would look okay and still be functional. BTW, I now have two depth finders. I started to remove the Echo 101, but that would leave a gaping hole in the help, and the new one wouldn't quite cover it all, plus I'd have the same problem with the new as I do with the old in that I'd have to look way down and around the steering wheel to see what's going on. I didn't like that with the original. So, now I have a backup just in case the new one goes on the blinks. I have my new xdcr mounted beside the original. Had plenty of cable to make the run. If it gets in the way of full throttle, all I have to do is turn the Garmin sideways until I get done with the WOT. I do like the swivel mount.

Nice!  Pics?  When we were able to see our boat on Tuesday, we had to let them know where we wanted the our Lowrance mounted.  The only place we could put it was on the left side and the thing is HUGE!  I'll take some pics when we pick her up hopefully tomorrow.

Always nice having a backup!  We wish we did last year when we had problems with the sensor.

I'll get some pics this afternoon. I was too sweaty to mess with them, yesterday. Plus, still a little stressed about drilling holes, and worrying about the throttle issue, but that quickly passed. I'm telling myself that it won't be an issue. I've got to go by somewhere and pick up some clear silicone calking to seal the hole after fishing the two cables through the helm. And I think I have some vinyl paint very close to the same color as the helm, so hopefully, it will look pretty good.... as far as wires sticking up through the surface goes. 

I had also thought about using the Scotty mount for finders

ZZ27684_L.jpg

since I already have those in various places on the boat, but wasn't sure I wanted the finder hanging over the rail. Might look a little odd.

Like Jack's, it looks crooked, but it's level when pointing straight back. The unit does get get in the way of WOT, but I can get to 5200 RPM before the throttle touches the unit. I very seldom go over 4500, and mostly keep it below 4000. If I want to open it up, I can tilt the unit straight up and carry the throttle to the helm.

DEC72CC9-A110-41FD-B3C0-355E2F552193.jpg

A01702FA-D36A-4165-9C6D-95EA30D95A5E.jpg

5A8EA009-BED7-4790-8506-630732ED0ED6.jpg

CC0D9C32-5523-4E6A-9934-8CED87215B87.jpg

Lotta redundancy. A good thing.

@Spoiledrotten  Got our boat today and took some pics for you.  We really like how everything is setup and out of the way.

/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160617_173024713.jpg.9632408b06322e239403cec4dad81396.jpg/monthly_2016_06/large.IMG_20160617_173012046.jpg.1fad7bd2dec0881723c605032fe0d42e.jpg

Congratulations!

Back