Post up your other toys or hobbies ..... AGAIN

I had power running boards on my former Escalade. Very nice feature untill…

Winter ice and snow would get caught and freeze them up when parked at work. After a number of years, the motors burned out in them. Cost to replace, $4k. Cadillac dealership said it is common in winter climates. Anyway, I said no way to paying $4k (at that time, maybe 2017). Had to run with them turned off for the final 3 years I owned it before just going ahead and selling it in 2020.

For those living in the north, I would encourage to NEVER get power running boards. Never, ever, ever. For those in the south, probably not an issue. Be grateful that you are in the south and likely will not run into said issue.
Cool feature to have though! But not the $4,000 to replace the motors.....

I am sure a significant portion of that $4k is the good ole luxury premium vehicle up charge. As to the feature, when it worked it was awesome. Loved it…until I didn’t.

I had power running boards on my former Escalade. Very nice feature untill…

Winter ice and snow would get caught and freeze them up when parked at work. After a number of years, the motors burned out in them. Cost to replace, $4k. Cadillac dealership said it is common in winter climates. Anyway, I said no way to paying $4k (at that time, maybe 2017). Had to run with them turned off for the final 3 years I owned it before just going ahead and selling it in 2020.

For those living in the north, I would encourage to NEVER get power running boards. Never, ever, ever. For those in the south, probably not an issue. Be grateful that you are in the south and likely will not run into said issue.
Not an issue here. Plus, mine NEVER sits outside when home. Always indoors.

Not an issue here. Plus, mine NEVER sits outside when home. Always indoors.
My issue was being parked outdoors in the parking lot at work all day after slush and snow would get packed up in it on the drive in. Home, not an issue with garage. However, a northern issue. I was just sharing for others in colder climates.

I am sure a significant portion of that $4k is the good ole luxury premium vehicle up charge. As to the feature, when it worked it was awesome. Loved it…until I didn’t.

Kind of like the word BOAT. My Caddy had a door switch issue. Costs high hundreds at the dealer to repair. Some brake cleaner, fresh lubricant and a 1/2 hours time, it’s been working for months (hope I didn’t jinx myself :eek:) My caddy has the strike on the door and an electronic switch in the jamb. Backwards from normal cars. Go figure.

Photos from the local car show Saturday

Attachments

• C9277AFF-72C1-4DD6-82B2-517554854802.jpeg
    C9277AFF-72C1-4DD6-82B2-517554854802.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 5239FC58-F08F-46DB-B65D-E90875B9D47E.jpeg
    5239FC58-F08F-46DB-B65D-E90875B9D47E.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 26
Lil dude?!? He's getting so big! Cool cars!

Did a veterans appreciation ceremony and gave a demo of WWII equipment and firearms this past Saturday at the Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit Michigan. Cool fort built in 1845 and most of the buildings are still standing and in fairly good shape. Had a few M1 Garand's, M1918 BAR, and M1928 Thompson SMG from our group represent. Dummy grenade launching from a M1 is always a fun thing to do.

The Vietnam vets were surprised on how heavy the BAR was / is along with 12 20round mags of 30-06 ammo and packs. Their M14's and M16's were tiny compared to the BAR.

Got an end of Day photo Bomb of Band of Brothers of the 5 of us (the 6th guy took the picture)

Attachments

• Band of Brothers.jpeg
    Band of Brothers.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 15
  • BAR display.jpeg
    BAR display.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Barracks.jpeg
    Barracks.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 14
  • camp 2.jpeg
    camp 2.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Camp 3.jpeg
    Camp 3.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Camp.jpeg
    Camp.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Firepower.jpeg
    Firepower.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Image 6.jpeg
    Image 6.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Image 8.jpeg
    Image 8.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Image 9.jpeg
    Image 9.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 15
  • inside the fort walls gun ports.jpeg
    inside the fort walls gun ports.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Mitch and Todd.jpeg
    Mitch and Todd.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 16
  • Sherman tank.jpeg
    Sherman tank.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 15
  • squad on top of tunnel entrace.jpeg
    squad on top of tunnel entrace.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Tunnel 1.jpeg
    Tunnel 1.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Tunnel 2.jpeg
    Tunnel 2.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 13
  • Tunnel entrance.jpeg
    Tunnel entrance.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 15
Did a veterans appreciation ceremony and gave a demo of WWII equipment and firearms this past Saturday at the Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit Michigan. Cool fort built in 1845 and most of the buildings are still standing and in fairly good shape. Had a few M1 Garand's, M1918 BAR, and M1928 Thompson SMG from our group represent. Dummy grenade launching from a M1 is always a fun thing to do.

The Vietnam vets were surprised on how heavy the BAR was / is along with 12 20round mags of 30-06 ammo and packs. Their M14's and M16's were tiny compared to the BAR.

Got an end of Day photo Bomb of Band of Brothers of the 5 of us (the 6th guy took the picture)

Thats really cool Todd. Love the Band Of Brothers pic!!

Fantastic! Fort Wayne is really cool! Often overlooked outside the metro area. The history teacher in me applauds the artifact collection. Nice!

I have a small artifact collection, mainly WWII era items, I accumulated over the years for classroom and student use.

Here was our WWII show-n-tell artifact day from back in 2018. Since I curated this video as a “senior goodbye” it focuses on the seniors I had that year (mainly taught juniors), so it’s not as focused on the actual artifacts. Students trying on some of my uniforms and looking at other items, readings, newspapers, etc… All authentic from the time - no recreations. I added to my collection a bit in 2019, but then retired in 2020.

WWII Artifacts Day - Senior’s Goodbye

Fantastic! Fort Wayne is really cool! Often overlooked outside the metro area. The history teacher in me applauds the artifact collection. Nice!

I have a small artifact collection, mainly WWII era items, I accumulated over the years for classroom and student use.

Here was our WWII show-n-tell artifact day from back in 2018. Since I curated this video as a “senior goodbye” it focuses on the seniors I had that year (mainly taught juniors), so it’s not as focused on the actual artifacts. Students trying on some of my uniforms and looking at other items, readings, newspapers, etc… All authentic from the time - no recreations. I added to my collection a bit in 2019, but then retired in 2020.

WWII Artifacts Day - Senior’s Goodbye
Fantastic video. That is really cool. Thanks for sharing that and getting the young generation aware of the history. Won't be much longer before all those Veterans are gone and we only have what we have been told and have collected left to share with the future generations.

Wow …. The stories those uniforms could probably tell … :)

Wow …. The stories those uniforms could probably tell … :)
Absolutely agree. Amazing. A lot of gear my son uses in original WWII vintage because he is a smaller dude and wears stuff like a 38R jacket and 32" waist pants (like 95% of the American GI's back in the 30's and 40's). There isn't much original stuff left or was never made in sizes for us old fat bastards like a 46R coat or 36/38 pants etc, so that's all repro stuff. :cool:

Our M1 garand is a all Springfield Armory build. Barrel and receiver are matched at 3/1944 with Trigger guard, OP rod and GAW cartouge stock all in the early 1944 range. The trigger and safety must have been replaced at some time frame as they are a Nov 1944 serial number

Fun stuff for sure. Once you descend down that rabbit hole, there is no coming back. HAHHAHA

What I find comical, is my son was eating reproduction K rations and even included cigarettes in which the website doesn't even ask you for your age. He and other members of group enjoy the food. Breakfast is SPAM and dried eggs. HAHAHAH

Fantastic video. That is really cool. Thanks for sharing that and getting the young generation aware of the history. Won't be much longer before all those Veterans are gone and we only have what we have been told and have collected left to share with the future generations.
So true! I used to have some veterans come in to speak, and then became too challenging. Also used to field trip down the Holocaust Memorial Center in Southfield each year. Tour the museum with a personal docen and then cap off our day hearing from a Holocaust survivor. Most power moment each year was that talk. Sadly, over time, there were no more survivors still alive to speak to the students. Often a family member would share, but it was never the same, but still good. Nothing beats living memory and hearing from & speaking to someone in person. But eventually we are just left with artifacts, books, stories, and media (these days).

Found a unicorn last week. My son who loves S Series Chevy trucks and and currently drives a last year produced 2005 ZR2 blazer has been wanting to find a pick up truck for work and hauling his re-enacting gear etc. Been looking forever and most are just bad. 180K+ miles, good old 2000's Chevy rusted Sheetmetal etc. Ended up finding a 2003 ZR5 crew cab (only made 2001-2004) with 45K original miles in Ohio. Had been stored indoors and only driven on the guys property to check on his fences etc. I don't think anybody has ever sat in the back seat. Zero rust, clean underbody, Locking rear diff, trailering, factory fog lamps etc. Even got the window sticker for it. Brand new tires, tinted windows, aftermarket radio with Bluetooth, XM, Apple Car play, back up and front facing camera ready, remote start, alarm etc.

Put a deposit down and drove down last Wednesday and made the 200+ mile ride home. Cold AC, cruise control at 75 mph on the turnpike, let go of the steering wheel and drives true and straight with no shimmy or shaking.

My son had no idea we went down and got it as he just had returned from a re-enactment even in Eastern PA. Needless to say he was pleased.

I was lucky enough that my parents bought my first ride which we did for his ZR2 back in 2019 but this truck he gave us 50% down of the truck once he knew we bought it and is making monthly payments to us for the other 50% of the cost of the vehicle.

The funny thing is I actually had one of these back in 2001 which was a dark green one when I was working for GM in Flint. Like father like son I guess. HAHAHHA

Attachments

• Cluster 1.jpeg
    Cluster 1.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 17
  • front quater.jpeg
    front quater.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 17
  • Passenger side.jpeg
    Passenger side.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 17
  • roof rack.jpeg
    roof rack.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 16
  • window_sticker.jpg
    window_sticker.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Rear seat.jpeg
    Rear seat.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2005 ZR2 Blazer.jpg
    2005 ZR2 Blazer.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2001 crew cab.JPEG
    2001 crew cab.JPEG
    79.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2005 ZR2 blazer front end.JPG
    2005 ZR2 blazer front end.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2005 ZR2 blazer side shot.JPG
    2005 ZR2 blazer side shot.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 16
Great find! I bet he was pleased!

Great find! I bet he was pleased!
Thanks. He was pleased. Its funny because now he is making mods like a typical 19 year old kid does like I did back in the 80's and 90's 2000's. He ordered a lift kit, tonneau cover, push / brush guard, and all new LED lights for the headlights, etc.

Ah, what it would like to be a kid again. Kind of jealous but looking forward to wrenching on a older truck again. HAHAHA

Back