New Bimini Canvas

That talent I see and the projects you guys take on amazes me

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Dan! Looking forward to the finished product.

Nice job so far Dan! Is Denise helping?!? Supervising?
Daril, No, so far Denise has provided no assistance to my bimini project. 

Some recent progress on Bimini project

My latest tool purchase

Fwd Bimini is coming together

Trial Fitting of Fwd Bimini

Next big thing is to attach all of the zippers.  After that I'll build a matching aft bimini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really nice!

Lookin' good there Dan.

Very nice!

Awesome job. Would expect nothing less from you!!!!!

Quite a project! Will certainly add to the great boat.

Thanks for the good words everyone!

I have pulled my aft canvas off the frame.  I ordered the rest of the fabric needed and should be cutting and sewing it soon.

I can't wait to pull the boat from the tent to get a look at the new biminis,  hopefully by the 3rd week in May.

Way to go Wooden Pontoon

Very nice job!! Looking for a Pa. Project ?? :)

Any more pics Dan??????

No Daril, I don't have any additional pictures,  I need a part for my sewing machine which is on order.  I somehow broke the original one.  The part should be in this week (hopefully).   I have removed the aft bimini, made the plastic patterns and will be cutting fabric soon, possibly starting this evening.

We just got a sewing machine so will be following this to get some tips. We got a singer 9970 so it has a lot of features to learn, and neither of us have ever sewn.How do you like your machine? We are looking for one that is not too complicated but can sew heavy canvas.

We just got a sewing machine so will be following this to get some tips. We got a singer 9970 so it has a lot of features to learn, and neither of us have ever sewn.How do you like your machine? We are looking for one that is not too complicated but can sew heavy canvas.
Bamaman did the same thing and made his own seat covers. You might PM him and ask for some tips. 

1Tiredlady, on 04 May 2014 - 7:24 PM, said:

We just got a sewing machine so will be following this to get some tips. We got a singer 9970 so it has a lot of features to learn, and neither of us have ever sewn.
How do you like your machine? We are looking for one that is not too complicated but can sew heavy canvas.
I like my machine very much.  It was doing very well until I broke the one piece on it.

When you look for a canvas sewing machine, make sure it can do long stitches.  5 mm (5/inch) stitches are the minimum recommended for canvas work.  If they are smaller than that, the canvas will be weakened and may rip apart during use, much like a perforated cardboard box.  I would also look for a machine with a "walking foot".  This feature will grip the fabric from top to bottom before advancing the fabric.  Most machines just grip the fabric from the bottom with the feed dogs.

I would highly recommend visiting the Sailrite.com web site.  They have many, many videos about all aspects of sewing machines and sewing.  Many of the videos are free downloads.  ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT RESOUCE!

Our singer has the walking foot but I'd have to check on the thread spacing. Good to know.

Wooden Pontoon,

Thanks for the sewing machine information!

Back