So many boats now in storage; let's discuss hybrid cars

goldnrod24

Reaction score
My wife picked out a 2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid this week. We've been married nearly 35 years and this is the first one that's titled in just her name and the loan is all in her name, too.

The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive system in the RAV is evolved from the system found in the Prius. The major difference is that there is a 2nd electrical motor to drive the rear wheels when AWD is needed.

I was also surprised to learn that the hybrid is only 300 pounds heavier. Battery packs must be getting lighter. Also, the cost differential is between $700-$800 more than the non-hybrid. I wasn't expecting either of these.

Anyone else have a hybrid car in their stable? Thoughts?

Nope. I like burning fossil fuels. :)  

Nope. I like burning fossil fuels. :)  

Oh, there are fossil fuels to be burned. It's not a plug in electric car. And even the plug in electrics are burning fossil fuels, depending on how the electricity used is generated (like coal, for instance).

I thinking Chevy Volt, rip out the BS, stuff a LS drivetrain in er, lets go.

My wife dailies a 06 Lexus rx400h going on 175k flawless miles. This along with the Highlander was Toyotas first hybrid SUV. I have several Prius's that we work on at my shop with over 400k that have never had any issues other than 1 battery replacement. I personally don't like how hybrids drive but Momma loves it and that's all that matters.

Without starting a huge battle, I've never been a fan of "Green" vehicles. The amount of energy expended to mine the products needed, and to manufacture  the batteries/electric motors/electronics, etc..... nullify the "green" marketing.  

Now if you are just looking at it as a gas saving vehicle, yeah I'd agree with that. 

Our 2017 Explorer Sport has the 365 HP Ecoboost from the F-150. No turbo lag there.  :)   And......I really don't care about fuel mileage. When I put my foot down, I want to gooooooooooooooo.

I had access to a Tesla model S earlier this year and loved it. The power was amazing and the quiet operation was pleasing. I'd have one if they weren't so expensive and there were more super chargers available. 

I still love to hear a turbo whistle though!!! 

The Low Cost of Gas has everyone buying the gas guzzlers once again. These low prices may or may not stick around in the long term. I am guilty of purchasing a Gas Hog as well this year with 87 Octane down to 1.86/ gallon US it is easy once again. Once that price increases to 4.00/gallon US I will be hoping Hybrids and electric cars are still around. Bought the electric golf cart best move I ever made , gas was definitely not the way to go on that.

131614678.jpg

Without starting a huge battle, I've never been a fan of "Green" vehicles. The amount of energy expended to mine the products needed, and to manufacture  the batteries/electric motors/electronics, etc..... nullify the "green" marketing.  

Now if you are just looking at it as a gas saving vehicle, yeah I'd agree with that. 

Plus, you have to factor in the disposal of the batteries at some point. They are a not nearly as green as people think. I'll stick with my 15 MPG Jeep Wrangler, 20 MPG Diesel F-250, and my 25 MPG Jeep Grand Cherokee.

My wife commutes about 110 miles round trip three days a week for work.  Probably drops about 20-26k miles per year on it.  Thus, she has had a hybrid ever since taking her current position 8 years ago.  She started out with an '09 Prius.  Neat car tech wise.  My wife LOVED her cute little Prius.  I thought it had questionable looks, absolutely had cheap interior plastics, was pretty uncomfortable to me on longer trips, and was the worst handling front wheel vehicle I had ever driven in winter conditions (which we get in spades here in Michigan).  

The Prius was totaled two years ago when someone didn't stop for a school bus and re-ended her in their Ford Explorer at full speed.  Luckly she was okay (so that Prius was also safe), but we switched over to a Ford Fusion hybrid at that point.  Infinitely nicer ride, handling, drives normal in the winter, looks more sporty, and being 6 years newer, is a nice interior tech upgrade.  

That said, and as good as the mileage is in the '15 Fusion hybrid, it does not get nearly as good of mileage as my wife's old '09 Prius.  She would pull down 48-54 mpg on her commute in the Prius.  She pulls down 38-42 mpg in the Fusion hybrid. That's our two cents and experiences with hybrids.  I am sure we will always have a hybrid or future electric vehicle as one of our cars.  Heck, we need to have one to balance out my Escalade.  My Caddy will get up and go with the best of them, but it's always very thirsty.   B)

I'm still looking at the used Tesla market. I'd love a new model S P100D but also like keeping a roof over my families heads. I drive over 90 miles a day and working for a utility there are ample charging stations in the parking garage. Too bad the Model X is not to the point of replacing the Silverado when it comes to towing.

Back