New Boat Does Not Sit Level

Baffled!!! Why, there are exactly 0 boats that I know of on any lake I have been on that sit level in the water. A boat is not a car.

I keep thinking this post was some kind of joke but pictures are proof, I guess. I'm beyond words why anyone would disregard all of the advise from those with decades of experience and do something like this thus why ask the question in the first place?

Don't be mean! He might tell all of us to pound sand when we don't have any!! :D

I have added 400 pounds of sand to the front and got the bow lowered some. I think it looks better, any thoughts?View attachment 23019
Not something that I would have done but hey, we're all different! That said, I think you definitely achieved your goal of leveling it out a bit more. Happy boating!

Craziest thing I have ever seen done to a boat. It is your boat and I am glad it worked out for you.

Man that is a really bad idea and like was already said , against all of the good advice given to you!

I can't wait for the next post. My dollar is on it being about a trip out on the water with passengers and taking a wave over the bow and if you're lucky you won't get anyone hurt or screw up your boat. My second guess is you'll be complaining that it won't get up on plane and your ride quality sucks and you can't figure out why.

This comment may or may not be called for but since you won't take anyone's advice on the boat , my advice is sell it and get yourself a nice level riding golf cart...

I only play a physics professor on the internet but I'm sure there is a multiplication factor of several times that weight after it's lifted and dropped by say a 2 to 4 foot wave (common on my lake).

I’m betting you aren’t into old gassers ......

6C9B5818-2D8D-4EAC-913E-A223E9BB41D1.jpeg

So are they Sand bags or is it like the kids can play on the Beach while out on the Bennington? Might have a new Flooring option, Seagrass with a pile of Sand.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the others here, putting extra weight where it wasn't designed to be could turn out to be a very bad idea. My boat sits very tail-heavy with that big ol' 350 hanging off the back (see sig pic). When moving at speed, about half of my boat isn't even touching the water. I frequently look down to see where it's riding at trim and it's pretty close to where I'm sitting. I couldn't imagine having the front of the tubes plowing and I'd be pretty paranoid of submarining the boat.

And...……………………….only having a 115 you'll be hard pressed to over power that load of sand with the added weight of people on board.

If it turns out to be a mistake I'll man up and admit it. About 90% of the time it is just my wife and I on the boat. That is why we went with the two captains chairs. There is another couple that ride with us and they sit on the bench behind us and not out front. Most of our riding is touring speed and never really get over 4K RPM and so far no problem with killing the motor and any wash coming over the bow. When we tie the tube to the back and pull some kids it might change. Thanks for all the comments!P1170275.JPG

Its quite common up here in Canada actually. We keep sandbags in our boats in fall. You never know when you could get a winter storm and still have your summer prop on and just be spinning on the ice. So you throw some sand out to give it a little grip to get going. You Southerners don't understand the struggle! Hehe

In all seriousness, it's your boat and you can do what ever makes you happy. If having the boat sit level while empty is an issue for you, then congrats, you've figured out a solution, and it's a great looking boat! The other members are just clearly concerned about the safety aspects of rough waters, which is why they speak so strongly. No, an extra 400lbs isn't going to sink the boat by any means, but the wave over the bow, dented panels and performance hit are all very real. But once again, you can obviously do whatever you like! Thanks for joining the forum and hope to hear / see many posts of great times out on your boat!!

Well said Bulldog

So ibecleve you started it many of us put in our two cents, everyone on this Forum seems to be concerned about the other Member, sometimes we get off track and have a little fun with each other but in the end we are all here for a reason. I've never seen so many LIKES (104) as I did for your Post. Like Bulldogs said "It's your boat and you can do what ever makes you happy" THE END

Last edited:
So I am curious as to where you put this 400# of sand, and how it's contained? Since you have already won the prize for "worst boating idea of all times", you might as well set the bar really high! Hopefully you left the sand in the paper bags it comes in from Home Depot, so that the bags will get wet then you can have 400# of loose sand in the boat. Or better yet, you bought that "special sand" called Redi Mix... /sarcasm

Its quite common up here in Canada actually. We keep sandbags in our boats in fall. You never know when you could get a winter storm and still have your summer prop on and just be spinning on the ice. So you throw some sand out to give it a little grip to get going. You Southerners don't understand the struggle! Hehe

In all seriousness, it's your boat and you can do what ever makes you happy. If having the boat sit level while empty is an issue for you, then congrats, you've figured out a solution, and it's a great looking boat! The other members are just clearly concerned about the safety aspects of rough waters, which is why they speak so strongly. No, an extra 400lbs isn't going to sink the boat by any means, but the wave over the bow, dented panels and performance hit are all very real. But once again, you can obviously do whatever you like! Thanks for joining the forum and hope to hear / see many posts of great times out on your boat!!
Damn now I have to get a winter prop!

So I am curious as to where you put this 400# of sand, and how it's contained? Since you have already won the prize for "worst boating idea of all times", you might as well set the bar really high! Hopefully you left the sand in the paper bags it comes in from Home Depot, so that the bags will get wet then you can have 400# of loose sand in the boat. Or better yet, you bought that "special sand" called Redi Mix... /sarcasm
The sand is still in the plastic bags it came in plus 3 mil thick trash bags so they don't leak sand out anywhere. They were staged in the storage compartment up front under the seats. If I change my mind they will be easy to remove and no loose sand to vacuum up in the storage comparts. Not sure about worst idea of all times since there have been no performance problems and being level with the dock and while under power gives it a better look. No regrets!

Back