Scratches on skirt normal?

I am kinda thinking along those same lines. I have searched everywhere I can think of in about a 500 mile radius and this is the only one that Jason everything we are looking for.... swingback plus, Simrad, Pro XS engine, etc. I figure I can either wait and hope to find another one that is packaged the same way (and patience isn't my thing), deal with the scratches if they will not buff out, or buy a different boat that is missing some of the options thst we want.

Good thoughts above. I can appreciate wanting that boat due to layout, motor, Simrad, controls, etc. I would imagine it is very nice. Obviously those scratches are not normal. The dealers even insinuating that it is is ridiculous. Rub marks, sure. Flat out scratches…NO.

As for damage like that happening this year, I can see where shipping mishaps may become more common in the near term with the scramble to hire new truckers across the country. Maybe an inexperienced driver prepped his load…?

Without scratches, it really does sound like a good price for this market, especially with it nearly ready to go for the season at their lot. I agree that the amount off MSRP is very likely related to the damage.

I like your game plan!!! No harm in going for the test ride and seeing how buffing it out came along. Maybe it will be fine…or barely noticeable.

This is why rub rails are so nice and essential. Without them, so easy to scuff up that area. However, that’s usually with usage NOT shipping.

If it cannot get buffed out, another alternative might be to just have that side skirting vinyl wrapped. Would that work from a cosmetic perspective?

Just cover it up in that way, then it‘s a non-issue, if it is otherwise too much of a PITA to actually replace.

I only mention the above option as it otherwise sounds like a boat of interest to you, and they are coming 19% off MSRP at a time when many are not hardly budging due to sales volumes.

IF it can be addressed or covered up, probably the best price you’ll get on something comparable that is new. Likewise though, if it cannot be covered up, and it will eat away at you (initially it would 100% eat away at me - overtime, maybe not once you’re having fun with the boat), then pass and move on.

Last edited:
Good thoughts above. I can appreciate wanting that boat due to layout, motor, Simrad, controls, etc. I would imagine it is very nice. Obviously those scratches are not normal. The dealers even insinuating that it is is ridiculous. Rub marks, sure. Flat out scratches…NO.

As for damage like that happening this year, I can see where shipping mishaps may become more common in the near term with the scramble to hire new truckers across the country. Maybe an inexperienced driver prepped his load…?

Without scratches, it really does sound like a good price for this market, especially with it nearly ready to go for the season at their lot. I agree that the amount off MSRP is very likely related to the damage.

I like your game plan!!! No harm in going for the test ride and seeing how buffing it out came along. Maybe it will be fine…or barely noticeable.

This is why rub rails are so nice and essential. Without them, so easy to scuff up that area. However, that’s usually with usage NOT shipping.

If it cannot get buffed out, another alternative might be to just have that side skirting vinyl wrapped. Would that work from a cosmetic perspective?

Just cover it up in that way, then it‘s a non-issue, if it is otherwise too much of a PITA to actually replace.

I only mention the above option as it otherwise sounds like a boat of interest to you, and they are coming 19% off MSRP at a time when many are not hardly budging due to sales volumes.

IF it can be addressed or covered up, probably the best price you’ll get on something comparable that is new. Likewise though, if it cannot be covered up, and it will eat away at you (it would 100% eat away at me), then pass and move on.
You make some good points that I didn't think about. Like how the trucking industry is lately. Very likely either an inexperienced new guy, or an over worked and rushed driver.
I also hadn't thought about wrapping that part of the boat. Maybe wrap it, then put on an aftermarket rub rail to protect the wrap from getting scratched up. That would probably look pretty good! Thanks!

Welcome Craig! If it really bugs you, move on with your search. This one wasn’t meant to be. If every time you see the scratches you’re going to be upset on some level, walk away. I’m a pretty OCD kind of guy, so I totally understand!

However, several years ago my dealer damaged my tunes and skirting with acid wash. I was furious! In order to fix the problem, it would have required one new tune, new fencing, flooring and skirting. And a lawsuit!

Why do I tell you this? Because someone on this site told me to get over it and enjoy the boat. He said that I won’t be able to even see the damage while I’m on it. And, as difficult as that was for me, he was right.

So, if this one checks all the boxes and you’re happy with the price, think long and hard about how much it will bother you in the long run. Frankly, I really doubt the dealer will incur a lot of expense getting it fixed because the next person will likely scoop it up, warts and all. Boat’s are hard to come by, as are large discounts.

Good luck with your decision!
What Michiman said!!!!! You might not find another for the season. My first day out I put some nasty scratches in the boat and by the end of the season a few more. Love it just the same!!!!!!

x2 what Laurence said. You WILL put all sorts of scratches on it over time, so is it really worth continuing what will surely be a protracted search and losing time of the water over something that is ineveitable?

I bought a car a few years back and it had a small blemish on the carbon fiber air dam, some epoxy was starting to bubble up. It bugged me to no end and I was 50/50 on the purchase for a few weeks. Finally it dawned on me that everything else was perfect and it was a heck of a deal, and that no other car I was going to find would be perfect either. Pulled the trigger and it has been giving me smiles every day. The car will end up in the landfill 10 years from now with that same bubble still there.

Boats aren't meant to look good - they serve a higher purpose (time with family, friends, etc) and if this particular boat does that for you buy it. And if this blemish really does keep you up at night, everything is fixable. Try to get the dealer to buff it out as part of the sale or use it as a negotiating chip but don't let this make or break the deal.

Great advice from everyone above CraigTenn. Sounds like a great boat & great deal in today’s boating world. I’m hoping you go for it!
If this Dealer is not willing to have it professionally buffed you could likely find someone in your area that buffs/polishes 18 wheeler aluminum tanks & wheels. I imagine they could significantly improve the damaged area. If you’re a DIY handyman type you could buy a 3500 rpm buffer (Dewalt,Mikita,etc $200-$250) with some polishing wheels (Zephyr,Renegade,etc $100) and buff it out yourself. I recommend watching several online tutorial videos before going this route.
Best of Luck to Ya…

I know from past experience with my dealer, if my new Q arrives with scratches it will be repaired or the part replaced.

are you talking about the rubrail or the skirt that goes between the toon and the deck?
On the aluminum extrusion that the rub rail normally attaches to. This boat doesn't have an actual rubber rub rail on it. You would think that would be standard, but apparently not.

Everybody is talking about buffing that rub rail area out. How do you buff a "ridged" aluminum section out? Just curious. That piece is anodized correct? Won't that area become shiny if buffed?!? And then if it works the whole rub rail area perimeter needs to be buffed right?!? Ha!

Everybody is talking about buffing that rub rail area out. How do you buff a "ridged" aluminum section out? Just curious. That piece is anodized correct? Won't that area become shiny if buffed?!? And then if it works the whole rub rail area perimeter needs to be buffed right?!? Ha!
I thought about that too. I would imagine the entire rail, all the way around the boat, would have to be buffed to make It look right. Then it would need some sort of clear coat on it to keep it looking good. Someone mentioned wrapping the rail and I think that may be a great option.

I thought about that too. I would imagine the entire rail, all the way around the boat, would have to be buffed to make It look right. Then it would need some sort of clear coat on it to keep it looking good. Someone mentioned wrapping the rail and I think that may be a great option.
Are they able to wrap a ridged piece of aluminum? We had our last boat wrapped. Of course it was on the panels. Not too sure about that rub rail section!

I agree with Jack. See if they can replace it.....

Honestly, I am not sure if they could wrap it or not. Either way, replacing it would definitely be the best!
Ask they can only say no.... When you test drive the boat take a couple pics so we can see what exactly what you're talking about!

The factory was deleting rub rails and popup cleats from orders for a while. Supply chain issues

I honestly don't think I'd bother if the boat doesn't have Rub rails - take the discount and relax knowing there's already a ding and there's nothing you can do. It'll last a day on the water before you get another ding unless you have rubber rub rails. My rubber rails get a lot of use at the boat-up bars and docks we visit all summer. :cool:

Same for our rub rail. No way around it. Super practical, and takes some of the beating. My understanding is you can add these on later - both after market or OEM (if you can get your hands on them due to supply chain issues).

Back