Price

nycali98

Reaction score
I am in the process if buying a 22SSLX with the following upgrades....Yamaha 115LADT,sports performance package,battery single switch,sea star hydraulic lift with tilt,pillow top upholstery,2 portable cup holders,cup holder stern lounge, g series helm chair upgrade, teak table upgrade,extended aft deck with vinyl flooring, wide tread telescoping ladder and stainless steel boarding handles,custom wheel upgrade with teak accents and etched center cap, fish/depth graph-100 garmin, Sony m6cd with USB port, Bimini blue ice Led lighting,docking lights led on stainless steel housing,privacy enclosure with frame and curtain , ski tow bar and stainless steel rub rail....including all dealer fees,shipping and trailer $48,556 MSRP out the door minus taxes is $40,700. I think he could go lower .... Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

There are too many factors to "guess" whether its a good price. Where are you located ?

I have seen anywhere from 15-30% off MSRP depending on location, time of year, large or small dealer, etc.....

The IMPORTANT thing is, do YOU think the price is fair and within your budget ?

If it is, BUY IT !! A better deal ALWAYS comes along after the fact, trust me I know, but I just sit on my BENNY and forget about it ..........

It all comes down to the question, "Am I happy with this price?" Luxury items are a want, not a need. I had the same issues as you do. In the end, I decided I could be happy with the price I was paying for my "want."

In my opinion, should you choose to make this purchase, you will be buying from the best manufacturer in the business.

Good luck and happy boating.

Yup, what ^ they said!!

"nycali98" Mostly agree with the above - you are considering a true quality boat and motor and will be happy with both. On the other hand, your numbers are at the low end of the "15-30% off MSRP". My opinion is I think you are right - he could go lower.

I think you might want to haggle some more.

There is another topic on here about how much the average person got off their purchase. I think the average was 23%.

Like they say, there are many factors to the cost and selling price. Boat dealers get different deals thrown at them by boat manufacturers, depending on volume and many other factors. Also, the farther you get away from Northern Indiana, the more delivery charges cost. And dealers can always get better deals on the outboard motors when ordered with the boat than they can buy them directly from the engine company due to Bennington's volume purchasing.

The boat you're looking at is very loaded on options, and the upholstery upgrade alone is pretty expensive. But if I was spending $40K, I'd expect it would be with the F150 Yamaha engine. I don't know the difference between a 115 and 150 Yamaha, but a Mercury 115 is $2K more than the Merc., 150 hp Fourstroke. That may give you some relativity. The dealer can do a little better than $40.7K with a 115 hp.

NYCALI98, Last summer we picked up a 2012 22sslx. Here`s the run down,90hp yamaha 4stroke,seastar, 32'' elip toons w/streaks, upgraded captains chair, fish depth garmin,single batt,standard ladder, ski tow hoop, gas grill and a few other extras. We paid around 27-28k The trailer was extra and was 2500.00

Heres my thoughts, read at your own risk---->Me and the wife bought the toon at last years boat show, not expecting to buy one mind you we were just looking at different toons to get an idea for a used boat. We couldn`t be more happy with the boat. We put about 40hrs on the motor, most of the time we were just drifting or at the sandbar.At the end of the season it looked just like when it was delivered except the toons were a little tarnished, that new toon look lasted about 2 weeks. There`s not much you can do about that and in the grand scheme who really cares.

Motor choice--The difference in price from the 90 to the 115 was about 1400.00 I didnt feel that the extra price warrented the couple extra few mph. With 3 adults on board I get 30.3mph Thats plenty good for me and it pulls a couple tubes without a problem. If I wanted a speed boat I would have gotten one. Don`t get me wrong I would love to have a 150 or 200 but the price is to high and the 22sslx won`t take anything over a 115. We wnt with yamaha because our dealer sells them, super quiet and we use about a 5 gal can of gas in a weekend.We got the seastar hydraulic steering also.It works great but cant help to wonder how the power steering would be.

Toons--We boat on the upper Niagara river, there is a swift current and it gets choppy when the winds are up and the river is full of boats.All I can say is that the 32'' elips with strakes kick some serious A$$. Awesome ride, no spray and you can hit a wake from a cruiser head on and you would hardly know it. Get the bow up and floor it,this setup gets it right up on plane in a second and it just rides on the rails like a train. Full speed in the chop is no problem just as long as the front is not loaded with people. I make better time down river than deep vee`s that can do 50mph. It turns tight enough for tubing and maneuvering just fine, I don`t see a need for a center toon to make it turn like a deep vee. You can turn the wheel all the way at full speed and it stays flat and turns tight.

Some of the things we like--The vinyl aft deck, super easy clean up when your feet are dirty from the sand bar. 3 rung flip up ladder, perfect length for the sand bar, any longer and the river bottom would bang on bottom of ladder and the telescoping ladder seamed to be a pia to get back in place from on deck.The upgraded stereo and speakers, this setup actually sounds good with lots of base and its pretty loud.The portable cup holders in front would be great but we didnt get them, really no cup holders in the front built in at all.

Things we would get now--Full wave shield, in the heavy chop you can feel the toon surge {speed up and slow down}It`s about 600 from the factory but I can have one made and install it myself for about 300.00-- LED lighting,same thing here better to do it yourself.The bimini lighting is only 4 led lights for like 200.00, look on ebay you can get full led lighting with changing colors on the toons and inside for 50.00 and they are super easy to install.Sharkhide if the dealer offered it,that would help with keeping the toons looking good.

I hope this helped, like I said its just my opinion. We like the toon a lot, it`s well built and feel we have a quality boat.The only thing we really don`t like is the tight squeeze past the captains chair, check your pockets for protruding objects before passing through or you might get a ripped seat. Bennington makes a good boat, I feel they are one of the top builders but im not going to blow smoke that they are the worlds best just to justify my purchase. If we had to do it again we would do it exactly the same way no regrets.

Good luck, congrats and happy tooning HAPEHOUR

I think alot would agree that they may not be the "best", but I think most would agree they are the "best for the money" and offer so many options and price points that almost every budget can be accomodated. I've seen a couple absolutely beautiful "other" brands on the lake, but when I looked closely, the interiors could not come close to my Benny. It makes me think of the old Caddilac Cimmaron ....... Caddy on the outside, but basically a Cavelier underneath ....... With my BENNY, its all Caddy !!!! :D

I posted in the past that we put a deposit originally on a basic 20SLX (budget based), then increased our budget to accomodate a "G" with some options, but luckily ended up with the dealer leftover 2275RLi, and the price they gave us, well we could not refuse ...... THE ONLY thing I REALLY wanted that the leftover does not have is the EXTENDED aft deck. I wanted that so bad, especilly for storage space when the day comes to cruise the ICW, but I'm looking at installing a port side ladder setup mirrored to the starboard side.

Great point, I would agree with that.All you have to do is go to the boat shows and look at the different manufacturers products and the prices and the choice is obvious.

HAPEHOUR

Well i did some neogating and there final price for the boat is 28,837(Boat) plus 2,500 (shipping) 800 (dealer fees) 4,000 (trailer)=$36,137(there cost).....My cost out door minus taxes is $40,400....with taxes is $43,800. FYI I changed the specs to a 24 sslx and EPP package .

As much as i wanted to get the boat I dont feel I am getting a good deal...So I am passing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get on Bennington's website and sort it for the dealer locations in your close proximity. Or go to Boattrader.com and find the other dealers.

The cream quickly comes to the top.

Hmmmm, what kind of trailer are you getting? That seems a little bit much for you folks down low. I'm all for getting a good trailer (obviously) but I wonder if you could save yourself quite a bit there. I would definitely check for dealers around you as well. Where did you get the 'dealer cost' from? I will say this, coming from a retail background, profit isn't a dirty word. If that is their cost, I would go back at $39500, I would think that is enough of a profit vs losing the sale completely. Then once they agree to that, hit them with a seeing if any cheaper priced trailers. My old Prestige trailer, which was a very good trailer, was only $3500. And that's in Canada from the states!!

Mine was roughly 25% off list .22 SLX

I got mine at a boat show. MSRP $46,098. I bought it for $36,900. That is right at 20% discount. I don't know if that was good or not but I was happy with it.

Bottom line if your ok with the price you don't need to justify with anyone. A far price is what your willing to pay more for some and less for others. It's like wealth there is always someone with more and with less so are you happy? I think you are.
I agree. There's always a "better" price whether $10, $100, or a thousand. It only matters if you feel you got a fair price when you bought. It's hard to compare to others, as just shipping costs can swing wildly.

I was going through the same thing . I felt I got treated fairly with what the dealer was/is offering.

The hard part is the wait .

Back