New Boat decision

Oh, is this what you are referring to?  

boaterslogvol3_no20imgxl3.jpg

The pic of the Yamaha transom saver is over the top of the ram supports. On a 300 I think they suggest using 2 savers one on each ram. On my 250 I only used one. It really does not save your transom as the name suggests, it is more of a power steering saver. Some people swear by them others think they don't serve any purpose on a pontoon. I liked it as the shock of the road was absorbed into the rubber and not my power steering shafts.

Transom savers were/are designed to save the transoms on bass boats or runabouts.

The pic of the Yamaha transom saver is over the top of the ram supports. On a 300 I think they suggest using 2 savers one on each ram. On my 250 I only used one. It really does not save your transom as the name suggests, it is more of a power steering saver. Some people swear by them others think they don't serve any purpose on a pontoon. I liked it as the shock of the road was absorbed into the rubber and not my power steering shafts.

Transom savers were/are designed to save the transoms on bass boats or runabouts.

Exactly.  I think the F350 is the only motor that uses two.  Probably because of the extra weight.  The F300 V-6 only needs one.  I used them on my SW boat too with twin 150's and they seem to really absorb the bounce of the motor.  I'm one of those that swears by them.

They save your hydraulics from wear and tear is what the dealer told me.

I'll have to look in my owners manual again as I think it mentions towing and storing in a "down" position. given the trailer height dragging the skeg is almost impossible unless you are trailering in Qatar.

I ran down and bought two, the packaging says that the F300 and F350 require two, although the ram itself has a silkscreen on it that states only V8's require two, I went the safer route.  It just makes me nervous backing it down any inclines that the skeg could touch something.  I went to two places, one was a marine supply and they didn't think much of them (also didn't stock them) the other was a big Yamaha dealer and they say that they outfit every boat they sell with them.  It doesn't appear to harm anything, so I'll stick them on.  

Yeah you're certainly not going to hurt anything by using them.  I've never had a problem so to be honest I can't tell how much they actually work.  But, the logic makes sense so that's why I use them.  I only use them for towing though.  In storage, my motor is always trimmed all the way down to allow water drainage.

Thanks for the education, I'm sure it won't be the last time.......

Make sure you do not have a grease zert in the way. I thought the same thing about using two, come to find out on one side there is a grease zert that is in the way and could get sheared off. (Mine was a 250SHO)

Make sure you do not have a grease zert in the way. I thought the same thing about using two, come to find out on one side there is a grease zert that is in the way and could get sheared off. (Mine was a 250SHO)

Thanks, will do.

Probably not an issue with fresh water use.

Back