Tank will not take gas

K C

Reaction score
this is weird. We pulled into marina to purchase fuel and cannot get any in the tank. It’s a 2018 SX21 with 115 Yamaha. The fella at the marina says the bulb is leaking also. Anybody have this kind of problem?

I had a similar problem when I put stabil into the tank with no gas!
Had to pull the fuel line and blow out the oil! It had blocked the line!

I had a similar problem when I put stabil into the tank with no gas!
Had to pull the fuel line and blow out the oil! It had blocked the line!
I run seafoam but haven’t added it to an empty tank. The motor runs fine, just cannot put gas in the tank.

Sometimes the fuel inlet hose “might” have a kink or a “p trap” bend in it that can cause this issue. Check your inlet lines. Sometimes it’s certain fuel nozzles. Try turning the fuel nozzle 90 or 180 degrees to see if that helps. If you search the threads you’ll find this isn’t common per se, but has come up a few times.

Thanks for all the input. It seems I have a venting problem. If I remove the “flapper” I can add fuel with no problem. Looks like tank pressure got high enough the flapper would not open.

I had the exact same problem. If the flapper isnt moving , the tank isnt venting. And in my case , the vent line was actually jammed into an aluminum cross member under the floor instead of venting to atmosphere sucking up lake water in the process. Our systems do not have return lines so they either vent or they create vacuum when the engine uses fuel and the tank cant vent. Or build pressure if it cant vent when you fill it or it sits in the sun for example.

I took my flapper out too and it was a partial fix. Before , all i could get was a few ounces of fuel in at a time but the tank is venting out the filler so eventually it will blow gas out at you. Id suggest checking out the vent line and charcoal filter for starters to make sure they arent plugged. After I fixed mine I can fill as fast as the pumps can pump.

I'm not sure if they are still using the same venting system but I had the same problem with my 2016 G-Series. Two of the venting hoses were crossed from the factory. See this post: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/enviro-fill-fuel-system.6051/#post-79731

Filling the boat was problem 'A'. Problem 'B' came after I fixed it. The engine shut off about 30 minutes after leaving the dock. The primer ball was completely squeezed in. It appeared the system had stopped venting. I removed the hose from the vent valve body then blew into it, flushing a slug through the carbon canister and into atmosphere (out bottom of boat). This fixed the problem 'B'.

I had no more issues the rest of the 2016 season and into 2017. Being technically savvy and curious about the venting issue, I 'topped off' the tank after fueling it and had the same venting issue (engine shut off). It seems to me that if you 'top off' the tank when fueling, then fuel will divert to the carbon canister causing an air lock.

Back