Maintaining The Outboard

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
OUTBOARD MAINTENANCE 

lead_whymaintenance.jpg
[SIZE=22.6667px]From their painstaking design to their meticulous construction, outboards are manufactured to provide you with years of enjoyment. However, they live in one of the harshest environments imaginable. High load, high-RPM operation, extreme temperatures and humidity, saltwater, sun, even long periods of non-use can all exact a heavy toll. And it’s not just Yamaha outboards. All outboards face these same challenges. Regular maintenance is important in helping your outboard meet the demands of these challenging environments, and only you can make sure it happens.[/SIZE]

why_maintenace_vmax_250_engine.jpg
Spending a relatively small amount of time making sure your outboard’s in proper condition is simple to do, and:

• You’ll have more hours of trouble-free enjoyment on the water.
  • You’ll preserve your investment with a higher resale value.
  • Your boat will be ready when you are.
  • It’s easier and costs less to maintain than repair.
  • Your dealers stand ready to help.

What are the basics? Keep your outboard ready to run with basic maintenance like:

• Changing engine and lower unit oils every 100 hours
  • Flushing regularly
  • Replacing fuel filters periodically
  • Helping to prevent corrosion

Outboard maintenance doesn’t need to be difficult or expensive. 

Yamaha is the only outboard manufacturer to receive the coveted CSI® award for customer satisfaction from the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA®) every year since its inception (2002).

125327267.jpg

Hope This Reminder Helps The Newbies and The Rest of Us as Well :)

e09fc48d82c7fbb72d2b6d5035af4028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree.  For new boat owners: These motors are NOT like an automobile motor - especially if in a saltwater environment.  Make sure you've got a good maintenance program, and you'll get many years worth of enjoyment out of it.  If you do your own maintenance on a Yamaha motor, here's a guy who is a former Yamaha tech and has a great YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3M46EyC4mzTqqgG6Fs6G6w

Here's a good first start (100 hr service)

I have never flushed mine

The water quality here is of the highest standard 

Water is tested monthly and is said to be of drinking quality 

WIll do more harm flushing as tap water is hard (lol) 

131373819.jpg

You only need to flush it if you're in saltwater.

The best thing for the motor is to use it often, you would be surprised how letting a boat sit idle will affect performance. plus you have another reason to go boating.

Yes.  Motors need to have oil circulated, parts need to move, anything that is lubricated needs to move to prevent rust, corrosion, or freezing up.  Even if you only go out and start it once/week (obviously you may not be able to do it in the dead of winter in some places) your motor will last longer.

Today's ethanol fuel is probably the worst thing. Phase separation starts quickly. Marine Stabil or Yamaha Ring conditioner with Stabilizer is always used in our fuel. 

tcpip95

• Commodore

Posted 7 hours ago · Repo

Yes.  Motors need to have oil circulated, parts need to move, anything that is lubricated needs to move to prevent rust, corrosion, or freezing up.  Even if you only go out and start it once/week (obviously you may not be able to do it in the dead of winter in some places) your motor will last longer.

Determined to Put The Hours On This Summer 

Nothing like The Benny 

Will be on daily weather and health permitting 

131636604.jpg

Our boats I/O has never had ethanol fuel in it. Either has my tractor/mower/snowblower/weedwacker/blower. etc....

I had fuel lines of a gas blower literally disintegrate in my hands and said never again.......

Just be consistent with the maintenance of our motors.

oh wow.... 

I had fuel lines of a gas blower literally disintegrate in my hands and said never again.......

Oh wow -- so did I ... I never put 2 and 2 together,,,, ethanol was probably the culprit!!  Boat has and will always be ethanol free.  I just recently decided all my garage tools will also be ethanol free.

" I just recently decided all my garage tools will also be ethanol free."

Best thing you can do if you want them to last!

I also started running mower dry in fall and snowblower dry in spring. Fuel up, prime, fire right up.

Are you guys selling the place on Clear Lake??? I thought you just built the garage?

Yup, probably when the season starts. Life is just too darn cold here 8 months of the year and no boating. We think we can improve on that  B)

That's what we're working on as well. I look weekly for opportunities in Houston area 

Back