New Q series competitor from Cobalt?!

crvtt

Reaction score
Came across this today on my Facebook page.  Looks pretty nice but sure looks expensive.  

Very impressive debut.

It looks typical Cobalt from the deck up, which is a very good thing. I wonder how the running surface really compares to Bennington ESP and Manitou SHP, which are both very refined by now.

I like the underwater platform for boarding instead of a ladder

Myself ,I don't think is anywhere close to a Bennington Q .Bennington has nothing to worry about .

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer any Bennington , before I would buy that .No comparison to Bennington 

yea, that doesn't seem to compare in any aspect...  That looks like something designed in 1987 to look futuristic if that makes sense...

Cobalt makes a superior boat, however they're beyond expensive.  My buddy has a 27' open bow with a 502 Chevy and Duoprop, and he gets about 2 mpg.  And it cost something like $140K new.

My impression is that Cobalt management really doesn't know much about pontoon boats.  The extensive fiberglass superstructure is very, very heavy and so would be the seating.  That boat would take 300 horsepower just to get it to perform like a normal tritoon--40 mph.

Cobalt's will be here 10 years from now.  Don't expect their pontoon model to make it past the first year with the price they've got to have for it.

I agree it's not my cup of Tea, But what I do like is the Idea of a Pontoon Maker only having to make 1-2 diffrent high end models. I could see a competitor gaining a advantage of Just focusing on High End models. Catering to Benningtons Q crowd.

A mistake I see many company's making is offering styling and Look a like options for the lower end versions. Example Benz has AMG body kits for cars that are not AMG. Lexus does the same thing for their F line. I hope Bennington keeps there Q series unique and dosent offer the R and lower series the same options

I agree it's not my cup of Tea, But what I do like is the Idea of a Pontoon Maker only having to make 1-2 diffrent high end models. I could see a competitor gaining a advantage of Just focusing on High End models. Catering to Benningtons Q crowd.

A mistake I see many company's making is offering styling and Look a like options for the lower end versions. Example Benz has AMG body kits for cars that are not AMG. Lexus does the same thing for their F line. I hope Bennington keeps there Q series unique and dosent offer the R and lower series the same options
I agree, much like the M Sport packages on BMW's. I've had both M Sport and purebred M cars, and the M is far superior. Though it's a matter of taste, the Benny-Stancraft partnership is a good example of properly differentiating the Q, with nothing in the line quite like it.

Was I the only one thinking how bad the toons look on that thing? Especially considering it's a promo video for such a 'fancy' boat? I mean, for that money, I'd expect a mirror polish. But at the very least, maybe just the factory finish? All that aside, that thing is hideous, in my opinion. I'm betting a couple years and they drop out of the pontoon market and stick with what they know. Funny part is, my dealer posted this video on FB too, but they swear they will never sell anything nicer than an S series Bennington again. My new boat is the only G or nicer ever sold in Utah. Yet they are beating the drum to sell this. Haha!

Screen+Shot+2014-07-24+at+12.16.56+AM.png

Seats look like blow up rafts ..... I'll pass .......  ;)

Was I the only one thinking how bad the toons look on that thing? Especially considering it's a promo video for such a 'fancy' boat? I mean, for that money, I'd expect a mirror polish. But at the very least, maybe just the factory finish? All that aside, that thing is hideous, in my opinion. I'm betting a couple years and they drop out of the pontoon market and stick with what they know. Funny part is, my dealer posted this video on FB too, but they swear they will never sell anything nicer than an S series Bennington again. My new boat is the only G or nicer ever sold in Utah. Yet they are beating the drum to sell this. Haha!
I noticed the same thing, those toons looked terrible. One might assume this was the only one of these boats in existence, so they just had to go with it.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-24+at+12.16.56+AM.png
I noticed the same thing, those toons looked terrible. One might assume this was the only one of these boats in existence, so they just had to go with it.
I noticed this too. SO... out of curiosity i did a search to look at the boat. So far I've only been able to find the logo on the webpage of the marina that posted the video and an application for a Trademark Patent that was submitted Feb of this year by Cobalt. I'd say someone may have jumped the gun in leaking this information. But, as I was not that interested my search stopped after 5 minutes. I had a Benny to go enjoy!

It looks like they took a used set of toons and put a deck on top,  

Back