Southern Hospitality

gerry

Reaction score
You southern guys (SteveL - Lake Ocononee Guy - Stanley) realize you are driving us northerners crazy with your neat pics don't you? Just kidding. Keep those pics coming. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
You southern guys (SteveL - Lake Ocononee Guy - Stanley) realize you are driving us northerners crazy with your neat pics don't you? Just kidding. Keep those pics coming. Gerry
Well you could come visit! We are in the high 80s, low 90s all week, guess I'll have to take a day off and go boating again :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Steve

Sheesh Gerry, you wanna talk northerners, come on up here to Canada! My lake still had some ice on it about a week and a half ago! They aren't even thinking about putting docks in yet, which is OK since my boat is supposed to start building today! If anybody is taking a tour this week, snap me some pics of the Crimson Red 2275RCW ESP with baja graphics please!! Haha

Derrick

Sheesh Gerry, you wanna talk northerners, come on up here to Canada! My lake still had some ice on it about a week and a half ago! They aren't even thinking about putting docks in yet, which is OK since my boat is supposed to start building today! If anybody is taking a tour this week, snap me some pics of the Crimson Red 2275RCW ESP with baja graphics please!! Haha

Derrick
Here in East TN we have had our new Bennington 3 weeks and put 11 hours on it. 4 this past weekend. Mid 80s. B) Had it up to 30 mph so far, some throttle left. Does some major hole shots and slices through 1 foot waves.

Can we rub it in some more? ;)

We are now ready for our 20 hour service. Our next outing will be up the lake to our dealer (they are lakeside). They also have a seafood restaurant right next door. While our Bennie gets the 20 hour check we will be over at the restaurant having a good meal. Then we jump back in the Bennie for a slow evening cruise home with some mood lighting and a bottle of wine B)

Life is tough in the South but someone has to do it :rolleyes:

Steve

Can we rub it in some more? ;)

We are now ready for our 20 hour service. Our next outing will be up the lake to our dealer (they are lakeside). They also have a seafood restaurant right next door. While our Bennie gets the 20 hour check we will be over at the restaurant having a good meal. Then we jump back in the Bennie for a slow evening cruise home with some mood lighting and a bottle of wine B)

Life is tough in the South but someone has to do it :rolleyes:

Steve
What the heck, the knife is already in there, might as well twist it a little bit!!! Haha

Derrick

:p Hope the restaurants closed for remodeling Derrick. :rolleyes: LOL Gerry

What the heck, the knife is already in there, might as well twist it a little bit!!! Haha
85F here in East TN today. Maybe I'll drive the 3 minutes to the Tellico Yachtclub where the Bennington is slipped, grab an Angus burger and and a cold Shiner and jump on the Bennington for a sunset cruise. :lol:

Let's Twist Again...

85F here in East TN today. Maybe I'll drive the 3 minutes to the Tellico Yachtclub where the Bennington is slipped, grab an Angus burger and and a cold Shiner and jump on the Bennington for a sunset cruise. :lol:

Let's Twist Again...
I can be there in 5 1/2 hrs !!! B)

Let's Twist Again...
I can be there in 10 minutes :D

Give me a couple days! If I leave now, take the number 10 through the park........ahhh forget it! I'll go sulk in the corner with a Gibson's Finest rye and coke, by myself! Leave me ALONE, I'm NEVER talking to ANY of you AGAIN!

Gimme two minutes and I'll stop hyperventilating and be okay!Haha

Derrick

Yesir, curently 87 degree's and very sunny so an evening cruise is in order.

Twist away.

Yesir, curently 87 degree's and very sunny so an evening cruise is in order.

Twist away.
I thought you Texas guys were okay. I was in San Antonio last weekend and loved it. Really liked the little bar in the Menger Hotel

I earned my time in the south after working in CT for several years... (One of which had 145 inches of snow!) I was born in the south and I'm very happy to have retired in the south... But do have to say that we met some mighty fine yankees when lived up that way!

Only consolation for those up in the North... Come August when it's 95 degrees with 100% humidity here in GA you'll be enjoying a much more pleasant time out on the water than we are!

Just got off the lake about 30 minutes ago. Great sunset and a clear night with temp around 83 when we arrived back to our dock. Little red wine for the wife and a single malt scotch for myself.

"Oh what a night"...

Steve

PS: I do hear the restaurant isn't very good, but I'll never tell.

Just got mine out of storage today. Now to start the toon polishing project. Going to put the new prop on in the morning too.

We moved to Alabama to retire young, and there are 3 Robert Trent Golf Courses on the lake within 1 mile of home. The average lake house built in recent years is about 5500 square ft., and neighbors' houses run as large as 9028 square feet. There's a new 28,000 square foot house down the lake with a 2 acre swimming pool. 40-50' boats in boathouses slung out of the water are common. We can throw rocks into the water from our front door. We have a beautiful 5 mile sunset view, and it's like living on the ocean.

Alabama property taxes are extremely low, and building costs in the south remain very reasonable. Property taxes on a 3,000 square foot lake house would be about $1,200. If either owner is disabled, property taxes are waived. Other southern states' property taxes are higher, but just a small percentage of houses in many northern states.

Just know that there are other great places to live with a very high quality of life--for a reasonable price. And, it's not in Florida. Almost every southern state has 6-8 great lakes, many of which are close to major cities. And virtually every southern lake has great fishing. Recreational boating is fantastic, and the boating season is long.

Come on down to visit! You might not want to go back.

We moved to Alabama to retire young, and there are 3 Robert Trent Golf Courses on the lake within 1 mile of home. The average lake house built in recent years is about 5500 square ft., and neighbors' houses run as large as 9028 square feet. There's a new 28,000 square foot house down the lake with a 2 acre swimming pool. 40-50' boats in boathouses slung out of the water are common. We can throw rocks into the water from our front door. We have a beautiful 5 mile sunset view, and it's like living on the ocean.

Alabama property taxes are extremely low, and building costs in the south remain very reasonable. Property taxes on a 3,000 square foot lake house would be about $1,200. If either owner is disabled, property taxes are waived. Other southern states' property taxes are higher, but just a small percentage of houses in many northern states.

Just know that there are other great places to live with a very high quality of life--for a reasonable price. And, it's not in Florida. Almost every southern state has 6-8 great lakes, many of which are close to major cities. And virtually every southern lake has great fishing. Recreational boating is fantastic, and the boating season is long.

Come on down to visit! You might not want to go back.
Well Dang Bamaman, you got me wanting to move!!Haha I guess in about 30 years when I might actually be able to afford to retire,I know where to start looking!

Derrick

Alabama property taxes are extremely low, and building costs in the south remain very reasonable. Property taxes on a 3,000 square foot lake house would be about $1,200......Other southern states' property taxes are higher, but just a small percentage of houses in many northern states.
We have a 3,000 sq/ft house with 260 feet of water front, we are as close to the city as it gets when living on the lake. Lake Murray has 649 miles of shore line. Our property tax last year was just over 2k.

You have to love the South!

Steve

We can get a really nice 4 bedroom double car garage all brick house off the lake for about $140,000--sometimes less. Property taxes are $500 on that size house.

Superior lakefront property is about $250 per front foot, so a 100' lot is $250K. Livable houses on the water start @ $350K, but for $550K you've got a palace. And with boathouses and seawalls at your front door, it's really nice. The lake is 16,000 acres, 15 miles long and about 1 1/2 miles of deep water wide. Fishing is superior, and this place is really a secret--even with 140,000 people in the two counties. We have 3 lakes within 15 miles, and the river is navigable.

Residents can play all the golf they can for $1,300 per year on the RTC Golf Courses including cart. It's just a great place to retire too.

Back