Removing toon from trailer

BubbaW

Reaction score
Hello,

We recently purchased our first ever watercraft, 2009 2577 with F250BTXR Yamaha. Being she loves to drown crickets, I now have a happy wife which makes for a happy life. That said, I will be removing the Benny from the water in Oct for maintenance. My main question for now is how best to get the toon off the trailer and onto some supports in order to clean\shine up the toons. Still reading other threads regarding best methods of cleaning toons but would appreciate any comments from those that have done this themselves.

Thanks,

Bubba

You don't really need to remove the boat from the trailer for cleaning the toons.  Most people just do what they can with the boats remaining on the trailers.  They'll use an acid based cleaner sprayed on with a pump up yard sprayer--shortly followed by flushing with lots of water.  NAPA has a good cleaner, and other aluminum cleaners are available at most boat dealerships or online.  To keep the really shiny look, polishing will be required.

But if you really want to clean all the toons, build supports to place under your deck.  It'll take some ingenuity, but you can lift your boat one side at a time with hydraulic jacks or bottle style jacks.  If you have under deck shielding, you might have to put a long 4x4 lengthwise under the deck and do your jacking at each end of the 4x4--where there's a cross brace.

But always have secondary safety supports akin to having jack stands underneath an automobile when doing maintenance.  You don't want any injuries from the boat coming down on you.

My boat remains in a boathouse, so I just polish my toons yearly.  I really don't clean them, other than a simple pressure washing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubba, probably the easiest way to get them clean is to take your boat to Paul Seaton.  They acid wash them and they are clean, but no shine.  I also know a guy that has his own boat repair business that cleans them too, if you want his number let me know.

Roy

Well a 25R before motor weighs approx 3000 lbs, so starting there, factor in motor weight and any other items, you are easily in the  3500-4000 lb range, so lifting from front or rear, you will be carrying approx 1/2 that load, so whatever you use to lift it or support it, MAKE SURE it's rated for at least 2000 lbs.

Me personally, I'd build cribbing underneath till close to joists, then use a 2 bottle jacks to get it up high enough to support the deck and create a "platform" like a crank up trailer has. You would want to build this so you can "PULL" the trailer out from underneath or you won't clear the tongue.

OR, see if you can rent a crank up trailer and save the time and hassle.  :)

That's the sucky thing for me, I didn't buy a trailer cause my garage is not big enough to get my toon in,as there's so much I could do over the winter, I'd have the shiniest toons on the lake .......... :(

Thanks for all the responses,

As much as I enjoy doing all my own work that I fill qualified to do, I believe I'll consider two of the other options mentioned. Cleaning what I can while on trailer or take it down the street to Seatons(~ 1 mile). What I have to re-check is the price they quoted. Can't remember price per foot but with 75 ft of toons, they said it would be close to $800. Perhaps I misunderstood the price but I have to show them the invoice where they did an acid wash on the tri-toons for the previous owner last September for $300.

Did not get a trailer with purchase either Semper but fortunately I have friends who have offered to let me use theirs if I would let them park their toon in my slot while maintenance is being performed....win win :)

edit: I did misunderstand or Sam said he may have mis-spoke, acid wash is $300 for 3 -25' toons. Even tho the wash might not last but X # of months, I assume it is still good to wash them once a season ?

I would borrow a scissor trailer, then you can set the boat down onto blocks so you can work under the tubes.  Maybe use scraps of wood between the blocks and the tubes for protection.

I've never used a scissor trailer before, but from what I understand, that should work.  Someone that owns one can weigh in...

Here's a video of one in use.  The last 30 seconds shows how it cranks up.

First post. Just used my neighbors scissor trailer today (double axle) and of course had a flat after I pulled boat out of water and drove about a half mile. He had just used it to pull his boat out last week! I had to drop the boat on the shoulder of the road and go get new tire. The only "hard part" was backing under the pontoon to pick it up again after the trailer was back in running order.

2013 22 foot slx

Graphite

50 hp Yamaha

Upgraded captain chair

I know pictures!

1st lesson, EVERY trailer should have a spare. If you are cheap like me, Harbor Freight has wheel & tire for under $60.

It ain't pretty, but its only a spare !!!

That's why I'm using the borrowed trailer. Put the money into 22 foot instead of 20. I will be buying him a spare though. Did have tire shop check others ones and they replaced all valve stems for free.

Thanks for all the responses,

As much as I enjoy doing all my own work that I fill qualified to do, I believe I'll consider two of the other options mentioned. Cleaning what I can while on trailer or take it down the street to Seatons(~ 1 mile). What I have to re-check is the price they quoted. Can't remember price per foot but with 75 ft of toons, they said it would be close to $800. Perhaps I misunderstood the price but I have to show them the invoice where they did an acid wash on the tri-toons for the previous owner last September for $300.

Did not get a trailer with purchase either Semper but fortunately I have friends who have offered to let me use theirs if I would let them park their toon in my slot while maintenance is being performed....win win :)

edit: I did misunderstand or Sam said he may have mis-spoke, acid wash is $300 for 3 -25' toons. Even tho the wash might not last but X # of months, I assume it is still good to wash them once a season ?

Bubbaw...........

$300 seems a bit pricey for acid washing a tritoon. My marina charges $150 (Was $125 3 years ago) to remove it from the trailer, tape the areas that they don't want washed, acid washed, power washed and rinsed, and put it back on the trailer. Next time I'm going to ask them to leave it on the lift so I can Sharkhide all 3 of the entire tubes............

leave it on the lift so I can Sharkhide all 3 of the entire tubes............
Thanks BK....been reading about "Sharkhide" and am wondering if that is something I personally could do before placing back in water ?? 

Thanks BK....been reading about "Sharkhide" and am wondering if that is something I personally could do before placing back in water ?? 

Yes, very easy to do as long as toons are clean. Wipe on and let dry ............

I'm not positive, but I don't believe a scissor trailer can be used if you have 3 tubes on the boat.

Back