Slip cost.....

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I've been looking for another slip to put our boat since our friend passed away last summer. We kept our boat on her 10000 lb. lift and trex dock last year. A sweet set up! Anyway I've gotten so many different prices, set ups, waiting lists and restrictions it's not funny!!! For those of you who don't live on the water......What do you all pay to keep your boat in a slip whether it's in a marina or private home etc. etc ....???

It’s expensive on the peninsula. When we moved off the lake, we put our boat at the one not to far from you. They wanted $4000/year for a 14’ wide covered without a lift. I stayed 6 months until something else opened up. But all the on water slips on the north end are expensive. I think they are even more expensive since that marina expanded. The cheaper ones have long waiting lists. We had one to call us after 3 years on the list. It would be cheaper to buy lakefront

It’s expensive on the peninsula. When we moved off the lake, we put our boat at the one not to far from you. They wanted $4000/year for a 14’ wide covered without a lift. I stayed 6 months until something else opened up. But all the on water slips on the north end are expensive. I think they are even more expensive since that marina expanded. The cheaper ones have long waiting lists. We had one to call us after 3 years on the list. It would be cheaper to buy lakefront
Yup I know where you are talking about......Stutts marina. It's ALOT worse than $4000 now.......

Wow!! Thats a crazy cost!!
We are on a state park wet slip. Price went up this year. I think it was $725 or so. Was $634 previously. I guess we get off pretty easy price wise. Season is 4/1-10/31

We paid $2000.00 a year , 2013-2015 . Then we found a lot in a subdivision that owns a private marina across the street from the sub . All we had to pay was $425.00 a year association fees and property taxes on an undeveloped lot ,bringing the total to under $600.00 per year . That was all well and good until 2019 when my wife said we don't we build a new house there ?

We paid $2000.00 a year , 2013-2015 . Then we found a lot in a subdivision that owns a private marina across the street from the sub . All we had to pay was $425.00 a year association fees and property taxes on an undeveloped lot ,bringing the total to under $600.00 per year . That was all well and good until 2019 when my wife said we don't we build a new house there ?
We also looked for a waterfront lot. We thought we could just put a lift/slip/dock on it. The problem is lots alone are $5-600,000 on up if you can find them!!!

We also looked for a waterfront lot. We thought we could just put a lift/slip/dock on it. The problem is lots alone are $5-600,000 on up if you can find them!!!
We are not on the water ,our marina is across the street and gated .Permanent docks that the association maintains .All the perks without the waterfront taxes . :cool:
The channel at the top of the pic is our gateway to the Indian River ,Mullet Lake is North 30-35 minute ride no wake zone .Burt Lake is Southwest 35-40 minute ride no wake zone . All I need now is a boat .

1646394825334.png

I think slips at Smith Mountain Lake are going for thereabouts of $300/month, and that would be at a Marina or even if you found a private owner with availability. But there are none to be found for years unless you are very, very lucky.

I think slips at Smith Mountain Lake are going for thereabouts of $300/month, and that would be at a Marina or even if you found a private owner with availability. But there are none to be found for years unless you are very, very lucky.
Going to go look at one today that is through/past the Point. At a private home. $175 a month.

Just signed a 12-month lease on a covered slip at a marina on Norris Lake, TN for $210 a month. Lifts are purchased/installed separately by the owner. Used lifts are difficult to find so I may have to buy a new one which will cost me another $6K, but I can sell it whenever I leave the slip.

Yup I know where you are talking about......Stutts marina. It's ALOT worse than $4000 now.......
The people with ocean going vessels on Lake Norman have driven up the slip prices. That is why Stutts has the wide slips. My boat was lost in the slip I leased from them.

Hope it is decent and you can lock it in. Sounds like a great deal for where you are at. Same to everyone else that has to pay, or scramble sometimes, to get a marina slip. Hope that all falls into place for everyone as spring and summer approach.

Hearing some of these prices makes me feel slightly better about our lakeside property taxes and the notice we just got about then increasing this year. I will borrow the terminology above and just label it our “lakeside fun tax”.

Take your wallet ,that sounds like a deal .
If you only knew, Jack. To give you some perspective, the Point at Lake Norman is a private Donald Trump owned community and Country Club. There is nothing out there but the finest. I suspect the "slip" he's going to look at would be FINE !!!

When I moved to the Lake Norman area 38 years ago, nice lots were $30k and big water main channel lots were $80k. They were expensive then too, at least for someone just starting out. Strange thing is just before Covid you could get a nice lot for $3-400k. Now they have shot up to over half a million with several listed over a million. If you look on Zillow and see something for $1 million on the lake thinking it is a house, but it is a lot only. The type that was $300k a couple of years ago.

Only if I hadn’t been so scared, so dumb and so broke!

Back