New Owner here...thanks...Will be the only owner around that I know of?

Newport RI

Reaction score
Hope all is well. Sorry in advance if a bit long winded... note on what we bought and how we got here....Took my wife and I some time to configure+choose options but we placed our final order and the new boat will be delivered in May.... already at dealer. We went with a QCW 2575 and powered with a Outboard Yami f300...(will this boat break 47mph?) Sport Tower, most options, teak, etc... I am located in the northeast...(Newport RI). Went with Smokey Granite and the new off white/grey color interior. No graphics, black Bimini cover etc...sport tower straight up finish (NOT painted).

It is our first boat, and just completed a 2 month long (40hrs) boating course put on by coast guard auxil. I have been on the water/ocean a long time but always with PWCs and have a Seadoo RXT (with Riva stage one of course, runs 69.xmph+ on gps:)) but wanted to know a lot more about boating; 1st for the safety of my family and guest(s) I have out + others on the water but also to respect the activity, be able to help others if needed.. etc...

I am sure many in my area will not know what my Bennington even is around here especially at my Marina... and may even raise some eyebrows as such a boat in this region/location is not the norm......(we will see how it is recieved) Surrounded by Hinckleys http://www.hinckleyyachts.com, Truenorths http://www.tnyachts.com/, MJM http://www.mjmyachts.com/, Vikings and others... We are excited to get into boating and looking forward to making memories with our son, family, friends etc.... We wanted a boat that was safe, had room for guests, sporty, could do some water sports, had some speed, comfortable and could do a lot of entertaining on and drop a fishing line with my son as well....

We never thought a toon was possible in this area so never gave it an ounce of consideration but always joked how fun would it be to have one with the idea just not possible based on our location/conditions/etc... We attended the boat show as we do every year and although owned a boat slip we bought a few years back we didn't have a boat...... We were considering some very different boats then this thats for sure, some of the makers mentioned above and what one would typically see in this area/Newport RI. When I stepped onto the boat at the show I was impressed.... I am a car guy...and loved the Bentley inspired diamond stitch pattern on the seats... amongst other things...but still wasn't sure what I was stepping onto as I was never on a toon before and had not a clue whom bennington even was... I chuckeld and asked the dealer at the show if the boat could break 25mph in some chop out in the bay... he chuckled back and said... "get on and lets see".... (believe it was a r25 with a yami F250) Well he brought me out and I was blown away......We left the show with a deposit down and a plan to research the hell out of this boat to make sure this was a legit boat that could work in this area........ Anyway what I learned over the next few months made me feel I picked the right boat (although not the norm) for what we want, our needs, the maker in this case bennington with its good reputation etc... Hope it can handle the area conditions and plan to watch weather etc.... By no means plan to go on epic distant rides out to sea, we are not big fishing people (althought want to drop a line with my son no doubt!) but even close by the weather/conditions can change fast. (those in this area sure know what I am referring to)

I will post up pics once I take delivery... Hope I didn't miss out on any options I regret not getting (although didnt leave many out, more comfort things like passed on fridge etc) or seating config changes.... I look forward to being part of the club and sharing our experiences with other owners here.... wish me luck as the owner of this beast in Newport!!!!

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow,Thats a great story!! Happy your on board! You will love the boat, I dont see how anyone couldn't love that boat!! Congrats, and welcome to the forum!

Now that is going to be a true Bennington love story. I'm curious to see how it handles the rough water too as I am on a smaller inland lake in Michigan. However, I do hope to trailer to Lake Michigan one of these "not so rough" days. Congrats and toast to lots of memories to come for all!

Welcome aboard Newport. Love your city, been there quite a few times

Welcome to the party Steve. The most important thing you did was take the boating course, I think everyone should do that. Now, let the fun begin! You're gonna love it.

Welcome to the Family !!!! Congrats on buying a sweet sounding Benny !!!

I love a good story and that hit the spot. Congrats and welcome!

Welcome to the Pinnacle of Tritoon Boats. And your boat is at the top of the heap. Congratulations.

I don't know how fast your boat will run, as we seldom see any 300's mounted on the big Q's. Most are 250's on the larger hulls. We'd be interested in your performance numbers once you get the motor broken in.

Welcome Newport................

You shouldn't have any trouble with your "Q" in Narraganset Bay or Mt. Hope Bay or when you go under the Pell bridge except on the windiest of days..........I graduated from Roger Williams college in Bristol (It wasn't a University back then. Ha!) so I know the area well. My wife was born in Woonsocket. My father in law still owns a home on Pascoag lake in the northwestern part of the state and he still barefoots behind his Mastercraft. Newport is a beautiful, beautiful area to boat in mostly for sailboats but your Q will definitely turn some heads when you go roaring by !!!!!!!!

Hope you really enjoy your new boat when you get it and.......................Have some Quohogs and some Steamers for us...............

Welcome and enjoy your new boat! My QCW 2575 hits 42 mph with my f250 so I think 47 with your f300 is a real possibility.

Jack

That is a beautiful rig!..even though you have experience, it is smart of you to take the course. I am a licensed Coast Guard captain here in south Florida and have been around boats all my life. The first thing you learn is be safe. It's hard to explain to some folks from the inland waters in the mid-west that the big water can be mighty unforgiving. I'm sure they would say that's true for all water and they would be right.

It's a great pass time and a wonderful way to enjoy the people around you. You will find this site to be very helpful with lots of super-nice people and administrators.

Have a great time and remember as others have said; after the first scratch its all downhill and then you can enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the warm Welcome all! We are very excited as a family for this set up!

Few questions...

I am looking at some rod holders and trying to decide best spot for a few (2).... not sure the Q series has the room to mount on the top rail as panels run to to the top... was thinking like a sport fishing boat possible rear (or side?) of the sport tower? Also has anyone see the sport tower used for more then traditional uses.... meaning are there any attachments one can add like wake board holder, paddle board holder or other.?... ... I want to try pulling a tube(s) once I get comfortable with boat and of course in a safe area but was curious if there maybe a better option then a tube where adults and kids can have some fun but more stable and secure maybe? I realize most of this is due to driver keeping at safe speed, easy on the whips etc.. but curious if anyone has any fund tow behind set ups? Last one I promise.... didn't get the grill option but thinking may want to call and add to order before I take delivery... thoughts?

Thanks again...

For towables, go to Overton's web site to look at your options. IMHO bigger is not better in tows. You get to the point that all you are doing is dragging people in the water and then where do you put the thing on the boat the rest of the day. There has to be tons of attachments for towers with the amount of towers out there. Never have looked but that what Google is great at

I am still trying to figure out how to make my tower dream a reality, but I was also looking at the SUP (stand up paddleboard) and how I would mount it. I believe this Thule COULD work, if the straps used to mount to the vehicle's crossmembers, we're long enough to go around the tower tubing. I think they aren't long enough, so some sort of alteration would need to take place. I think it would look awesome to have a couple SUP's riding on top of the tower!! Here is a link to the car mount.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Watersports/WatersportCarriers/810-SUP-Taxi-Paddleboard-Carrier

Derrick,

Why don't you just get a houseboat and be done with it ..... :)

image.jpg

I don't think I could afford one as nice as yours. That is yours in the picture right?

As far as wakeboards there a hundreds of choices when it comes to racks. Most wakeboard racks have interchangeable mounts. So any rack can fit on pretty much any size tower. From 1- to 3 inch round tower leg size's just be sure to order the racks with the correct tower leg size my guess it's inch 7/8 or 2 inch tower tubing.

As far as SUP's I would look for a mount system that would allow you to mount the SUP down the side of your boat. Something that clamped onto the rub rail section and holds the board length wise. This type of rack would be Perfect for holding the foam floaty Matt's. this might even be a item some one would like to invent/market.

I am still trying to figure out how to make my tower dream a reality, but I was also looking at the SUP (stand up paddleboard) and how I would mount it. I believe this Thule COULD work, if the straps used to mount to the vehicle's crossmembers, we're long enough to go around the tower tubing. I think they aren't long enough, so some sort of alteration would need to take place. I think it would look awesome to have a couple SUP's riding on top of the tower!! Here is a link to the car mount.

http://www.thule.com...leboard-Carrier
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.......

Hey Derrick.........

My wife and I have been looking at the SUPs since we got back from Hawaii. It's not as cool as installing it on a tower but I remember the way "Oregonizm" has it installed on the side.......check it out..........

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/669-the-bennie-at-paulina/

Wow, good memory Daril! Now that you showed me I remember seeing it before, totally forgot about that pic! Thanks

Back