Snap in Carpet

slyguy

Reaction score
Is this upgrade worth it?   Do the snaps eventually break either from the deck or from the carpet.  If you don't get this, and get carpet how expensive is it to replace it (professionally)

I have carpet and it covers the deck before the furniture ( and everything else) is installed. To have carpet replaced is big money. If I bought a new boat I would get the snap in.

Some people I know that have snap-in carpet end up just leaving it out of the boat. At that point the snaps can get in the way of your feet. We decided to just go with the full Seagrass and have no regrets.

I have regular carpet, wish I had all vinyl with snap in. At least then you HAVE the option.

Soaking wet carpet ain't fun to dry out. At least snap in you can take out and hang to dry.

Some people I know that have snap-in carpet end up just leaving it out of the boat. At that point the snaps can get in the way of your feet. We decided to just go with the full Seagrass and have no regrets.
How hot does the seagrass get?  It can get up to 115+F here in the summer.  I think (don't know for sure) that carpet is my best option.  I was told full aqua teak where we live is a no go because while its cool looking it gets very hot.  

I've seen the vinyl, its kind of ugly, especially up at the bow, kind of cheapens the look of an expensive boat.  I can see the advantages of the snap in carpet. for hosing out the interior or for going fishing.  Wish there was an option outside the playpen up at the bow.

Had full carpet on 1st Bennie, hated it.  We are a big water sport family, the carpet was always wet, and carpet near ladder was always turning green from mold.  I had to squeegee and spray distilled white vinegar to the area constantly.  Also had a hydraulic steering line blow and carpet soaked up hydraulic fluid.

Have the snap in carpet now and love it.  Only 2nd year though, so I hope the snaps hold up.  I do treat all snaps with Shurhold Snap-Stick 

I have snap in carpet with seagrass in the rear. So far so good but really only have one years use under our belt. But we do really like it.

I would not have bought my boat if it didn't have vinyl/snap in.....

I have had full carpet on my last 3 boats, never any problems (teak rear decking of course). Now that you mentioned it, I'm not sure why I never even considered the snap in carpet on this boat. Never even thought of it. Oh well, maybe on the next one! :)

I've heard many with snap in carpet say that they just never get around to snapping in the carpet.  They wish they'd not spend the extra $ for it.  The vinyls are just so durable and easy to deal with.

Snap out carpet on mine as well, love it. Would never buy another without!

Steve

Snap in here, And we noted on the Bennington order. "Snap in Mocha Palm (No Snaps) " The dealer was spot on, the factory used just a few snaps on the front edge one to two on the sides. Then we found all the unused snaps in a small bag on the boat. Full vinyl (We also fish so carpet comes out), Seagrass aft. The wife wishes we would have done full Seagrass. Surface Temps?? of flooring, Thats why we all have Bemini Tops, Second option, Water does cool the decks down .  just saying

We have vinyl and snap in carpet.  We do use the carpet most of the time as it is much nicer on the feet.  We take the carpet out for a few things though, fishing, hauling supplies to our cabin, and most often to dry the carpet out after it gets soaked.  It dries much more quickly when you can take it out and it can dry in the breeze.  We are very happy we chose this option.

Its also very easy to add them in after as they are just like the snaps on the moring cover. I went to ocean state job lot on got some cheap runners. I use double sided tape to stick them down one piece on each corner about 4"x4" this way I can easily remove clean and reapply easily.

No Snap In and never a problem similar to Derrick.

maybe it's the extended platforms on the lounger models, water runs off the back when swimming or changing life jackets/skiers?

Have a small vacuum on board that I use to sweep up.

Only bad part of the year is around the 4th and heavy skeeters and getting blood on the floor. Hand scrub and 404 protectant.

Wife didn't like the look of the snap in, so we have full carpet.  Can't say we have any problems with it, but our boat rides bow high due to the Express Tube, and much of the aft end is vinyl, so the carpet doesn't get very wet from water sports because it all runs off the back of the boat.  We just have the kids drip a minute or two a while standing on the rear deck after coming up off the ladder.  Or we have them switch life jackets.  Typically, all the tube riders will wear the same jacket and switch when we switch riders.  That way the wet jacket is always with whoever is tubing.  That helps keep water off the carpet too.  We find the carpet dries pretty fast though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back