OOOOOOps #2

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
The "kids" used the boat last weekend.  Tied it up to go to the house for lunch and babies naps.  When they came back this is what they saw.  It was really busy and the docks are on the main channel.  Somehow the nose of the toon got under the dock.  Daughter was really upset.  They sent the pictures.  I asked if they knew where the duct tape was.  Told them to tape it up and go boating for the rest of the day.  

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

Yikes! Glad you're taking it so well...

Ooouuch! The good news is a competent welder can have that repaired in no time. Sorry to see the damage!

I agree. The weld held.  It ripped the metal but did not bend the toon.

Yikes! Glad you're taking it so well...

Had a Dad that would have freaked out.  Learn to never borrow anything of his.  My rule with the "kids" is don't do stupid things, don't hurt somebody by doing stupid things, return it in better shape than you got it and if something happens fix it.  

Had a Dad that would have freaked out.  Learn to never borrow anything of his.  My rule with the "kids" is don't do stupid things, don't hurt somebody by doing stupid things, return it in better shape than you got it and if something happens fix it.  

Good attitude. I'm sure they appreciate your position and take it to heart more readily than the "dad will kill us" approach. In the end, it's just a thing that can be replaced. I'm also sure that many of us around here might easily make the same mistake.

Life happens...

Is tying off to the pontoon itself the only option? No cleats in the right place?

That aught to buff right out.

Life happens...

Is tying off to the pontoon itself the only option? No cleats in the right place?

We are in a double boat slip.  No way to tie off the port side.  We clip from the dock in front of the boat to both toon eyes to control the side motion.  Tie from a dock cleat on the starboard side to the front boat cleat to stop the boat forward motion.  This line is what let the boat get under the dock.  Then we tie the rear starboard line to the dock.  Bumpers floating in the water tied to the dock keep the pontoon away from the dock.  It has worked for years.  I have found out that on the 4th weekend, they had untied all the ropes.  they were supposed to leave the front ropes on the dock and just unclip the boat.  When they tied the boat, I suspect the front ropes were too short and did not allow the spring line to pull the bow far enough back away from the dock. It was OK till it got really rough wave action on Saturday. 

We are in a double boat slip.  No way to tie off the port side.  We clip from the dock in front of the boat to both toon eyes to control the side motion.  Tie from a dock cleat on the starboard side to the front boat cleat to stop the boat forward motion.  This line is what let the boat get under the dock.  Then we tie the rear starboard line to the dock.  Bumpers floating in the water tied to the dock keep the pontoon away from the dock.  It has worked for years.  I have found out that on the 4th weekend, they had untied all the ropes.  they were supposed to leave the front ropes on the dock and just unclip the boat.  When they tied the boat, I suspect the front ropes were too short and did not allow the spring line to pull the bow far enough back away from the dock. It was OK till it got really rough wave action on Saturday. 

Makes sense. Life goes on.

Was this the 2008 or 2015???

Im sorry that happend.

I can offer some Advice, Find a good aluminum welder. Call around. Most shop's can do aluminum welding, But the shop they have is not set up to accept a Large pontoon boat. Example its easy to find a guy that can weld like a mad man but Can he transport his welder to the parking lot to get down on your boat Ect? call around and your get the job done.

#2 In each of the sections of the pontoon. they have a bung. the Bung is a threaded insert the factory welds in to pressure test the toon's. Its located at the top side of the pontoon. Most likely you will have to remove the side skirt to get to the bung and Un thread it. or Open the toon up. This will make welding on the toon WAY easier.  With out getting into it, as they weld on the toon it builds up heat and air is trapped or cant escape and it makes welding up the toon pretty hard as you finish the weld. So with thoes 2 bits of advice you should be able to get back in business, My guess is thats a $200-$500 weld job

Best of luck my friend be sure to post pictures after your boats all fixed 

A tig welder shouldn't build up that much heat especially in a large chamber like the nose cone. Worst case, it could be welded almost completely closed, cool off and finish the weld. I'm not a professional welder, but schooled. If I was near you and had a tig handy, even I think I could weld that back up, so it should be a fairly easy fix, just not cheap. I'm guessing a "mobile" welder is $200 just to come out, plus the repair. I'm thinking $3-$500 also. 

Here is mine. Happened while unloading at the dealer. It's all welded and holding fine till they get my new toon in./monthly_2016_05/large.572893eb21e2c_Denny1(1).JPG.3f4465ca3c8078115a6aecf418e4b9b1.JPG

Insurance !

You are a good man.  I unfortunately would have freaked out...at least 10 years ago.  Hopefully the older me would have been more like you.  Great job on the way you handled it!!!   ...and a good aluminum welder can make it look new for very little cost.   :D

Ouch for sure! My dad would have freaked out as well. I don't want to be him so I now stay calm. Just like today when my wife brought the truck home with a dent in the tail gate. Turns out she backed into our friends mailbox last night when she left..... 

Insurance !

I would not use insurance on this small a claim.  The rate increases would be more than the claim. 

MrG thanks for the advice.  My boat shop is talking to the welder they use to confirm he can handle the alloy.

BigK - it was the 2008 at Lake Cumberland.  Our dock is main channel.  I am using our cousins slip because they allow 8'6" boats.  it is the last slip away from land.  There is nothing to mitigate the waves before they reach the slip.  Our slip is closer to land and has some protection from the other dock.  We are extending the slips in the spring to allow the bigger boats and I can move back next year.  There was a house sale that fell through because the dock didn't allow 8'6" boats. That got slip owners' attention.  

Back