Raised helm or not YES or NO

Do you favor the raised helm?

• Total voters

Timdelta

Reaction score
I've seen all kinds of posts about the raised helm, I think most are in favor of the raised helm. I would like to see a simple yes/no vote and just a very simple answer why they chose yes/no. I'm hoping this vote thing will allow that
I ordered my QFB without the raised helm due to the dealer talking me out of it, but am now thinking it may be a wrong choice.
Some of the pro/cons I have garnered from the forum are- -more wind in face, stubbed toes, slipping off of raised portion, better view, better overall look, less room for leg under wheel, too high from dash, can't get it with bolster seat, some say to just get bolster buddy, etc......
Vote below and let's see where this goes. Thanks all

I have a very basic S series. I was curious what the raised helm looked like. In the photos I saw, it's raised, what, 6" above the deck? Not sure what that 6" gives you. If it's for looks, to each their own.

What is the upcharge?

Its 4 inches higher . Aprox $850 - $1050 depending on model

IMHO, it's kind of like looking at TVs in Costco or Best Buy. If we compare the features of each TV we tend to lean toward wanting the added features, brighter picture, etc... , but the irony is when you get it in your home and there's no comparison beside it you become totally content with it. I think you'll be fine without the raised helm. To my knowledge it's more for looks. I personally would probably trip over it. lol In my Benny if I'm in a spot where I need that extra 5-6" in viewing height (i.e. docking), I just stand up. I'm sure there are those who have it and like the feature and I'm certainly not knocking personal preference. I just wouldn't stress over it and enjoy the fact that you've got it on order and it's coming your way. #my2cents

Have never tripped on raised helm as echoed by all others that have commented. Have never heard of anyone saying they have tripped. Plus sooo much classier looking

It's a priceless feature for those of short stature. Particularly when passengers are seated in starboard front.

Must have in my opinion. My cousin has a Tahoe and that is his biggest complaint (besides he didn't buy a Benny), as he has to put a cushion on his seat to see over any passengers that are setting in the benches in front of him

I was all set to get it, until I went to the showroom to see one. I didn't like the fact you had to step down from the helm (I am always moving around the boat). And I didn't see the benefit of the small height increase. When someone is sitting in front of the helm you cannot see a few feet directly ahead of the boat, but you can see 10 degrees left(over the door) or 5 degreees right of the boat. Docking I usually stand or kneel on the helm chair anyway, but that is the one time I think it would be very beneficial.

But I am 6 foot so that may skew my experience, shorter people may have more of an issue. Now the sunken bow of the R series is very cool and would be awesome, you can see everything then.

I worry about people that might trip on the raised helm. I really do. I seriously just find it hard to imagine anyone tripping on it since its tucked in so much with the actual helm seat. If one might trip on the raised helm, I shudder to think what their mobility issues are on land.

Kidding…not kidding…sort-a-thing.

;):D:cool:

Last edited:
I worry about people that might trip on the raised helm. I really do. I seriously just find it hard to imagine anyone tripping on it since its tucked in so much with the actual helm seat. If one might trip on the revised helm, I shudder to think what their mobility issues are on land.

Kidding…not kidding…sort-a-thing.

;):D:cool:
They prolly aught not be captaining a vessel with other passengers in their care.

Have never tripped on raised helm as echoed by all others that have commented. Have never heard of anyone saying they have tripped. Plus sooo much classier looking
What Mark said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10 years no trips.

The issue with asking a question like this is anyone that has it, by human nature, will be happy they spent the money on it. Anyone that does not have it, will still be 100% happy with their boat.

Ask me if the ski tow bar is a good upgrade. 1000%. Have I towed anyone on a tube? Once. Am I happy I spent the money, absolutely!

I spent a ton of time agonizing over the options before I ordered my boat. In the end I have not heard of anyone with a bad Bennington option.

The issue with asking a question like this is anyone that has it, by human nature, will be happy they spent the money on it. Anyone that does not have it, will still be 100% happy with their boat.

Ask me if the ski tow bar is a good upgrade. 1000%. Have I towed anyone on a tube? Once. Am I happy I spent the money, absolutely!

I spent a ton of time agonizing over the options before I ordered my boat. In the end I have not heard of anyone with a bad Bennington option.
Correct statement. We're all vulnerable to being self brainwashed by the need to be assured that our decisions are the correct ones.

Correct statement. We're all vulnerable to being self brainwashed by the need to be assured that our decisions are the correct ones.
While I agree, in my case we purchased our Benny off the showroom floor so there was no decision to be made regarding a raised helm. However, after six seasons, I can say that I'm glad ours came with that option.

Its 4 inches higher . Aprox $850 - $1050 depending on model
Thanks for this info Jack. I am going through Bennington's Build and Price tabs trying to build the SX and the L models but I am not seeing the raised helm as an option. Is it offered only above a certain size or trim level?

Thanks for this info Jack. I am going through Bennington's Build and Price tabs trying to build the SX and the L models but I am not seeing the raised helm as an option. Is it offered only above a certain size or trim level?

Should be available on the L models under the "Helm/Stereo" section.

BenningtonElevatedHelm.png

I had to have it but I have stumbled on it once or twice when we first got it..Still nice to have though in my mind.

I was talked out of raised helm by salesman and a senior guy at Bennington. I do like the bolster more than I thought I would and one advantage is it gives more room by steering wheel. It’s a little bit of a cramped area there. I think they could do a little better job of ergonomics in the helm area.

Back