Motor upgrade

jsur

Reaction score
Has anybody upgraded their motor after a year of use? If so, how much extra did it cost vs having originally purchased the larger motor? Did you still receive the 25% discount off msrp?

Not sure what you are asking. I traded in a 115 after about a year and bought a new 150 and the incremental cost after all was done was a little under $5k if I remember right. My story about it is buried on this forum somewhere.

That's what I was asking. How much more was the 150 in the beginning? How much did they depreciate the 115 after one year? How many hours did you have? Did you get the new motor at 25% off msrp? How much did the dealer charge for labor for the swap?

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded in January from 115 to a 150. Look at your manufacturer date on the motor and look up NADA pricing for boat motors. It will give you an idea what yours is worth and how much the new will be. I believe Yamaha has rebates  you can trade for service which you can apply to the labor and or as I did I spent some on power steering upgrade. My motor was 3 years old and upgraded to power steering and cost 6k installed.

Good Luck :)

I also think 5k for the motor and then add the cost of Seastar which you will definitely want

I also think 5k for the motor and then add the cost of Seastar which you will definitely want
Link,

I already have the power steering although I am sure others that do not may be interested in this as well. I am looking to go from the 225 to the 250. I should have just done it from the beginning...just trying to get an idea how much additional it would cost this winter after one summer on the motor over what I know the cost would have been with the original order.

I just went to my dealer for another reason and He offered an upgrade .( 150 to 200 ) I really didn't get into cost .

I was not considering it at the time .

Got home told my wife she said ,go ahead . So I emailed the dealer waiting for the reply .

I just went to my dealer for another reason and He offered an upgrade .( 150 to 200 ) I really didn't get into cost .

Got home told my wife she said ,go ahead . So I emailed the dealer waiting for the reply .
The Verado 200 (4 cyl) or Verado 200 Pro (6 cyl)? I'd definitely go with the Pro if it makes any financial sense. More torque which is what your boat probably needs due to the weight.

Note that Verado rigging (digital throttle and shift) is very different from what you have now.

It also includes its own power steering unit, not a Seastar unit.

It would have to be the 4 .I already have the Seastar Hydraulic and the power assist .And I would bet he didn't think about the rigging .

Thanks 

Link,

I already have the power steering although I am sure others that do not may be interested in this as well. I am looking to go from the 225 to the 250. I should have just done it from the beginning...just trying to get an idea how much additional it would cost this winter after one summer on the motor over what I know the cost would have been with the original order.
I don't know that any performance improvement between a 225 and 250 would be cost effective. 

With modern day fuel injection, we often see two or three different engines in the same family with much of the horsepower difference being in the programming.  Might be cheaper to pay Simon Motorsports $600 to do an ECU reflash.  I think he can push a Verado 225 to 310 horsepower.

I don't know that any performance improvement between a 225 and 250 would be cost effective. 

With modern day fuel injection, we often see two or three different engines in the same family with much of the horsepower difference being in the programming.  Might be cheaper to pay Simon Motorsports $600 to do an ECU reflash.  I think he can push a Verado 225 to 310 horsepower.
I have the yamaha vmax sho. I wouldn't want to void the warranty, I think a reprogramming likely would.

Jsur,

What are you seeking to accomplish with a few more HP? Might able to improve your performance with a dialed in prop.

I have one prop I will be trying soon. My dealer said they do not have any test props and they only order what bennington suggests, thus I am probably stuck there. I know I will likely only gain a few mph with the extra hp, just kicking myself for not doing it initially.

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard. How many MPH do you get now? What boat do you have? I get 45 - 50 depending on load and conditions.

Well at least you didn't order another toon .... LOL !!!

Put yourself in the next buyers shoes.

How much cheaper would a 1 year old 115 with 30 hours have to be to make it worth buying over a brand new one?

I would think $2000 would be about right?

Jack,

Did you upgrade?
No ,its  a controls issue .Too much would have to be changed ,unless I want a 2 stroke .

I am going to look into further in the winter .

Dealer has some warranty work to do then anyway .

Back