Picked Up Our First Kneeboard for the Bennington!

Kells, thanks for adding the emphasis to this.

Generally on an adult, the ass is bigger than the knee.  That makes the angle between the upper thigh and the kneeboard such that an adult will "squirt out" from under the strap when they wipe out. If that makes any sense.

For kids, their upper thigh is pretty much parallel to the board since they can pretty much sit their butt right on the board between their feet.  So when a kid is strapped in, their upper leg is pretty much parallel with the board, and since there is very little angle, they don't automatically "squirt out" from under the strap and they can get trapped.

It more or less says all this on a tag on my strap in fine print. I just hadn't noticed it before.  I felt pretty stupid because I'm the type that will read every word in my insurance policies, yet nearly killed both my kids kneeboarding.  Hoping others here don't make the same mistake.
I'm, hurt. Can't believe you just said I had a big ass. I thought we were friends. Big jerk. Hehe makes sense after you say it.

And Smitty rejoices!!
Lol !! I scrubbed the toons this weekend and gained about 1-1/2 mph. I wondered why I dropped to 9. Now I'm flying at 10-1/2 to 11 !!

I'm, hurt. Can't believe you just said I had a big ass. I thought we were friends. Big jerk. Hehe makes sense after you say it.
Ha ha! I'm sorry Derrick, you look great in that dress.

Ha ha! I'm sorry Derrick, you look great in that dress.

At least you didn't say "thong" ......
Wow, you two need to seriously get out more! It especially concerns me that the first image that came to you was of me in a dress! (I thought I burned all those Polaroids! :eek:

Now to get back on topic (you never know who might be watching!) we just have a cheap knee board we picked up at Canadian Tire many years ago. I think it is a Body Glove brand. We thought about getting a better one, but for the amount we use it, it will be just fine. 

So after the tips here and using the tow hook on the board I got up on my first try yesterday. Thanks to all for the tips!

CIMG2705_zps15e99cf8.jpg

Look at you cutting like a pro! Hehe. I remember how surprised I was the first time I got up on the board how easy it was to move my legs around to get into the strap. At one point I had the board almost sideways and was able to easily reach down with my one free hand and move it around to get situated right.

Again, it all goes back to the size of your ass Derrick.

Look at the angle at Andy's knees in the photo and you can see how he could pop out from under the strap. He obviously has a big ass too.

It felt like the strap was too far forward but when I was finally done i popped right out. That sentence doesn't sound right but I am referring to knee boarding.

Well done and good form!

Thanks all for the great advice regarding our first kneeboard purchase.  Seems like a topic that received a lot of interest, which is great.  First thing I did was to remove the strap, had zero impact to how I was able to use it, maybe some day I'll put it back on if I find I could use it, but it's not likely that will be any time soon!

I wiped out the first two times I tried to get up, both I attribute to two things:

1) Not going fast enough, which made the board very unstable.  I thought I had said to go 13-15mph, wife never got above 8mph :(

2) Not leaning back far enough.  As soon as you pick up the board off the hook, you have to lean back and get the center of gravity on the back half of the board.  I allowed myself to be pulled over the front.

After I figured out those two things, it was a great start.

1) Hook tow line into hook.

2) Grab side of board

3) Get up to 8 mph

4) Get up on knees (both knees at the same time!)

5) Get up to 13-15mph

6) Lift tow line off the hook and lean back

7) Have fun!

My wife and I both tried it and it is a blast.  We've each done it like three times, so our focus is starting to explore moving back and forth within the wake, navigating turns, and having fun.

Here is a video of my third ride as I attempted to go outside the wake.  It was pretty windy so that water was relatively choppy.  Anxious to try again when it's a calm day.

Nice video -- looking good!

Snakebyte, it may be the angle of the video but it looks like you may need a longer rope. looks like you are right behind the spray from the motor

Nice video! As soon as it gets out of the 60's I'll be back on mine!

NO Sh!P!!!! This weather is redonkulious!

Snakebyte, it may be the angle of the video but it looks like you may need a longer rope. looks like you are right behind the spray from the motor
I thought the same when I watched the video, but it's a 55' rope.  Not sure what the standard length should be for kneeboarding...when you're on the board, it feels like plenty of room.

I thought the same when I watched the video, but it's a 55' rope.  Not sure what the standard length should be for kneeboarding...when you're on the board, it feels like plenty of room.
I'd recommend a no stretch wakeboard line that allows you to take off loops to get the right length. We use 60' plus a handle loop.

I would buy another rope and add 10 feet to get you to the second wake, you will get a smoother ride & can cross back & forth easier. Kneeboards are great! you can take someone who has never skied and get them up on a kneeboard. I started out on truck inner tubes when I was young, just watch out for the valve stems

Back