New Bimini Canvas

WoodenPontoon

Reaction score
Hey All

I am wanting to get matching canvas for both of my biminis. My canvas guy estimated about $1000 labor for him to construct them. I'm too cheap to want to spend that much. Especially, when I consider the other canvas work I want to add in the future.

I have decided to take on the canvas work myself! I have been watching every instructional video I can find. I think I can ... I think I can ... I THINK I CAN

I have decided to make the biminis 2-colored; a 5' wide dark brown center panel with a reddish brown for the outboard edges. The Sunbrella that I ordered is "Walnut Tweed" and "Mahogany".

Does anyone have any words of wisdom related to working canvas?

Measure twice, cut once...... :blink:

Seriously, I think it can be done DIY, it will just be time consuming. For $1000, I'd try it myself too. If you install snaps, you need a heavy duty snap gun too, like this ....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoover-Press-N-Snap-Tool-/171058100841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d3db7a69    

Don't try to use a cheapy to install the snaps, you'll be sorry. Also make absolutely sure you get the proper thread  that is UV resistant.

Make sure to post up some pics of your process so we can all learn from it !!!!

You might ping or search Bamaman's post as I remember him posting about doing his own canvas for seat covers.

We just got a sewing machine so will be following this to get some tips. We got a singer 9970 so it has a lot of features to learn, and neither of us have ever sewn.

We just got a sewing machine so will be following this to get some tips. We got a singer 9970 so it has a lot of features to learn, and neither of us have ever sewn.
Andy, thanks for saying "we" ...... now I don't feel weird stating I'd like to get a decent sewing machine for trying some of these projects .... :)

I think I'm more excited about it than my wife! I saw a bennington on craigslist recently and it looked like there were panel covers then went from the playpen cover to the rub rail and it matched the canvas material. I think that would be nice for extended periods of non use. I might have to start a sewing projects thread! Looking forward to seeing the two tone Dan. That will look sharp.

but if you extend your canvas down to the rub rail, then you would cover up the part that vents to your carpet and maybe start mildewing. not sure if it would be vented enough. just my .02

Thanks for the comments guys!  I will post some pictures as I progress.

For those who have just purchased sewing machines, I recommend checking out sailrite.com.  They cater to the DIYs and have many videos about all aspects of sewing.  Many are free!

Dan - You made your whole boat out of little pieces of wood.  I'm sure you can figure out how to sew a bimini together.  The good news is if does happen to go poorly, there are lots of little old grannies out there that could finish it for you.  :p

My only real thought of any value is:

1) Find some scrap fabric of a similar weight to practice on.

2) Leave plenty of extra fabric as you sew the seams in case you need to do something over.  It's easy to pull the thread and start over.  Not so easy to put two pieces of cut fabric back together.

Two tone is a great idea!  Never seen one like that, but I think it will look fantastic on your boat.  Had to make it extra complicated for your first time, huh?

Thanks for the vote!  I hope I don't need to use too many grannies!

I actually did some practice last night.  I made a bag for a magma grill.  As you suggested, it took some ripping and re-sewing!  I'll learn.

I wasn't going to say this, but sewing is tough!  I do a lot of DIY stuff, matter of fact I just came in from changing out a burned out ignition coil pack on our van, but I never could get the hang of sewing.  People have told me I have a LOT of patience, but nothing pisses me like trying to sew something!  Maybe I'm just stupid, but sewing is hard to do, and it takes a lot of practice.  Good luck!  Can't wait to see the pics of that two-toned bimini.  It will look awesome on your boat.

Just be sure to use UV resistant thread or all your hard work will be for naught!  I tried some projects only to find this out the hard way.  Great recommendation SEMPER FI  !!

I am also told there is a thread that is made for exterior sewing projects that when it gets wet it gets slightly larger so that you don't have water leak through the stitch holes.

Derrick - I have read that there is a "non-wicking" thread that is supposed to seal the needle holes.  The stuff I have is not that kind, as I had ordered before reading about it. 

I am hoping to use a spray-on sealant to help keep moisture out.  The 303 products might have something.  Does anyone know if this is true?

The 303 product acts more like wax on a car. It will cause the water to bead up and roll off vs. wicking into the canvas, but I don't think they will seal the thread holes. It definitely will help get the water off quicker so it has less chance to wick through. It also helps keep dirt from "sticking" to the fabfic, making it much easier to clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
but if you extend your canvas down to the rub rail, then you would cover up the part that vents to your carpet and maybe start mildewing. not sure if it would be vented enough. just my .02
My winter mooring cover extends below the rub rail and so far no issues with any mildew.  May be dry and cold enough form November through March that it doesn't get started.  My winter cover is vented at the top with 4 vents that are the same type as those used on the factory playpen cover (in fact I use the same poles for both).  It is also made to cover the bimini when it is all the way down.  I have used it for 2 winters now and am very happy with it.

Jack

Finally under way on the bimini canvas.

Using "Dura-Skrim" plastic sheeting to pattern the bimini panels.  Sheeting is attached to frame with double-sided tape and then bow edges are marked onto sheet.

gallery_808_474_1815673.jpg

Fabric pieces for 1st panel ready for sewing.  My choice of colors  "Walnut & Mahogany"  ...... of course!!!!!

gallery_808_474_918594.jpg

My winter mooring cover extends below the rub rail and so far no issues with any mildew.  May be dry and cold enough form November through March that it doesn't get started.  My winter cover is vented at the top with 4 vents that are the same type as those used on the factory playpen cover (in fact I use the same poles for both).  It is also made to cover the bimini when it is all the way down.  I have used it for 2 winters now and am very happy with it.

Jack

Jack.....

As an added measure I put a couple canisters of Damp Dry on the floor of our boat (along w/mothballs) and one in our engine compartment to make sure mildew doesn't form.........

Nice job so far Dan! Is Denise helping?!? Supervising?

Should look nice when it's finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back