Photos!

cookie-jar-1.jpg

Thanks dasalmon

This weekend is going to feel more like March than all of March so far...but my boat is scheduled to come out of winter storage Saturday of Sunday! So it's time to post a picture from fall of 2014...as I get my head set for spring of 2015! Insurance kicks in on April 1st. Hoping for my first outing on April 4th! As of today, the long-range forecast says 56deg and some sun on Saturday April 4th. That will be good enough for me!

How are those coolers tied down on your aft deck, Jeff? Got any close ups? I've been thinking about doing a semi-permanent install in that same spot. 

How are those coolers tied down on your aft deck, Jeff? Got any close ups? I've been thinking about doing a semi-permanent install in that same spot. 
I can take some photos when I get the boat back out...which...by the way is hopefully this weekend!! I don't know if I mentioned that...

After doing some quick looks at pictures of the boat, I don't have anything that shows that back corner yet. Sorry about that.

In words though - it was a pretty easy customization. I bought some black-anodized 90deg angle aluminum from Great Lakes Skipper (same as Kendor Marine in Franklin WI). They stock all kinds of odds and ends boat building supplies. Bored nice clean holes, measured a bunch of times, laid out a template and screwed everything to the deck with stainless hardware. L shaped aluminum in the front, sides, and back. A 'T' shaped piece between the two coolers.

Additionally, I put some heavier gauge aluminum L-shaped brackets in front of all 4 of the coolers' rear wheels. The whole thing is held firmly and exactly against the rear rail. It can't roll backward off the boat because of the front aluminum and the wheel stops. And it can't go side to side either. 

The nicest thing about the setup is we never have to take the coolers off the boat (and pretty much...we don't). Whether trailering at 65mph, or boating through 3' rollers on Lake Michigan, the coolers never budge.

A black bungee cord anchors in the back left corner, goes up and over both coolers right in front of the rear handle and anchors down again on back right corner.

The front two bungees you can see in the picture, they cross diagonally. 

I'll shoot some pix and post them here when I see the boat again. Another thing to look forward to this week!!

-J

Oh...one other little p.s. - my batteries are all on the starboard side of the boat. So this is perfect - they may weigh 60# each. But so do the batteries! The two weights offset.

I don't know how you guys can drill into your boats! It makes me anxious just thinking about it.  I just like everything as it came from the factory! Kudos to designing and building a system that works for you Jeff.

No drilling - just screws. That's how everything gets mounted to the deck. Screws. Gently thread the screw through the seagrass...and you're into the wood deck. Ever you want to take it out - just unscrew it. Everything on the boat is screwed to the floor. You just need to do your first one...and then it won't seem so scary.  :)

Looking forward to seeing the detail on that. I'll be getting the boat back out this weekend. Excited for some 70˚ temps and more glassy water. Hardly anyone out there still this time of year. Here's a new version of a photo I took last year out on Powell. I haven't done star trails in a while, but I figured I took all the shots, might as well process them. 

IMG_3960-ps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, frigging awesome!!

The thought occurred to me that you could design a bracket such that part of it (a "tab" section if you will) would slide UNDER the fence.  Then screw the tab part to the deck from INSIDE the rear lounger.  That way, no screw holes in the rear deck OUTSIDE the fence.  If you sell the boat, or no longer have the coolers, or whatever, no visible holes.

I don't know how you guys can drill into your boats! It makes me anxious just thinking about it.  I just like everything as it came from the factory! Kudos to designing and building a system that works for you Jeff.
When I put the second battery and charging relay in our boat, it took me a long while to pull the trigger on the drill to put the first screw in the floor.  Lots of measuring to make sure the lounger would shut, the changing curtain bracket would clear it, etc. 

The second screw was not a problem!

I was hoping to see some sweet photos by now that would carry me through the work day.

I'd love to be on big water....maybe one day. Looks like a nice day on the water Carl

That's how you did selfies back in the day 

People didn't yet learn how to turn the phone around!!! I love it

Hey  bcpnick, are those HDR  photos?

My wife is the photo nut of our family and feel we will be adding a few photos from time to time after we pick up the Benny next week.

actually Taking pictures helped me get the go-ahead on buying the Benny. After paddling my wife around in out kayak to get pictures of birds I told her it had to be an easier way,lol.

One from the Kayak

And this will be the majority of our background in coming pics, A 180 from bcpnick but its home.

Also the 6D with a 100-400 L lens (she is killing me for the Mark III).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey  bcpnick, are those HDR  photos?
No, just single exposures. 

That 100-400L lens is fun. I rented one the last time I went up to Yellowstone. Too much money and not enough use for me to justify purchasing, but what a great lens for shooting birds and wildlife. 

Back