Maybe I am being picky. Would you question this?

cyanarella

Reaction score
2016-04-30%2018.56.45.jpg

Guys and gals... Is it normal to have a oilly watery leak after a service?

Please elaborate.

After cleaning it off, does it reappear after each use? Check the lower unit fill and drain screws. They should be moderately tight, usually have a tiny o-ring.

If those are firm and it leaks after every use, it may be a seal. Sometimes nylon fishing line gets wrapped around there and cuts them. I've had this happen on I/O's long ago.

After cleaning it off, does it reappear after each use? Check the lower unit fill and drain screws. They should be moderately tight, usually have a tiny o-ring.

If those are firm and it leaks after every use, it may be a seal. Sometimes nylon fishing line gets wrapped around there and cuts them. I've had this happen on I/O's long ago.

Yes sir... But I am wondering if it is dirty water from the dealer. Maybe they are dropping motors in buckets of water during service for cooling. I can imagine that bucket being a little oilly. 

Take it back! You paid to have that service done correctly and without leaks.

If you just had the lower unit serviced at the dealer then I would for sure take that right back to them and have that issue addressed.  Could be a seal behind the prop leaking (like mentioned before) which allow the oil to leak past and run down the skeg like that.   Doubt all that is from running the motor in a tub....our dealer here either uses muffs or backs them into the lake.   For the winterization process I ask the dealer to pull the prop (grease splines) and make sure I haven't picked up some fishing line that got wrapped around the prop shaft which could damage the seal.

If you just had the lower unit serviced at the dealer then I would for sure take that right back to them and have that issue addressed.  Could be a seal behind the prop leaking (like mentioned before) which allow the oil to leak past and run down the skeg like that.   Doubt all that is from running the motor in a tub....our dealer here either uses muffs or backs them into the lake.   For the winterization process I ask the dealer to pull the prop (grease splines) and make sure I haven't picked up some fishing line that got wrapped around the prop shaft which could damage the seal.

I shot my dealer some pictures yesterday. I had them install a fish finder as well and I found all the cut outs and shavings still in the boat. My life vests are all covered in residue. The dash bolts still left on the floor. Overall I am not happy. Too bad because this dealer came highly recommended. Definitely not as good as the dealership I bought it from. They are just 5 hours closer. 

We had this happen twice with tell-tale sign of oil in the water when motor was down. Turned out, after DIY routine maintenance, we inadvertently tightened the drain plug screw down just a tad too much and it squeezes that little o-ring causing the leakage. TOM-S is right, it should be tightened "moderately" tight. Good luck. Hope this helps. 

Got a call from the service manager this morning. He said after reviewing the pictures he would send someone down to pick up the boat or I can tow it back to them. He was completely on my side. Embarrassed and is crediting a giant portion of the bill (basically all the labor). He also said this boat wont leave without him looking at everything. I am happy. Dealer knew it was hack work. No excuses and told me to expect a call from the owner. I'm guessing the way he treated it like a big deal that this is not the norm.

Got a call from the service manager this morning. He said after reviewing the pictures he would send someone down to pick up the boat or I can tow it back to them. He was completely on my side. Embarrassed and is crediting a giant portion of the bill (basically all the labor). He also said this boat wont leave without him looking at everything. I am happy. Dealer knew it was hack work. No excuses and told me to expect a call from the owner. I'm guessing the way he treated it like a big deal that this is not the norm.

Sounds like your dealer is going to take care of you regarding this issue.  You have to count yourself lucky to have a dealer that is willing to work with you and make it right.   If they are willing to come and get it and return it to you I'd say have at it.  If you don't mind the drive and they can schedule you for same day service I'd take it to them and just wait on the boat.....go out for a bite to eat and stop back.

I'm happy to hear this is being corrected before the boat had much use. Keep us updated. 

Back