More Power or Express Performance Package

We have the same colors except we went with monochrome instead of the black interior. We thought the black vinyl would get really hot in the sun. I don't really know if that's true or not yet (haven't had the boat long enough) but just something for you to consider.

Good choice on the 150. You won't regret it

awesome build. Get us some pics when she comes in.

Todd

Thanks for every ones thoughts and opinions. I have the final build on my boat signed off.

22SFX

Black w/ Black Bimini w/ Java and black interior

Yamaha F150

Below Deck

Express Performance Package

Rough Water Package

Saltwater Anode Package

Sea Star Hydraulic Steering

Sealed Lifting Strakes (Inside of Outside Tubes)

Solid Keel

Again Thanks for everyones thoughts and opions
Looks good!!

A couple of observations. Although there is some data on the Bennington site with some performance documentation it's not complete enough to guide a buying decision. YMMV of course. Much of the information available from this site is anecdotal from owner operators which is great as it is real world.

A convergence of forum members with a variety of configurations should assist future buyers making the right decision.

It would be nice if a moderator could assist in "sticking" the forthcoming data and observations as it is posted in a dedicated thread with some standard data format.

The dealer/sales person I worked with certainly provided no heads up on underbody configurations based on my use profile.

However he was very encouraging about HP and the power steering issues. If I knew know what I didn't know then.....I may have spec'd a different tube/strake configuration.

I look forward to posting our new rigs characteristics in a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of observations. Although there is some data on the Bennington site with some performance documentation it's not complete enough to guide a buying decision. YMMV of course. Much of the information available from this site is anecdotal from owner operators which is great as it is real world.

A convergence of forum members with a variety of configurations should assist future buyers making the right decision.

It would be nice if a moderator could assist in "sticking" the forthcoming data and observations as it is posted in a dedicated thread with some standard data format.

The dealer/sales person I worked with certainly provided no heads up on underbody configurations based on my use profile.

However he was very encouraging about HP and the power steering issues. If I knew know what I didn't know then.....I may have spec'd a different tube/strake configuration.

I look forward to posting our new rigs characteristics in a few weeks.
Smokey,

I believe what your asking for has already been done. the is a prop section where people have been posting their data...

Smokey,

I believe what your asking for has already been done. the is a prop section where people have been posting their data...
I just found that. I posted my rig, but the data is forthcoming.

BullDogsCaddy that is going to be a nice rig. Having the Express Performance package but not solid keel, what is the difference in handling or speed I wonder.

There are so many darn configurations.....

I think once I run mine a little and see how it performs, I am going to put a SS prop on.

Good to have a spare anyway.

We have the same colors except we went with monochrome instead of the black interior. We thought the black vinyl would get really hot in the sun. I don't really know if that's true or not yet (haven't had the boat long enough) but just something for you to consider.
Hello

I am am considering the purchase of a 24 SSL with the Express tube package and the 150 yamaha. Are you pulling a tube/wakeboard? If so, are you happy with the speed and turning ability?

Thanks

I just bought a 24 sfx

express pak strakes on all three tubs

150 fourstroke mercury

if you bought anything less then that you will be disapointed

with a 150 yoi will get 40 mph

with a115 you will get 33 to 34 mph

mine with a 150 mercury fourstorke i get 40 mph with 4 adults you will love the toon a lot more

look at the spec sheets on hear you will see the differnces

it come down to what you can aford if you don't get as much in side it would be worth it you can always add to the inside a lot cheaper.

thaks rob

I finally got enough hours on my new 24' SSLX today to allow me to top end it. With a 150 hp Yamaha, Express Tube package and a Yamaha Reliance 15 pitch prop, I'm getting 6000 rpms and 41 GPS mph. That was with the bimini top up. It was originally delivered with a Yamaha 14 pitch Performance Plus prop, and it was pulling 6200 rpms easily--but 4 mph slower. The 15 pitch prop also feels better. I should see a couple more mph with the bimini stowed away.

When you throw the throttle to it, the hull suddenly gets a big gust of wind under it--and speed picks up quickly. With lifting strakes only on the middle toon, it easily gets the nose out of the water--with about power trim about 50% up.

The 150 hp is comfortable in a fast cruise in the 3500-4000 rpm range--low to mid 20's, and the engine is running effortlessly. Now, it's back to finishing up the 10 hour engine break in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately we were looking at new toons last summer during the 90 degree heat. Sitting on the seats of a demo boat outside convinced us "no way" on the darker trim colors. They will singe your bottom side in a heatbeat. We also decided to pass on the darker carpet color, just too hot on the bare feet.

Hello

I am am considering the purchase of a 24 SSL with the Express tube package and the 150 yamaha. Are you pulling a tube/wakeboard? If so, are you happy with the speed and turning ability?

Thanks
See my rant on not getting the 150 here:

On page 2 of the same thread, you will see a post by RiverBill on the new XL package (I think it will replace the Express Package, but not sure). I would STRONGLY look into this, as I wish my center tube went all the way back. It would level the boat off a bit, provide more stability and lift, and not make the spray so violent off the back end of the boat (speculation on my part). It may help keep the water cleaner ahead of the prop too (again, speculation).

See my rant on not getting the 150 here: http://club.benningt...g-a-new-22-slx/

On page 2 of the same thread, you will see a post by RiverBill on the new XL package (I think it will replace the Express Package, but not sure). I would STRONGLY look into this, as I wish my center tube went all the way back. It would level the boat off a bit, provide more stability and lift, and not make the spray so violent off the back end of the boat (speculation on my part). It may help keep the water cleaner ahead of the prop too (again, speculation).
Note that I don't think you will get as much speed since the outer tubes have a turning foil instead of a lifting strake, and I don't know, but don't think you can put strakes on the outside. It sounds like it will bank in a turn though! Depends what you want: Max speed, or sacrifice some max speed for better handling.

Good luck!

I drove a 24SLX Express Tube with a new Merc 150 today. The boat ran 38.6 mph with 3 adults on board and 1/8th tank of gas.

I drove a 24SLX Express Tube with a new Merc 150 today. The boat ran 38.6 mph with 3 adults on board and 1/8th tank of gas.
What did it have for strakes?

So, for sake of discussion, let's say a 24 SSL goes 35 mph with a 115 hp, and 40 mph with a 150 hp, for a difference of 5 mph at the top end (full throttle, light load).

What would the difference be when the boat is fully loaded (12 people) and pulling a tube and the 115 hp only goes 20 mph at full throttle? Would the 150 go 25 mph at full throttle in that same case (with full load) and have the same 5 mph delta? Or would the 150 pull away faster than that at that mid-point speed? Maybe the 150 would only go 22.5 mph (splitting the 5 mph difference in half due to it going half speed)? I don't think that last thought would be the actual case, but I don't know.

Just wondering if the difference is linear across the speed range. On a car the torque curve is not at all linear across the full rpm range, so I assume it is not on an outboard either. But I wouldn't know how to compare them against each other, if you know what I mean. I'm hoping the delta between the 115 and 150 with a fully loaded boat at the mid-range speed (still full throttle though) is MORE than 5 mph. Although 5 mph would be a big difference in that mid-range speed scenario...

Question is, I don't care as much about top speed being 40 mph vs 35 mph as I do with whether the 150 will have a significant difference at full throttle under heavy load (12 people pulling a tube) than the 115 does. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. This is the real question I think a lot of us are trying to get at as we decide between the 115 vs 150. Unfortunately, the top speed is FAR easier to measure and compare, but it's not answering the "real world" question about how much better it performs under full/max load. I'd like to know the difference under HEAVY load and full throttle.

Anyone care to speculate? Ccando and Eric? What do you guys think? Anyone else have comments?

The answer here is where the decision lies for me.

I think a lot that depends on the way it is propped. I traded my 2250gcw with twin elipticals no strakes with a 115 Yamaha for a 2275rli with ESP and a 150 Yamaha. There is a huge difference in the power. While the ESP helps after getting on plane, you can really feel the difference at the hole shot. When I traded for the boat with the 150, it had a 4 blade 15.25x15 prop. The boat would run 39 at 5600 rpms with two adults and full fuel (36 gallons). But when we loaded all the family on, it loaded down to 5100 rpm's and 30 mph. I changed props to a 4 blade 15x13 which gave me 37mph at 6200 rpm's with only two on board, a loss of 2 mph. The big difference is when loaded. I can now have all the family on board and run 33 to 34 at 5600 rpms. It also increased the turning ability of the boat tremendously. We can now pull two adults skiing on one ski and still have a full load on the boat. The skiers have no problem getting up. In fact, we had three adults on board and pulled up four skiers, 2 were slalom and 2 were on two skis. Top speed is nice to have, but in my case I need the power for the way we boat 90% of the time. I was willing to give up a few mph for the load carrying, skiing and tubing ability. By the way, no one has been able to stay on the tube if so choose. Huge difference in the ESP and 150.

So, for sake of discussion, let's say a 24 SSL goes 35 mph with a 115 hp, and 40 mph with a 150 hp, for a difference of 5 mph at the top end (full throttle, light load).

What would the difference be when the boat is fully loaded (12 people) and pulling a tube and the 115 hp only goes 20 mph at full throttle? Would the 150 go 25 mph at full throttle in that same case (with full load) and have the same 5 mph delta? Or would the 150 pull away faster than that at that mid-point speed? Maybe the 150 would only go 22.5 mph (splitting the 5 mph difference in half due to it going half speed)? I don't think that last thought would be the actual case, but I don't know.

Just wondering if the difference is linear across the speed range. On a car the torque curve is not at all linear across the full rpm range, so I assume it is not on an outboard either. But I wouldn't know how to compare them against each other, if you know what I mean. I'm hoping the delta between the 115 and 150 with a fully loaded boat at the mid-range speed (still full throttle though) is MORE than 5 mph. Although 5 mph would be a big difference in that mid-range speed scenario...

Question is, I don't care as much about top speed being 40 mph vs 35 mph as I do with whether the 150 will have a significant difference at full throttle under heavy load (12 people pulling a tube) than the 115 does. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. This is the real question I think a lot of us are trying to get at as we decide between the 115 vs 150. Unfortunately, the top speed is FAR easier to measure and compare, but it's not answering the "real world" question about how much better it performs under full/max load. I'd like to know the difference under HEAVY load and full throttle.

Anyone care to speculate? Ccando and Eric? What do you guys think? Anyone else have comments?

The answer here is where the decision lies for me.
I am a professional aviator by trade. In my world, we have a equation referred to lift over drag/max. What it refers to is when the airplane slows to a certain speed and achieves a high enough angle of attack that it is creating the maximum amount of lift over the drag coefficient. It is not stall speed. What it is though is the point where the aircraft is producing the max amount of lift, for a given speed, but any slower, and it will take more thrust to overcome the drag induced on the wing. There is a fine balancing act between the two factors. In fluid dynamics, lift occurs much in the same way with the exception that we aren't working with an airfoil, but we are dealing with lift. I believe this is the crux of the matter with the debate of 115 vs 150 hp. yes, much more thrust which is a no brainer, but what we have with a 150 is the enhanced ability to get or keep the toons on top of the water. Once you get them there, it's easy to keep them there. The more weight in the nose, the more drag you are inducing on the toons. If you don't have the thrust to overcome the drag, the boat won't come out of the water, and acts like a pooch. For the 115 guys, try moving one adult at a time to the back of the boat, behind the helm seat one at a time at full throttle and see if you get a corresponding increase in speed. Don't have a tube or skiers attached. It will only complicate your experiment.

Ok. Here is my. 02 worth. I ran twin 150's on a 25 offshore cc fishing boat. Fishing partner had twin 135 on same size and weight of boat, just different manufacturer. 10mph top end different lightly loaded. Fully loaded with 100+ gallons of fuel, gear, guys, etc. Both us had fuel flow meters. The middle range fully loaded was amazing. My boat ran faster, less rpms per given speed and burned less fuel.

My 150 were larger displacement therefore more torque and power to his 135s but in overall hp, it was 30hp. His boat labored and turned 4500 rpm to do 28 to 30 mph and I was turning 4000rpm and running 32 to 35mph burning 4 gallons per hour less on each engine.

Lots of folks who run multiple engines perfect 2 strokes do to him torque flat curves and the engine weight that a 2 stroke offers. 4 strokes are heavier and ake a smaller torque curve.

Why am I telling you this.? Well, Ben and Eric and anyone on here who races or builds engines can agree that there is no replacement for displacement. 115 is a 1.5 liter block. 150 is a 2.5 liter block. You'll get better pulling power and speed no matter what rpm, load, etc as long as the boats are identical or close.

You won't regret the 150 and it will do everything you ask it to do

Todd

Hey Schmeg - I read your post several times, and I'm not 100% sure what you are getting at, but I can't help but wonder if maybe you are thinking I'm not up on plane with the fully loaded boat and pulling a tube at 20 mph with a 115?

We've had the boat pretty much fully loaded on two occasions, and while the tubing sucked at a miserable 20-23 mph, the boat definitely was up on plane at that point (I was at full throttle, but I don't think that is relevant). Point is I looked over the side of the boat several times to check, and we were definitely riding up on the strakes with the nose out of the water. Not as much as with a light load of course, but we were well past the "knee of the curve" that I think you are talking about. In other words, with the 115 and a full load, I was past the point where you feel the surge in speed right after coming up on plane.

Does that change anything?

Could it be that the 115 is barely getting us up on plane, and the 150 would bring it up on plane not only lower on the power curve, but have enough power left to go from say 20 mph with the 115 to maybe 28 mph at full load with a 150 (an 8 mph increase), even though at max speed with a light load the difference is only 5 mph faster? Does that make sense?

Has anyone with a 22 or 24 SSL or SSLX, express package with 6 strakes, AND the 150 hp had a fully loaded boat (10-12 people) and pulled a tube with a couple kids (150 lbs) on it? If so, how fast could you go?

Back