Simon Motor Sports and my Verado

I do see what you are saying.  If I remember correctly there was a whole discussion on this on another board and it was said the dealer would never download a program that overwrites the main program.  I honestly don't know, I am quite sure Simon Motorsports said this cannot happen.  I need to find out.

I did read where some people bought from Ebay or online ECM's and did what jsur is talking about.  They are not cheap though new from what i remember.

when you talk to Simon ask if they are upgrading the new mercury 150 4 stroke

Wild and Free,

Would they know there has been a swap due to the hours not matching? I am ignorant to this field and do not know if the ecu also has an hour log.

when you talk to Simon ask if they are upgrading the new mercury 150 4 stroke
1 month ago I put my buddy on to him, he has the Merc 150 4 stroke.  Simon said to check back in a couple of months, he was hoping to have something.  I will see.

Wild and Free,

Would they know there has been a swap due to the hours not matching? I am ignorant to this field and do not know if the ecu also has an hour log.
Your ECU does not track hours.  It does not have that type of memory or data collection

Logged Service hours would be MFG specific. I have asked on my 2007 Yamaha F150 if they could see hours and they claim no but I would think some MFG log the service hours. Even on my 05 Dodge Cummins it logs hours.

1 month ago I put my buddy on to him, he has the Merc 150 4 stroke.  Simon said to check back in a couple of months, he was hoping to have something.  I will see.
Thanks Scott 

I would think that you could really hot rod the 3L.  

FourStroke 150 EFI: Exceeding the boundaries of reliability
The mission to our engineers was: design and make the most reliable 150 hp FourStroke outboard in the industry. To do that they started with a strong 3.0L block capable of producing more than 250 hp and asked it to deliver only 150 hp. Doing so greatly increases the powerhead’s long term durability. Add to this class leading displacement engine a robust gearcase and nearly 10,000 hours of engineering and field testing, than back it all up with an industry leading limited 5-year factory backed warranty, you can see why we consider their mission accomplished.

225 HP sounds good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scott 

I would think that you could really hot rod the 3L.  

FourStroke 150 EFI: Exceeding the boundaries of reliability
The mission to our engineers was: design and make the most reliable 150 hp FourStroke outboard in the industry. To do that they started with a strong 3.0L block capable of producing more than 250 hp and asked it to deliver only 150 hp. Doing so greatly increases the powerhead’s long term durability. Add to this class leading displacement engine a robust gearcase and nearly 10,000 hours of engineering and field testing, than back it all up with an industry leading limited 5-year factory backed warranty, you can see why we consider their mission accomplished.

225 HP sounds good to me.
Damn, I didn't know that.  That would be awesome!

My 200 is only 2.8L. I wonder if there is any more left on the table in there.

Not sure what they can do for it, but this is one of the motors they list they can work on.  I just checked.

It's hard to say if you've got that much more left in your motor.  You might have improved driveability, however.

To get it your Yamaha motor to 200 hp, they essentially added more compression and a larger diameter throttle body.  And from the speeds reported, I'd say the F200 is conservatively rated.

The reason the Verado horsepower reflashing increases horsepower so much is because they're supercharged.  Remappiing ECU's seem to work best on supercharged and turbocharged motors.

It's hard to say if you've got that much more left in your motor.  You might have improved driveability, however.

To get it your Yamaha motor to 200 hp, they essentially added more compression and a larger diameter throttle body.  And from the speeds reported, I'd say the F200 is conservatively rated.

The reason the Verado horsepower reflashing increases horsepower so much is because they're supercharged.  Remappiing ECU's seem to work best on supercharged and turbocharged motors.
Also the engines in that class are all the same exact engine accept for the mapping.  So if you buy a 225, it is just a de-tuned 300, nothing else is different.

They told me 25hp on my 2.5L 150 pro xs and another 5-10 if I do the flywheel option as well.  Seriously thinking about it.  Turnaround is quick but I don't know if want to unbolt the flywheel...  The lighter / balanced flywheel might be a tale tale if I end up having issues.  Not sure on that one yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Their reply on  the 2015 3.0L 150 Mercury is that they are working on it and will put me on the list to be contacted when it is available,  

They told me 25hp on my 2.5L 150 pro xs and another 5-10 if I do the flywheel option as well.  Seriously thinking about it.  Turnaround is quick but I don't know if want to unbolt the flywheel...  The lighter / balanced flywheel might be a tale tale if I end up having issues.  Not sure on that one yet
My mistake team.  The 25hp they quoted me was with the tune AND they flywheel lightening / balancing.  Standard ECM tune was 15-20hp and 5-10hp additional for flywheel changes.  Went back through my messages from them and was mistaken on overall power increases.

FYI

Todd

Back