mooring cover leaves acid rain streaks

bill k

Reaction score
Hope someone can help with this problem. Black mooring cover bleeds black streaks down side of boat. I have cleaned and waxed so much I am damaging clear coat. Very stubborn stain. I was hoping for sealer for cover but have not seen one. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain: our cover is dis coloring our vinyl on the front seats as well as doing the same thing yours is doing to the sides of the boat. The cover wraps around the rub rail in the front of the boat and turns the rub rail a brown color as well. Dont know what to tell you to do about it

Hi guys, have either of you treated your cover? If not you may want to try 303 fabric guard, as well as the 303 vinyl protectant, very good products. You should also check with your dealer, as i don't think it's normal for the color to bleed out like that. Let us know how it turns out for you!

I did call dealer and their only suggestion was cleaner used to remove stain.I read about 303 ands sounds well worth a try. Thanks for input.

Be advised though...

No matter what color your cover is, you will have black streaks down the side of your boat.

Many marinas sell products touted as removing those streaks without scrubbing, and it's a frequent topic of conversation among boaters.

Basically, that black stuff is all the crap that the rain washes out of the air.

Bet you wish I hadn't told you that, right? ;)

My cover is Yellow and it left Yellow stains on the seats also. Is there anything used to remove these? I have tried 303 cleaner and it didn't clean it. Thank's for any help with this.

My cover is Yellow and it left Yellow stains on the seats also. Is there anything used to remove these? I have tried 303 cleaner and it didn't clean it. Thank's for any help with this.
Hey Ranger,

Here are a few thoughts that everyone can consider. Typically, "healthy" playpen covers do not bleed, especially onto "healthy" upholstery. More often than not, color transfer is the result of a cover cleaned incorrectly or upholstery that has lost its top coat; therefore becoming suceptable to mold, color transfer, cracking, etc. Very rarely, we do get a shipment of faulty materials, and we recognize that. Sometimes, customers think they are doing the "right thing" by using a product that makes the upholstery or cover look exceptionally clean in the short term, but the product may be deteriorating the top coat along the way. That's why we recommend a mild detergent, water and a soft brush for cleaning, followed by a protectant like 303. This holds true for the cover as well as upholstery.

If your cover and upholstery are still under warranty, please take the boat to the dealer for inspection so we can determine if the color transfer is the result of faulty materials (covered under warranty) or loss of topcoat due to maintenance. If your upholstery is out of warranty, try a small amount of mineral spirits rubbed gently over the color, followed immediately by the soap and water rinse. Use mineral spirits sparingly, as this will weaken the topcoat.

Thanks and good luck, TB

Last edited:
TB - Which 303 products are your specifically recommending for this task? Is it the 303 Aerospace Protectant?

Thanks

Eric

Hey Ranger,

Here are a few thoughts that everyone can consider. Typically, "healthy" playpen covers do not bleed, especially onto "healthy" upholstery. More often than not, color transfer is the result of a cover cleaned incorrectly or upholstery that has lost its top coat; therefore becoming suceptable to mold, color transfer, cracking, etc. Very rarely, we do get a shipment of faulty materials, and we recognize that. Sometimes, customers think they are doing the "right thing" by using a product that makes the upholstery or cover look exceptionally clean in the short term, but the product may be deteriorating the top coat along the way. That's why we recommend a mild detergent, water and a soft brush for cleaning, followed by a protectant like 303. This holds true for the cover as well as upholstery.

If your cover and upholstery are still under warranty, please take the boat to the dealer for inspection so we can determine if the color transfer is the result of faulty materials (covered under warranty) or loss of topcoat due to maintenance. If your upholstery is out of warranty, try a small amount of mineral spirits rubbed gently over the color, followed immediately by the soap and water rinse. Use mineral spirits sparingly, as this will weaken the topcoat.

Thanks and good luck, TB

Hey Ranger,

Thanks and good luck, TB
The boat and cover are only 4 months old. I have never treated the cover but did treat the upholstery with the 303 cleaner and then the protectant. The boat is at the dealer's now for some other warranty work. I will have them check it out. Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry Captain this was directed to Team Bennington.

The boat and cover are only 4 months old. I have never treated the cover but did treat the upholstery with the 303 cleaner and then the protectant. The boat is at the dealer's now for some other warranty work. I will have them check it out. Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry Captain this was directed to Team Bennington.
We have noticed that our new yellow cover has bled on to the tops of some seats. I have only used 303 cleaner and protectant on the seats. Was your issue with your yellow cover resolved?

I've been battling black streaks for years on my aluminum sided travel trailer. Black streaks come from air pollution getting in the rain and depositing on my rubber roof. When it rains, black streak water drizzles down the sides. The only thing I can do is wash the top often--a big job.

No black streak remover on the market has been successful at removing my streaks. I discovered that Awesome, purchased at Dollar General @ $1 per spray bottle, will remove black streaks with some elbow grease and a ScotchBrite pad. Unfortunately, I've also discovered that Awesome also removes a small layer of paint, as now I need to prime and repaint my travel trailer. There again, the trailer is 17 years old, and it's time for it to look like hell.

My new Bennington is kept in a boat house, and I use my mooring cover as a secondary cover to protect the seats from spider droppings. I'm going to apply 303 Fabric Protector to my mooring cover--#1 product used to protect canvas convertible tops. If black streaks off the mooring covers are a problem, I suggest finding a primary source of protection to keep the weather/rain off your boat's mooring cover--even if it's one of those aluminum framed carports.

My boat was made in May,2012, and kept inside until I bought it the first of July. My toons were streaking/tarnishing badly immediately upon purchase. I plan on the 20 hour maintenance to polish and Sharkhide my boat to keep as much shine as possible on the boat. That's about all that can be done.

A few months ago I posted that I had a problem w/black streaks on my panels and even added a couple pics.........I have done everything "right" over the 5 years that we have had our 8 yr old Bennington......I have washed the cover regularly w/car wash soap. I have treated it with 303 Fabric guard. I have waxed the panels several times each year which makes it easier to remove the streaks. (Totally Awesome cleaner that I have diluted 50/50 takes it right off ) IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU DO.........if your cover is exposed to the elements it is going to eventually fade and ours just started "bleeding" this year so we have black and burgundy streaks. Think about it........ that cover is in that hot sun or rain every day and it's doing it's job by protecting the interior. Washing it and treating it w/whatever product you use will slow the process but it's going to lose against mother nature.

One more thing.....the streaking was so bad this year it not only ran down the panels it even ran down further and I have streaks on the pontoons itself that needs removal every time we go to the lake and I have Sharkhide on them...

Do I recall Bennington adding a 'lip' to the cover edges to act as a sort of drip rail to keep drips/ run off away from the sides of the boat in an attempt to avoid the black streaks?

Do I recall Bennington adding a 'lip' to the cover edges to act as a sort of drip rail to keep drips/ run off away from the sides of the boat in an attempt to avoid the black streaks?
Yes, you are correct.

Tried it. It doesn't work. It'll just ride the lip and down the side panels as usual.............

We have noticed that our new yellow cover has bled on to the tops of some seats. I have only used 303 cleaner and protectant on the seats. Was your issue with your yellow cover resolved?
To be honest I never brought it to the dealers attention. I took the boat for other warranty work and it took most of the spring to get it back. I have noticed that it happens where the cover is folded and sewn together. It will also be where the cover rubs on the front seats. I will bring it to their attention this winter when I take it back for storage. I have used the 303 also.

Back