Pontoon Dolly For Moving Pontoon on Concrete Floors

JimJ

Reaction score
I store my pontoon over winter in a storage barn with concrete floors. What does Bennington recommend to use as an easily movable set of four pontoon dollies with large swivel wheels so the pontoon can be moved easily around the floor. (The pontoon has ultralegs/sealegs. These make it harder to load using a scissors trailer. Thus, larger wheels are needed to ensure the trailer can slide beneath the ultralegs/sealegs.) Pontoon is a Bennington 2023 20LSR.

New Benny? Congratulations! Don’t be shy, share some pics. ;)

As for your question: I don’t know of any recommendations on Bennington’s part specifically. However, I am sure there are some members in here with good advice from personal experience. Hopefully you will see some soon.

Can’t say what they recommend but heres a photo of mine from factory showing what they use.

728F1DAD-61B7-4D80-8B1E-EF3F74644E58.jpeg

I store my pontoon over winter in a storage barn with concrete floors. What does Bennington recommend to use as an easily movable set of four pontoon dollies with large swivel wheels so the pontoon can be moved easily around the floor. (The pontoon has ultralegs/sealegs. These make it harder to load using a scissors trailer. Thus, larger wheels are needed to ensure the trailer can slide beneath the ultralegs/sealegs.) Pontoon is a Bennington 2023 20LSR.

Thank you Vikingstaff & Semperfi8387 for your quick replies and the picture. Perhaps I should have asked what Brand of dolly Bennington uses and whether the ones shown have sufficient clearance with ultralegs/sealegs to enable a scissors trailer to slide underneath for loading and unloading.

Do you think Bennington would be reluctant to identify a brand name because it might be construed to be an endorsement? Or do you think Bennington manufactures the dollies for their private use? If they manufacture them for private use, would Bennington be willing to sell them as accessories?

So far, I have only seen one product that looks like it is used for pontoons. Unfortunately, it looks too low to the ground to be used with ultralegs/sealegs and a scissors trailer.

From the looks of them in my pic, they look like they made them.

I have Sea Legs myself. The size and type shown in SemperFi’s picture above that Bennington uses look like they’d work just fine for your purposes. Just eye-balling the picture, I think it work with my bought if I was trying to do what your are. Unfortunately, as mentioned, kind of look to be made in house.

Just a thought here, but…

(1) Given what you said above about struggling to find a product that seems to be meeting your need, have you consider having some built yourself? Maybe a local or regional metal shop could make you something specific? Sometimes something custom build like that locally is as affordable (sometimes more affordable) than something via third party after market.

(2) Also, maybe local dealerships could point you in the right direction, be it purchasing something they use as a dealership from another party, or pointing you in the direction of a local shop that can make you what you need per idea #2 above?

(3) If 1 and 2 above are dead-ends, you could try reaching out to Bennington. See what products or ideas they might have. Since they don’t typically work customer direct, but rather dealership direct, I’d save this as a last resort. Kind of like reaching out to GM about something they use in the factory that you’d want in your garage. Just not how that kind and scale of business is done. But, as a last resort, what would you have o lose?

My neighbor made his own with landscaping Timbers, a few lag bolts, and wheels from Menards. He made a simple square, bolting two Timbers on top of the bottom set which is bolted to the caster wheels. Very simple and works great assuming he stays in the concrete driveway. Allows him to move the pontoon anyway needed after lowering from rented trailer. He needed this approach given height of garage door.

Could you possible use these and make a rolling frame underneath them to mount on? That would mean you could make them any height you want. Just use strong material for the base these would mount on. Maybe a solid piece of a butcher block counter table so it could hold the weight since it won't be setting on dirt or concrete?
We used this on our duck pontoon boat before we got a trailer for it, but as you said, your sea legs will probably be too low.

The only thing I was told my our mechanic is that you want to center them under the nose cone weld and the back end cap weld or you could "fish hook" a log (meaning it would bend)..

1670461958147.png

I want to thank everyone for their time, suggestions and pictures. I am not much interested in doing it myself. I don't have the skills or the desire to create something that skilled craftsmen could do much better.

I had asked my dealer if he knew where I could get some dollies that would work well for the pontoon. This dealer made the dollies on their showroom floor. He did tell me the name of a friend who could make some for me. I thought that I would see if anyone in the Bennington owners club knew of something tailor-made for Bennington before I had some made from scratch. (I figure if people had already successfully used some, then I would prefer those to some that were made locally -- I didn't look forward to using my new pontoon as a test platform for a beta product that might have a few design flaws.)

I have until Spring before I take delivery of the pontoon; then until Fall before I need to store it. This gives me some time to find a good solution. Meanwhile, if anyone does find a product that I have missed, please let me know. If and/or when I find something that works for me, I will post an update in case other owners would like to what might be available.

I would have Dollie’s that have bunks attached (just like a boat lift) with those bunks, I wouldn’t worry about getting on boat and causing any damage.
Otherwise use the google and search for pontoon dolly’s. Those may not have the wheel height you’re looking for though.

Some rubber or carpet laying on these and you’d probably be fine with them placed at nose and rear cap welds. The keel on bottom takes all the weight when sitting on the ground and those weld points are the appropriate support points. The 1500# is each dolly per their specs. That’s 6000# total.

Could you possible use these and make a rolling frame underneath them to mount on? That would mean you could make them any height you want. Just use strong material for the base these would mount on. Maybe a solid piece of a butcher block counter table so it could hold the weight since it won't be setting on dirt or concrete?
We used this on our duck pontoon boat before we got a trailer for it, but as you said, your sea legs will probably be too low.

The only thing I was told my our mechanic is that you want to center them under the nose cone weld and the back end cap weld or you could "fish hook" a log (meaning it would bend)..

View attachment 33753
If you mount those plastic risers to a base with wheels, make the base oversize to widen/lengthen the wheelbase to lower the risk of hitting an obstacle and toppling one over when moving.

These are the Dollie’s I use on my Tritoon. The bottom edge of the pontoon is 12 inches off the ground. Hope this helps .

Attachments

• 8A05D98B-B55C-4EC6-8146-F08095359241.jpeg
    8A05D98B-B55C-4EC6-8146-F08095359241.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 714D774E-4E7D-4A62-8866-B5F83D7E09DA.jpeg
    714D774E-4E7D-4A62-8866-B5F83D7E09DA.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
These are the Dollie’s I use on my Tritoon. The bottom edge of the pontoon is 12 inches off the ground. Hope this helps .
I really like those!
How are these for rolling resistance?
If they roll easy I would like to buy a set! If they roll hard...well I don't need four more of those!

I only move the Boat a few feet after it is on the Dollie’s. My Boat is a 2022 24ft Tritoon with a 200hp outboard. I can move one end of the Boat by myself without any trouble but need someone on the other end to move the whole Boat. All the wheels on the Dollie rotate 360 degrees, so you need someone on each end for control. The roll resistance isn’t bad considering the amount of weight I’m moving. Hope this helps.

I only move the Boat a few feet after it is on the Dollie’s. My Boat is a 2022 24ft Tritoon with a 200hp outboard. I can move one end of the Boat by myself without any trouble but need someone on the other end to move the whole Boat. All the wheels on the Dollie rotate 360 degrees, so you need someone on each end for control. The roll resistance isn’t bad considering the amount of weight I’m moving. Hope this helps.
Honestly, this sound very impressive. I don’t use/need pontoon dollies. However, if I ever do, these sure sound and look like a nice option.

I have the Sternmasters that I bought there 4-5 yrs ago when I was up in MI for business.I use them on my 25’ Benny Q with a 300 hp. Well Built HD units compared to my neighbors HF units.

Thank you for posting the pics. Those dollies might work. I am going to contact sternmaster to see how much weight each one supports. Also i wonder if the pontoon suppports would eventually spread apart from the weight of the pontoons resting on them.

Back