Southern Hospitality

We can get a really nice 4 bedroom double car garage all brick house off the lake for about $140,000--sometimes less. Property taxes are $500 on that size house.

Superior lakefront property is about $250 per front foot, so a 100' lot is $250K. Livable houses on the water start @ $350K, but for $550K you've got a palace. And with boathouses and seawalls at your front door, it's really nice. The lake is 16,000 acres, 15 miles long and about 1 1/2 miles of deep water wide. Fishing is superior, and this place is really a secret--even with 140,000 people in the two counties. We have 3 lakes within 15 miles, and the river is navigable.

Residents can play all the golf they can for $1,300 per year on the RTC Golf Courses including cart. It's just a great place to retire to.

We can get a really nice 4 bedroom double car garage all brick house off the lake for about $140,000--sometimes less. Property taxes are $500 on that size house.

Superior lakefront property is about $250 per front foot, so a 100' lot is $250K. Livable houses on the water start @ $350K, but for $550K you've got a palace. And with boathouses and seawalls at your front door, it's really nice. The lake is 16,000 acres, 15 miles long and about 1 1/2 miles of deep water wide. Fishing is superior, and this place is really a secret--even with 140,000 people in the two counties. We have 3 lakes within 15 miles, and the river is navigable.

Residents can play all the golf they can for $1,300 per year on the RTC Golf Courses including cart. It's just a great place to retire to.

The only thing I miss about FL is the cruise from tarpon springs to Clearwater Pass and a grouper sandwich at Frenchy's Rockaway.

We miss Traverse City, MI 3 months of the year when on one weekend a month we had nice boating.

We really like east TN. Best of many worlds.

Boat slip $500 per year. Boat in year around. Boating season march through November. Bennington in the slip.

3900 ft sq house with water view taxes 1200. Insurance about the same. No State income tax. Car insurance $500 per year.

We just refinanced and the value has gone up over the prior seven years!!

We go on vacation and wonder why we left, although we can be in Estes Park in pretty short order which is a nice respite in August.

Bastion of conservative values.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on East Tennessee. When you go east of Nashville, it just gets more beautiful the farther you go.

You have to go a ways to find finer lakes than:

Center Hill--65 miles east of Nashville--Where the country music stars hang out.

Dale Hollow--north of Cookeville on the KY state line--Maybe the premier lake anywhere.

Norris Lake--1/2 hr. north of Knoxville--Absolutely fantastic place when @ Summer Pool.

Douglas Lake--1/2 hr east of Knoxville--front door to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains

And, the whole navigable Tennessee River system in East TN:

Ft. Loudon Lake

Tellico Lake

Watts Bar Lake

Chickamauga Lake

While I may not like their football team, I especially love the people of East Tennessee. Believe it or not, but hillbillies still exist. It's one of those places you really don't have to lock the doors to your house.

I'm with you on East Tennessee. When you go east of Nashville, it just gets more beautiful the farther you go.

You have to go a ways to find finer lakes than:

Center Hill--65 miles east of Nashville--Where the country music stars hang out.

Dale Hollow--north of Cookeville on the KY state line--Maybe the premier lake anywhere.

Norris Lake--1/2 hr. north of Knoxville--Absolutely fantastic place when @ Summer Pool.

Douglas Lake--1/2 hr east of Knoxville--front door to Gatlinburg and the Smokey Mountains

And, the whole navigable Tennessee River system in East TN:

Ft. Loudon Lake

Tellico Lake

Watts Bar Lake

Chickamauga Lake

While I may not like their football team, I especially love the people of East Tennessee. Believe it or not, but hillbillies still exist. It's one of those places you really don't have to lock the doors to your house.

There is Fontana, Watauga, S Holston too. Fontana surrounded by Smokies and Nantahala NF is my favorite and you get to drive the Tail of the Dragon as an added bonus!!

My brother in law and I are headed forWatauga in a couple weeks. We take our Achilles inflatables, some beers and go lake exploring at 10 mph. Taking his motor home to Butler TN. What fun.

Smokey: Can you imagine having to tow a pontoon boat through the Tail of the Dragon up to Fontana Village? 318 turns in 11 miles has forced North Carolina to ban trucks and trailers longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line.

I guess that blows that.

I especially like Hiawassee, GA, which is on islands in the middle of the Lake Chatuge--another TVA lake. It's about 10 miles south of the NC Border in NE GA. Other closeby TVA lakes are Blue Ridge Lake and Lake Nottley--both of which are not nearly as nice as Chatuge. The mountain scenery is breathtaking around Hiawassee and Blairsville, GA.

So many of the lakes in the really big mountains are for storing water and flood control. Fontana might be 200-300' below max pool at some times. Some lakes never see their maximum, normal pool level.

Back