Pulled The Trigger Boat Arrives in a Week

The slowing down with more weight happens very quickly with the smaller motors.  You will not be happy with the 115.  

jman,

Got out today with the new 20slx with the 115, with 5 people max speed was 33, towing a tube with 4 people on the boat would still do 33, I was quite pleased with the boat, turned well and can really whip the tube, sounds like you may load your boat more than we do and it's a bigger heavier boat, think you would be wise to wait for the 150.

And that 33 was full throttle. Probably use less gas in the 150 at that speed too

jman,

Got out today with the new 20slx with the 115, with 5 people max speed was 33, towing a tube with 4 people on the boat would still do 33, I was quite pleased with the boat, turned well and can really whip the tube, sounds like you may load your boat more than we do and it's a bigger heavier boat, think you would be wise to wait for the 150.
Thanks so much for checking back into the thread. I'm impressed with your report it sounds as if the hype over the new 115 is deserved. We are going with the 150 (although I bet that within a year or 2 it will get the same mini makeover that the 115 and 170 just got).

The dealer doesn't have the 150 with correct shaft length and says it could take 2 weeks which is a real drag with summer and my paid for slip expiring. We are good on the price and I worry I'll have regrets if I don't go big now.

Thanks again frank, enjoy your new boat!

Adding horsepower on a pontoon/tritoon boat is not all about the speedometer.

One consideration is that it's going to handle a heavy load if people better.  The bigger motors will pull skiers and tubers much, much better.  They'll accelerate far faster than smaller motors--from a start and from mid range speeds.

But what I like about he larger motors is that you don't have to throw so much throttle (and rpm's) to produce a good cruising speed.  The smaller engines are geared .15:1 lower, and they have to run higher rpm's to cruise.  They've also got a lower pitch propeller which makes for more rpm's and more engine noise.

I saw a UTube of a boat like mine with the tachometer and speedometer accelerating and running flat out.  Believe me, there's a big difference.  Most people would just be much more satisfied with the larger motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what I like about he larger motors is that you don't have to throw so much throttle (and rpm's) to produce a good cruising speed. 
+1

Adding horsepower on a pontoon/tritoon boat is not all about the speedometer.

One consideration is that it's going to handle a heavy load if people better.  The bigger motors will pull skiers and tubers much, much better.  They'll accelerate far faster than smaller motors--from a start and from mid range speeds.

But what I like about he larger motors is that you don't have to throw so much throttle (and rpm's) to produce a good cruising speed.  The smaller engines are geared .15:1 lower, and they have to run higher rpm's to cruise.  They've also got a lower pitch propeller which makes for more rpm's and more engine noise.
+1 ^^   Very well articulated.  Some of us had to find this out the hard.

I'll have a full load of 12 on ours tonight so I will be curious to see what my top speed will be.

Yep, 150 is the way to go. As others have said, number of passengers will quickly eat at that too speed when it's unable to get you on plane. Also, after you get some dirty toons, you'll also lose 3-5 unless you keep them scrubbed. Just cleaned mine yesterday and gained about 3 mph (up to 38mph)

Best of luck, but don't skimp now. It also something that will hold resale (ie the extra for the 150). The trend is definitely heading towards the big motors.

Yep, 150 is the way to go. As others have said, number of passengers will quickly eat at that too speed when it's unable to get you on plane. Also, after you get some dirty toons, you'll also lose 3-5 unless you keep them scrubbed. Just cleaned mine yesterday and gained about 3 mph (up to 38mph)

Best of luck, but don't skimp now. It also something that will hold resale (ie the extra for the 150). The trend is definitely heading towards the big motors.
I agree. I'm ok now with the extra money (it's not as if I'm not actually getting something in return) the wait for the dealer is eating at me. Will 2 weeks turn into 4 when the ink is dry and the check is cashed? How can it be that hard to get a Yamaha 150? It would seem as if that motor would be a dime a dozen.

Thanks again everyone.

As many have said already.....if you're going to spend the money on the boat you might as well start out with as much motor as you can afford now.  I know that our gsr2250 (22' tri w/strakes) with the yamaha 150 on it will run just shy of 40 with 2 of us and a full tank of gas - cooler - munchies - beach/swim stuff on board.  A couple weekends ago we had 6 on board (3 up front and 1 in the back loungers) and we didn't have a problem getting up on plane at all.

I've never run a 115 so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison but what I do know is that I love my 150 on the back of the gsr as it planes our nicely at around 3K rpm and will cruise all day long at that speed (roughly 20-22mph) without drinking fuel like it's going out of style.  I guess coming from a 50hp 2 stroke that loved fuel the 150 doesn't seem to be to bad....guess it doesn't have to work it's butt off to get us across the lake like the old 50 did.

Looks like we are a go although I just realised/read on the Benny site that the cross members are 16" on center except for the "S" series which are 24" on center. Is this true, I was under the impression that all the boats were constructed the same and it was the seating/helm/amenities that drove the pricing from there.

Not sure it this is a concern or not, our boat has the shielding so I could only see the first cross member.

Thanks.

Jamie

Yes 24" o/c but I "think" they are still closer back toward the stern/ motor pod area. You will not notice the difference.

I jumped up and down on an S at my dealer and it felt just as strong as the G/R. There are tons of S models out there and I don't remember reading one issue about the difference.

Looks like we are a go although I just realised/read on the Benny site that the cross members are 16" on center except for the "S" series which are 24" on center. Is this true, I was under the impression that all the boats were constructed the same and it was the seating/helm/amenities that drove the pricing from there.

Not sure it this is a concern or not, our boat has the shielding so I could only see the first cross member.

Thanks.

Jamie
Mike said on the factory tour they'd never had a warranty claim as a result of 24" center supports. Market forces drove the decision to go to 16", not engineering. You're good with the 'S', mucho great boats.

Thanks for feedback. I could have sworn that I had asked if the underpinnings, pontoons and gates were the same across all lines (with the seating and helm driving price differentials) and was told that they were. My old Harris was 24" on center and I had a couple of soft spots, although the boat was 14 years old.

I imagine that the three pontoons on my boat will also help to stiffen the boat.

I've been building 2075GL's on the benny site but realize that they will be 6 grand more +/- along with a 6 week wait. I do like the rear seating area of the GL a bit better than the 21SLX as the sunpad/lounge area is larger and thus the changing room, which is very small in the SLX (why they put the battery smack in the middle of the floor in there I'll never know).

I've been building 2075GL's on the benny site but realize that they will be 6 grand more +/- along with a 6 week wait. I do like the rear seating area of the GL a bit better than the 21SLX as the sunpad/lounge area is larger and thus the changing room, which is very small in the SLX (why they put the battery smack in the middle of the floor in there I'll never know).
We were disappointed with the battery placement as well.  Even the power steering pump wasn't moved back as far as it could have been to maximize the space in the changing room.  We wanted to fit the port potty in there with at least some leg room, so we moved the battery back into the corner ourselves.  The dealer said he would do it, but was being too slow to get around to it and we figured we'd get it the way we wanted it if we just did it ourselves.

We were disappointed with the battery placement as well.  Even the power steering pump wasn't moved back as far as it could have been to maximize the space in the changing room.  We wanted to fit the port potty in there with at least some leg room, so we moved the battery back into the corner ourselves.  The dealer said he would do it, but was being too slow to get around to it and we figured we'd get it the way we wanted it if we just did it ourselves.
The battery must be move to use a porta potti for sure. Stuff like that blows my mind.

Update. Going with the 21SLX with the bigger(150) motor. Dealer is moving the battery free of charge. Hopefully will have boat in a week or so. Still can't imagine why it takes 2 weeks to get a motor in late August.

Thanks for the help and the hand holding!

Will post pics when she arrives.

Jamie

Back