Scratches on skirt normal?

Just a idea buffed then painted a nice accent Colour ?
This is another nice idea. I was reading, and it looks you you can color paint anodized aluminum. However, you need to apply an etch premier first. So this is now another possibility.

As others mentioned, it would be nice/interesting to see pictures of the scratches after you do the water test drive…if your okay taking some and sharing here.

Sounds like maybe this boat was a boat show queen.. I’ve seen some get damaged like that at shows before Covid. The price is good now that most of the Covid boaters are gone and gas prices are high. I would expect more boats to hit the market if gas prices stay high…
Another option for you is to have the dealer or yourself install a semi rigid rub rail and maybe it will cover most of the blemishes and add some protection down the road. Taco Marine used to make the rub rails for Chaparrals and SeaRays and other boats, I’m sure they have something would make it better and most products come predrilled and include the hardware. Otherwise I’d just pull the trigger and don’t look back. Just my .02

Thank you all for the advice! I will post a picture of the scratches this evening when I get off work. I went ahead and bought the boat (will post pics once the weather clears up and I can take the cover off). I talked to the salesman about having a rubrail put on. He checked with Bennington and found out that the entire extrusion all the way around the boat would have to be replaced. The parts were approximately $1,300 and service manager etimated 17 hours labor because he said that all of the rails and the splash guards would have to come off to replace those. So, I plan to order an aftermarket rub rail and install it myself. If the scratches still bother me, I may make it a winter project to paint them.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice! Here is a picture of the scratches. I went ahead and bought the boat (will post pics once the weather clears up and I can take the cover off). I talked to the salesman about having a rubrail put on. He checked with Bennington and found out that the entire extrusion all the way around the boat would have to be replaced. The parts were approximately $1,300 and service manager etimated 17 hours labor because he said that all of the rails and the splash guards would have to come off to replace those. So, I plan to order an aftermarket rub rail and install it myself. If the scratches still bother me, I may make it a winter project to paint them.
I don’t see the picture but sounds like a good plan If they continue to scratch you. Also, doing something aftermarket given that quote sounds like a good path to explore. Cheapest solution is to have an accident yourself, blame yourself for damages, have a beer, and move on with your life…. In all seriousness, I wouldn’t do anything until year 2 about those scratches. Give yourself time to adjust and really evaluate if they “truly“ bother you once you Get to use the boat.

I have a small scratched up area on my rear port side panel from a late season, low water level, docking mishap my second season. I swore I was going to repaint or restore that immediately in the off season. Forget to do it. In the second season with it, I would only notice it when cleaning the boat, or if someone brought it up. The rest of the time it didn’t register…and it’s literally dockside. Fun with your boat can = to not always noticing the little things.

Anyway, wanted to CONGRATULATE you on the new boat. Cannot wait to see your pictures. Exciting times ahead for you and your family.

This is one like I described above, comes predrilled and with hardware. My boat has LED lighting under the rail I don’t need to take any of that off to do the install. Sounds like your dealer simply didn’t want to do the work.. There are other sizes available as well.
Good Luck and Welcome.

Attachments

• 6BAA1DDF-2DD3-4406-80CF-EC8F8DC3162E.png
    6BAA1DDF-2DD3-4406-80CF-EC8F8DC3162E.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 30
Below is a picture of the scratches. There are a few other random ones but this is the only really bad area.

Scuffs and scratches.....
TTZmQg.jpg

Unfortunately ,I don't believe a rub rail will cover all of them . Did the dealer lower the price at all, from your original post?.

That's about 3K less than you 1st posted . Still with the trailer?

Congratulations Craig! Post pics and enjoy your summer! Where in Tennessee do you boat?!?

Scuffs and scratches.....
TTZmQg.jpg
Maybe some of those can possibly be "cleaned" or wiped away?!? Worth a shot! Can't believe that all of that was caused by the straps from shipping. Was that a boat show boat or on display at the dealership?!?

although the Megaware pontoon guard is designed to be applied to the toons, I can't see any reason you couldn't apply them to the rub rail to cover the current damage and help prevent further damage . They would not prevent bow or stern damage but would prevent side damage. They are attached with 3m tape backing and are 3 1/2 inches wide.

Attachments

• E372ECB2-72DB-45BE-B79A-A92348C43BDB.jpeg
    E372ECB2-72DB-45BE-B79A-A92348C43BDB.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 26
Maybe some of those can possibly be "cleaned" or wiped away?!? Worth a shot! Can't believe that all of that was caused by the straps from shipping. Was that a boat show boat or on display at the dealership?!?
I have scrubbed pretty hard on them with no luck. I thought about trying something like a magic eraser but I don't want to end up messing up the anodized and making it look even worse.
I don't know if the boat has been att any boat shows. Have there even been any boat shows since Covid just recently disappeared? Do they usually have boats prepped with the engine and everything installed when they take a boat to a show? When we first looked at the boat, it was on display in the showroom but it had not been prepped yet.

although the Megaware pontoon guard is designed to be applied to the toons, I can't see any reason you couldn't apply them to the rub rail to cover the current damage and help prevent further damage . They would not prevent bow or stern damage but would prevent side damage. They are attached with 3m tape backing and are 3 1/2 inches wide.
Thank you! I am going to look into that right now!

Back