New Boat decision

We got it!!!  I bought a 2 year extended warranty on the Yamaha for $3k, hopefully we'll never need it, but it helps me sleep better knowing it's covered.  Otherwise, pending anything we find on the test drive, we take ownership on the 26th. Now to sell the boat lift, I believe the Q tips the scales around 4600#, which is a bit too much for my 4000# lift.
$3000.00 for a 2 year warranty sure sounds steep. I guess I'm just cheap since I've never bought a warranty. Congrats on the "Q".

Last edited by a moderator:
You can move your pin .Mine is right in my slip ,although empty . Satellite  pic is roughly 2 years old . :D

That Q is a beauty, what a great find.  If you have trouble moving your pin let me know

I thought 3K for 2 years was kind of high also .Because its used ?

When I got ours ( Mercury ) 7 year platinum was less than $550.00 

I thought 3K for 2 years was kind of high also .Because its used ?

When I got ours ( Mercury ) 7 year platinum was less than $550.00 
No doubt it's not cheap, but I was afraid if something goes wrong with that 300hp, I imagine it would be salty.  I know that being used didn't help.  They said that Mercury won't transfer warranties if the used boat is sold thru a dealer only on person to person trades, this is a tactic to get you to buy the extended warranty.  I was first quoted $6k, and he had a hard time finding that, whatever companies they use, top out at 200hp.  I believe this warranty is thru Yamaha, and they offered it because the original warranty is good until 4/1/16, so we were still under warranty and extending it.  After 4/1 it goes up to $6k!!

When we got our G, the Merc 115 was warrantied for 3 years and I got an additional 2 years for free, which was nice, but nothing ever went wrong with that motor either.

You can move your pin .Mine is right in my slip ,although empty . Satellite  pic is roughly 2 years old . :D
Ah Ha!!  Out of the middle of the lake and onto our pier.  Thanks.

I also had a 7 year platinum on my 2013  ,I traded it in and the dealer sold it. When traded, I signed the paperwork for the warranty to be transferred to the new owner .New owner is about 30-35 miles from me on Black Lake .

Maybe some kind of side deal on the motor ? 

Dont know .

All that said ,I would have also purchased the extended warranty 

That is a sharp boat that will be giving you hours of enjoyment out on the water.....with a 300 on it watersports should be virtually effortless.

Maybe the warranty costs more for the 300 but we looked into the extended warranty through yamaha for our 150 and it was roughly 1400-1500 for 3 more years.....as long as the extended warranty was purchased before the factory 3 year warranty had expired.  We have been thinking about getting the extended warranty this summer as it the last year of our factory 3 years.  I probably wouldn't be as concerned warranty wise but we tend to put quite a few hours on our boat in a year (even being in Ohio).  After 2 boating seasons we are a shade over 250 hours.....and we are only weekenders at the lake.  I guess it's knowing that the boat is covered for 7 years bow to stern you kind of want almost the same coverage on the motor as it's also a big expense should you have to get it serviced or even worse replaced.

Wow, 3k is outrages.  Nice boat, you will have a blast.

Sea trial is next Saturday in Grand Haven....forecast is high of 46 and I'm sure it's not going to be that temp at our scheduled 10am time slot.  Gonna be fun....PURE MICHIGAN!

Well, it's ours now.  Looking forward to many years of fun to come.  /monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6119.JPG.4da30f1c343f61026824fe71546153a9.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6120.JPG.b964665695e2109c0307ed913323ba4c.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6123.JPG.0e70e4494b46421efd6d3c1dd2a190f7.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6111.JPG.ec0a5a856b6fc0930c92b86c1bd827f6.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6109.JPG.aefc5440b83a744f2511c3849364e976.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6101.JPG.148a132314a6e444c0699ebe1bbcb1c1.JPG/monthly_2016_03/large.IMG_6114.JPG.e0fac647b677aa93622621b457ef5756.JPG

Your boat sure looks like this one I spotted last fall! Where did you buy it from?

1226EF2F-C272-472A-8AC8-66D590320CF0_zpsknlgqisu.jpg

Congrats and enjoy.

Your boat sure looks like this one I spotted last fall! Where did you buy it from?

1226EF2F-C272-472A-8AC8-66D590320CF0_zpsknlgqisu.jpg

That sure looks like it.  We got it at SkipperBud's in Grand Haven.  I can't pull up the photobucket image on my computer, only on my phone, and it's a bit grainy.  I can't make out the plate or if that's a SkipperBud's truck, but it looks like it is.  Judging by the paint wear on the motor skag, I'd say that's the same boat (I've bought touch up Yamaha paint, gotta make it look good for the fishes).  I hope you don't have a picture of it because of some dark, haunted past???!!!!  I believe they took it in on trade late last year.   They say it's been babied and by all accounts we believe it has been from what we can tell so far.

Sweet looking ride!

That sure looks like it.  We got it at SkipperBud's in Grand Haven.  I can't pull up the photobucket image on my computer, only on my phone, and it's a bit grainy.  I can't make out the plate or if that's a SkipperBud's truck, but it looks like it is.  Judging by the paint wear on the motor skag, I'd say that's the same boat (I've bought touch up Yamaha paint, gotta make it look good for the fishes).  I hope you don't have a picture of it because of some dark, haunted past???!!!!  I believe they took it in on trade late last year.   They say it's been babied and by all accounts we believe it has been from what we can tell so far.

It was skipperbuds! I happened to be driving home after a plant visit and took the photo October sometime. They also have a location in Fenton which is just north of where I took this photo and must have been where it came in on a trade.. I'd check all the snaps and make sure they are ok. Dealers should know better than to tow with the playpen cover on. If they say they don't....well you now have proof!!!

It was skipperbuds! I happened to be driving home after a plant visit and took the photo October sometime. They also have a location in Fenton which is just north of where I took this photo and must have been where it came in on a trade.. I'd check all the snaps and make sure they are ok. Dealers should know better than to tow with the playpen cover on. If they say they don't....well you now have proof!!!

Small world!  Good point, they should've known better.  We made sure to tow it home with the cover off and with the motor trimmed up.  All of the snaps are good, one of the quick clips is broken, it's the last one on starboard rear, which shouldn't have had that much of force stressed on it as the front ones did, I'm assuming it broke during a hasty uncovering along the way.  

The quick clip cover is new for us, our previous boat had full snaps.  This appears to be nice, although we haven't field tested it in the water during storm winds yet.

Beautiful boat, congrats!  One concern though is how far up the motor is trimmed on the one pic.  Just parked no big deal but I wouldn't suggest towing it like that if you did.  For short distances resting on the ram is fine.  I use the Yamaha ram supports when I tow mine.  Just my .02.

Congrats on a BEAUTIFUL boat !!!   :wub:

Beautiful boat, congrats!  One concern though is how far up the motor is trimmed on the one pic.  Just parked no big deal but I wouldn't suggest towing it like that if you did.  For short distances resting on the ram is fine.  I use the Yamaha ram supports when I tow mine.  Just my .02.

Yamaha ram supports????  Would those be the two polished rods that appear to be doing nothing when the motor is fully trimmed up??  Please educate.

ram supports.JPG

Back