So this happend to our cottage Monday evening, 2/24:

WOW!!! All involved pretty lucky. You and the sledder!

I'm definitely getting some cameras. That is a crazy story!

Good luck with everything Jeff. That guy is lucky to have survived. I hope he’s OK, too bad he has to pay a steep price for his action. Your cameras are great in that they pick up movement through glass. many do not.

As far as Trex.......the smoke ruined everything, smell is unforgiving, you need new decking. Good luck with it all!!

That is CRAZY!! Ultimately it sounds like you have a contractor you trust to do the repairs and timing wise should hopefully be done in time for boating season. It obviously could have been much worse. Hopefully the guy ends up being fine and you have a story and a half when all is said and done. It gets to the point where nothing really surprises me anymore and if everyone is OK you just shrug and move on, usually a little lighter in the wallet.

He is spare parts. He needed to drop it back about 40%. It will be new deck time at your place in the spring.

FERDA.

Holy S--t!!! Couldn't imagine being 2 hrs. away watching all of this unfold. Especially the fire getting 2 stories tall......Glad all is well. Or will be.

Might have been. I didn’t see it as I’m back down state. Which news station? I’ll see what I can pull up online.
I think it was 9 and 10 ,but it could have been 7 and 4

Wow, those cameras sure led to a good result for a horrible situation both for your home and the rider.

My first thought was, "drunk driver", does their insurance even cover him for liability? Sounds like they're working with you, so I guess the answer is yes.

Whew, what a scary drama! Hopefully all gets put back together better than ever and you're made whole.

Wow, what a story! We recently added two Nest cameras along with a Nest doorbell. I've been of the opinion that cameras don't really prevent anything but just tell you what/who happened. This sure proves that theory wrong!

It also shows that God works in mysterious ways! He gave you a VRBO neighbor that caused you so much concern you got smart-home security cameras which saved your cabin. I think He really wants you to keep that cabin!

I've been of the opinion that cameras don't really prevent anything but just tell you what/who happened. This sure proves that theory wrong!

It also shows that God works in mysterious ways! He gave you a VRBO neighbor that caused you so much concern you got smart-home security cameras which saved your cabin. I think He really wants you to keep that cabin!

Up until Monday I was the same mind as you about my camera’s Tin - wont prevent anything, but there just to find out what went wrong, unless it was a full break in. Monday just showed me you just never know.

As for your second point, thank you for sharing that thought. I had not had it. Hadn’t looked at the scope of the whole thing in that way. That “dang” VRBO I like to complain about is the only reason I added those cameras, and without that, the entire place is lost, and the young man that hit it might be worse off. Man, that’s a powerful thought you just shared!!!

that’s a powerful thought you just shared

Thanks. it took most of my life before I started to get the hint, but when I look back and connect the dots, I'm amazed at how I could miss the messages!

Both :D

Hmmm....I might just have to put something together. I had thought about putting it on the refrigerator up there, but like the framing it idea. Might take it up to Arnie’s Craft shop up there and put something together.

Update: It took SIX months to get the cottage repaired from this accident. Covid and weather were major factors as it led to many delays, as did construction material shortages. The contractor also mis-measured an area, and ordered the wrong replacement sliding doors. That then led to further delays because materials were backlogged. We had no use of the lakeside portion of the cottage or yard most of June. That was infuriating (deck tore out, yard tore out).

July and August dragged out due to continual contractor and material issues. Even the repairs led to other damage and a claim: painters caulking windows and staining new sliding doors knocked over and destroyed our 3 year old very nice 4K Samsung living room TV. The accident also scratched up the cabinet it sits on.

1E6BA070-817A-4BF3-9663-5E87F6DCA84A.jpeg EE4C3F2D-EB9D-4528-B2FB-96A6CE135F30.jpeg 3666AB43-68DF-4761-B336-5EA7B0F9A539.jpeg 2DE11FE5-EE7E-4DEA-818A-4D98093509B6.jpeg

Compounding the issue is we had $4.5k in cost overruns (many due to contractor error in measurements, replacement orders, etc...). We had been working directly with their insurer, who issued a payment settlement back in March on the original bid. They have since declined any further costs. The contractor is willing to absorb half of it, but that still leaves half dangling out there. We will now try seeking payment through restitution by the court (the drunk snowmobile driver is being prosecuted). If I don’t get all of the additional charges covered via restitution, then I’ll be taking the snowmobile driver directly to small claims court for the difference.

The driver of the snowmobile was a 19 year old who via blood test 4 hours after the accident at the hospital had a .28 BAC. Charges were filed against him back in April. His attorney is trying to work out a plea deal. There is a hearing on Sept. 14. We will see what happens there, but ideally full restitution to us for the remaining repair costs will be part of it. Hopefully we will get things wrapped up at that hearing on the criminal side of it.

Finally, since our older siding had faded after 23 years, the new siding doesn’t match it. So the predominately lake side portion of the home is a light tan, while the rest of it is the older siding and now is more cream colored. Getting bids on that for next year, but ballpark is probably $10k it reside the rest of the home. At this time, I am not sure if that will be out of our pocket OR going after the drunk snowmobile driver OR as part of filing a claim with our insurer about line of sight and home value concerns following the accident repairs. I haven’t even gotten to that point as the initial damage repairs have just been completed this week. Below is the temporary two-tone look of the place:

475236F1-3DAC-4260-A292-2969C693561B.jpeg 852C2852-2E10-4B10-8AFA-44741071BD89.jpeg EFADEE4A-C04D-4746-8884-700BE968BB17.jpeg 5807595C-9F28-4C75-AA8A-6D9FC5F4ED70.jpeg

That said, lakeside looks great again. We added our own money to upgrade to a composite deck. We are very pleased with that. Also, seeing the original siding color (due to new siding), is nice. We do like the light tan better than our faded cream looking siding. Thus, once the home is all matched up again, it will look nicer. Completed lakeside pictures below:
60BB0EE9-3E0B-4CD0-8649-7EA624472BDC.jpeg BAC5E225-2F9B-4605-9685-00255A9EFFA5.jpeg 1ADD04A5-570F-4093-8669-987F168C65EF.jpeg D12744E3-EEE3-4141-9729-2F56674F2243.jpeg C879DE3B-E8C7-4BC9-96EB-4ED982822929.jpeg E769A3E3-6329-4A9F-8D7E-D06C135B9218.jpeg 61DAFA1E-BE38-4199-AAF9-F56F981CB176.jpeg 9EC212BD-5FAD-439C-B419-F8B277AE71CD.jpeg

Wow, what a PITA for you. I think you have kept your cool much better than me. By the way, your contractor should pony up for cost overruns due to any of his errors, and his insurance should cover ALL the TV cost issues, including any damages caused by it falling.

Back