Registering my Bennington in North Carolina

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Although we haven't brought our boat down to Lake Norman yet. (That will be something we'll do in the spring time.) I inquired about what documentation I needed to register it............my valid Virginia boat registration, original title, and $70 registration fee for one year and $130 for 3 years.........Whoa! In Virginia we paid $37 for 3 years!!!

Which brings me to........what are you all paying to register your boat per year where you boat ?!?

Indiana is no bargain. For each year:

$335 for 2013 Bennington, $48 for trailer.

$75 for 2003 Seadoo, $40 for trailer.

Indiana is no bargain. For each year:

$335 for 2013 Bennington, $48 for trailer.

$75 for 2003 Seadoo, $40 for trailer.
WOW Tom. That seems high. I have no idea what we pay as the wife handles all that. I'll have to dig it up though.

WOW Tom. That seems high. I have no idea what we pay as the wife handles all that. I'll have to dig it up though.
Another reason why I reduced the "fleet" to just these 2. My wife pays ours too, but she gently reminds me about that one!

In Tennessee

25.00 per year or 3 year 71.00

To be fair I just found out that the amount I quoted earlier included a title fee of $37. So the registration fee will be reduced to $33 a year and $93 for 3 yrs. after the initial payment. But that is still more than the $37 for 3 yrs. in Virginia.......

To be fair I just found out that the amount I quoted earlier included a title fee of $37. So the registration fee will be reduced to $33 a year and $93 for 3 yrs. after the initial payment. But that is still more than the $37 for 3 yrs. in Virginia.......
That's because you had all of those rich people paying taxes up there. We're poor down here in NC.    :p

$28 for 3yr in Michigan . If you have P.A.D.s.$28 for each new 

$423 when I bought it, but I think It's about $300 per year after that to register my boat in Utah. Ugh...

utahboatregs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fees in New York, 3 years:
Less than 16 feet: $26.25.
16 ft to 26 ft: $57.50.
26 ft or longer: $93.75

Of course that doesn't include the trailer

In Michigan we have a permanent trailer registration. Buy it once and it's done as long as you own it.

In Tennessee

25.00 per year or 3 year 71.00
The problem with Tennessee is that you pay a huge 7.0% State sales tax plus a local sales tax.

In Alabama, we pay $28 annual boat license and no ad valorem taxes on boats.  Our 2.25% State sales tax is very reasonable for a state that's so short of funds.  We have no titles on boats, motors or trailers either.

I pay $36.00 for the tag 3 years, but property tax each year will get you $436.00 for2013 2075 GL. Sales tax is limited to $300.00 for boat or cars. It's the yearly tag tax that gets me $406.00 for a 2010 Explorer. My house is Homesteaded and is $437.00 a year. We get a lot of credits on the house tax including no money to the school system Nice to be over 65

Some things are expensive while other things seem so cheap here in SC.

I'd be curious to see one of those cost of living studies. Time to hit google.

Wisconsin, under 27', $32 every 3 years.

And trailer registration under 3,000 pounds is optional. I ask myself...who would do that??? And why??? An optional tax? 

The other thing that makes me smh is the trailer registration fee is based on the weight of the trailer. Not the the weight RATING of the trailer. My trailer is 1800 pounds...so it's optional to register...which means...since I have 1/2 a brain...I don't. But going down the road, I'm over 6,000 pounds. Bizarre. In a good way for me. But bizarre.

Fees for MN For 3 years                 1# is Registration Fee        2nd # is Aquatic invasive species surcharge        + Inssuing fees

Watercraft owned by non-profit organization (Used for teaching water safety camp, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, YWCA, etc.)    $4.50   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Rental or lease watercraft up to and including 19 feet (over 19 feet same as pleasure craft);    $9.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Rental or lease personal watercraft(Jet Skis, etc.)   $37.50   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Canoes, kayaks (Including Inflatables), sailboats, sailboards, rowing shells (not rowboats) paddleboards and paddleboats(sailboats over 19 feet same as pleasure craft)    $10.50   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Personal watercraft (Jet Skis, etc.)    $37.50   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Pleasure craft less than 17 feet    $18.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Pleasure craft 17 feet up to and including 19 feet    $27.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Pleasure craft over 19 feet but less than 26 feet    $45.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Pleasure craft 26 feet but less than 40 feet    $67.50     $5.00 + issuing fee*

Pleasure craft 40 feet in length and over    $90.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Dealer's license    $67.50   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Any watercraft more than 19 feet in length for hire with an operator    $75.00   $5.00 + issuing fee*

Transfer without renewal    $4.50   $0.00 + issuing fee*

Duplicate registration card    $4.50   $0.00 + issuing fee*

Duplicate decal only    $0.00   $0.00 + issuing fee*

Back