More Power or Express Performance Package

duck_hunter

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone. I am buying a 24sfx and was wondering where I should put my money. The question is Would you buy the Express Performance Package With a 115hp or stay with 2 tubes and go with a 150hp? What am I going to expect out of both?

Welcome duck hunter. These decisions are really tuff. I hope I can help you learn from my mistake. I wish I had done what you are doing by getting others advice before purchasing. Everyone on this forum is very helpfulll and understanding. As everyone has stated here before, you will NEVER be disappointed with to much horsepower and it will never be cheaper to purchase that horsepower than at the time of purchase. I guess the answer to your question needs some clarification as to what you want from your boat. If your looking for speed and the most inexpensive way to get it, I would suggest the 150 with two elliptical tubes with lifting strakes. This set up should get you in the mid to upper 30's mph. I currently have the two eliptical tubes with no strakes with a 115 and run 28 mph. I have continuously kicked myself in the behind for not going with the 150. We do a lot of slkiing and tubing and need just a little more speed. So again, it depends on what you want to do with it. Sorry to ramble on and keep in mind, I am no expert and this just my opinion from my mistake. I'll stop now and let others share with you.

Good luck

I'll agree with Bigtop on this one. Go for the hp, you can always add the express pkg later on. But that extra hp will make you happy right away! Take a look through the Bennington site and see about lifting strake setups to figure out what is good for now and when/if you add the express down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the twin elliptical, strakes with 150 merc pro xs on a 2275 rcw. I love the power and the ride.

I agree with the others, if you have to choose, get the hp now.

Good Todd

Thanks for the replies. I've been going round and round with my dealer on what to do. I guess the problem I have is the dealer told me that the 115hp with the Performance Package will keep up with a 2 toon with 150hp and I have a hard time believing that. I have always in the past maxed out every boat I have. I planned on doing the same with this one. The dealer also told me that Bennington is finding out that the elliptical tubes are not performing the way they were hoping. The dealer said that they are slowing down the boat. We will mostly be fishing but we will also be pulling tubes. I would like to be above 30mph. Will I get that with 2 tube and a 150hp, or will i be just under 30mph.

Hmmm. Never heard of the elips not performing well. You should be well into the 30s with 2 tubes and a 150. Go check out the thread on boat, motor, prop and performance on this forum. You'll get a good idea on where you'll be with different setups.

Also check out bennington website for their performance bulletins

Todd

Keep in mind that as a practical matter you're not going to be installing an ESP package later. Adding a 3rd tube is not a trivial exercise and you may find it difficult to find someone to do it later since most dealerships wouldn't want the liability issues or the potential complications with the factory.

Installing a new engine later is far less of an undertaking, but it's not cheap.

The fact is; however you buy your boat today is likely how it will be the day you sell it.

That's not a law of physics mind you, it's just an acknowledgment of how thing are in actual practice.

also keep in mind that twin 25" tubes and twin 32" Ellipticals are not the same thing and will perform very differently. I mention that because I'm not sure which twin-tube setup you were talking about.

You should probably begin with two questions:

1) Is it possible for me to do BOTH? Can I swing it?

2) If not, which option will better suit my needs? In other words, how big is your lake, how do you use your boat, how many people do you haul, etc.

FWIW, if push comes to shove, it is easier to up-power later on than to rebuild your tube setup to a different spec.

Keep in mind that as a practical matter you're not going to be installing an ESP package later. Adding a 3rd tube is not a trivial exercise and you may find it difficult to find someone to do it later since most dealerships wouldn't want the liability issues or the potential complications with the factory.

Installing a new engine later is far less of an undertaking, but it's not cheap.

The fact is; however you buy your boat today is likely how it will be the day you sell it.

That's not a law of physics mind you, it's just an acknowledgment of how thing are in actual practice.

also keep in mind that twin 25" tubes and twin 32" Ellipticals are not the same thing and will perform very differently. I mention that because I'm not sure which twin-tube setup you were talking about.

You should probably begin with two questions:

1) Is it possible for me to do BOTH? Can I swing it?

2) If not, which option will better suit my needs? In other words, how big is your lake, how do you use your boat, how many people do you haul, etc.

FWIW, if push comes to shove, it is easier to up-power later on than to rebuild your tube setup to a different spec.
Keep in mind that he isn't looking at adding ESP later on, only the express package. The holes are already drilled in your crossmembers, and it doesn't change your transom (as far as I can tell). So as much as you are right that realistically speaking you probably won't add it later, it isn't such a huge undertaking if you do want to. I had looked into this option as my 90hp 2x25 toons weren't quite enough for me. So now it's costing me 50 grand more to get the 200hp ESP RCW!!! Haha worth every penny though!

Derrick

I would go with 150hp with 2 ellipticals with strakes before going with the Express package with a 115hp.

Keep in mind that he isn't looking at adding ESP later on, only the express package. The holes are already drilled in your crossmembers, and it doesn't change your transom (as far as I can tell).
Good catch, but honestly, the drilled holes are a trivial issue. Anyone with a mid-sized cordless drill motor and a half-way sharp bit can make holes in aluminum quickly.

What I was really thinking of was the necessity of dealing with multiple large, heavy objects that usually take specialized equipment to work on due to their physical attributes. Or to put it in plainer English, it's like assisted animal husbandry with an elephant and a whale.

Thanks for all your great insights.

Anyone out there with a tri-toon...I am seeking some feedback about handling. Are you familiar with how a two-toon handles and can you give me a real word comparison?

thoughts on going with the 150hp and Express Performance Package?

Thanks.

Good catch, but honestly, the drilled holes are a trivial issue. Anyone with a mid-sized cordless drill motor and a half-way sharp bit can make holes in aluminum quickly.

What I was really thinking of was the necessity of dealing with multiple large, heavy objects that usually take specialized equipment to work on due to their physical attributes. Or to put it in plainer English, it's like assisted animal husbandry with an elephant and a whale.
Ahh, I see your method of thinking! I was basing the comment on your referral to liability issues and complications with the factory. I guess a roughly 16' long tube would be a bit of a pain in the butt!

I still say do the HP. I was happy with my 90 when I was zooming past the 50-60's, but a little sad when the 150 blew by me! Hehe I'll show him this summer!!

Derrick

Duck Hunter - Don't forget you'll probably need/want hydraulic steering if you go with the 150 HP. That adds another grand, +/-. Our 115 is fairly hard to steer.

I had pretty much the same question you did, but after a test drive, we decided to go with the 115 HP and express package (on a 2012 24SSL) and 6 strakes. I get 35 mph with 3 adults, one kid, and 3/4th tank of gas. At the time (last Aug/Sept) Mercury had not come out with their new 150 yet, so the price delta was even greater back then (the Verado was the 150 option). That higher price difference made the answer easier for me. That and the test drive.

What I actually did was make two price deals with my dealer, one price with a 115, and one with a 150. He put a new 115 on the boat first, but was willing to change it out for the 150 after a test drive if I didn't think it was enough motor. So, you could make an arrangement like that.

There are a couple guys here that have my set up, but with the 150, and I'm waiting for spring to see their speed results.

Thanks for all your great insights.

Anyone out there with a tri-toon...I am seeking some feedback about handling. Are you familiar with how a two-toon handles and can you give me a real word comparison?

thoughts on going with the 150hp and Express Performance Package?

Thanks.
Hey Duck_hunter, just realized a question that needs to be asked, what are you doing for steering? Hydraulic or full power steering? Or just the strength the good lord gave ya? That is something you definitely want to look at. I only had a 90HP and nothing tires your arms out like trying to dump someone off a tube with no steering assist of any kind! If I could have cranked the steering easy with my 90hp, might not have been so bad, but you get a adult on a tube who has some upper body strength, and you'll just have to wait till they get tired to dump them!haha

Just want you to think of all things. I know it seems like we all just keep telling you how to make your boat more expensive, but usually its because we were all 'once in that boat' (pun intended!)

Duck Hunter - Don't forget you'll probably need/want hydraulic steering if you go with the 150 HP. That adds another grand, +/-. Our 115 is fairly hard to steer.

I had pretty much the same question you did, but after a test drive, we decided to go with the 115 HP and express package (on a 2012 24SSL) and 6 strakes. I get 35 mph with 3 adults, one kid, and 3/4th tank of gas. At the time (last Aug/Sept) Mercury had not come out with their new 150 yet, so the price delta was even greater back then (the Verado was the 150 option). That higher price difference made the answer easier for me. That and the test drive.

What I actually did was make two price deals with my dealer, one price with a 115, and one with a 150. He put a new 115 on the boat first, but was willing to change it out for the 150 after a test drive if I didn't think it was enough motor. So, you could make an arrangement like that.

There are a couple guys here that have my set up, but with the 150, and I'm waiting for spring to see their speed results.
Crap, you beat my response by one minute! Unfortunately I was already typing when yours went up! Haha

Bulldog -

Great minds think!

(I intentionally left out the word "alike" at the end, as I prefer the shorter version and the different meaning it gives, which is in order to have a great mind, all you have to do is think. Everyone has a mind. But we all know a few that don't think much. I'm getting way off topic...)

I will give you what I already have on my order sheet

24sfx

Vinyl Floor

Below Deck

Mercury 115HP Four Stroke

Rough Water Package

Sea Star Hydraulic Steering

Under Deck Wave Shield

Water Fuel Separator

Helm

G Series Reclining Helm Chair

Stereo

Kicker Speakers

Sony M6 Stero

Fishing

Console Seat Cushion Pack

Console Seat Livewell

G Series Bow Recliners

24v Trolling Motor Harness and Gate

Amenities

Bimini LED Lights

Stainless Docking Lights

Heavy Duty Rub Rail

Portable Cup holders

Privacy Enclosure

Ski Tow Bar

Wash Down

If I did any more upgrades:

keep the 115hp and get the performance package with added lifting strakes and delete the under deck wave shield

or

115hp OptiMax Pro XS with performance package with added lifting strakes and delete the under deck wave shield

or

150hp OptiMax Pro XS with performance package with added lifting strakes and delete the under deck wave shield

Is putting that extra $2000-$5000 extra in worth it. Am I going to get my money worth in performance.

Duck Hunter

If you don't go with the express performance pkg, are you going std 25" logs or 32" elips?

Todd

Thanks for every ones thoughts and opinions. I have the final build on my boat signed off.

22SFX

Black w/ Black Bimini w/ Java and black interior

Yamaha F150

Below Deck

Express Performance Package

Rough Water Package

Saltwater Anode Package

Sea Star Hydraulic Steering

Sealed Lifting Strakes (Inside of Outside Tubes)

Solid Keel

Graphics

Chrome Logos

Flooring

Full Vinyl Floor

Helm

G Series Reclining Helm Chair

Stereo

Kicker Speakers

Sony M6 Stereo

Fishing

Console Seat Cushion