Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

sjhorner9475

Reaction score
I love the SimTex fabric and clean up is easy ! 2021 24LSB
Agree with Dewzee1! We love the SimTex and have found that plain water will clean most everything. We routinely clean our boat 2 - 3 times a year and use plain water on the seats. As soon as we find the bucket of water starting to get dirty we refresh it.

Chris13104

Reaction score
I would not have done white panels with the blackout package. It looked awesome the first month but the powder coating on those blacked out rails causes light streaks on the white panels. I’ve tried every chemical concoction I can find and can’t remove them completely, drives me crazy as other than that, it looks the same as it did in the showroom.

Jack M

Reaction score
I get black streaks on my bow after a rain. Comes off with wax . Still a PIA .

BigKahuna

Reaction score
I would not have done white panels with the blackout package. It looked awesome the first month but the powder coating on those blacked out rails causes light streaks on the white panels. I’ve tried every chemical concoction I can find and can’t remove them completely, drives me crazy as other than that, it looks the same as it did in the showroom.
I've noticed over the years the black streaks come off easier if you have several coats of wax in the panels. Also if you keep your mooring cover clean (I know it's hard) the streaks don't run down as much. Lastly, I've used an RV Black Streak remover that works well. I believe Camco is the brand.

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
Have you tried RV Black Streak Remover? I think it’s more from your mooring cover than the blackout. I’ve had blackout 5 years now and I‘m 99.9% sure it’s not my rails, it’s my cover.

sunedog

Reaction score
Have you tried RV Black Streak Remover? I think it’s more from your mooring cover than the blackout. I’ve had blackout 5 years now and I‘m 99.9% sure it’s not my rails, it’s my cover.
Do you have snaps or clips on your mooring cover?

One source for black streaks is rain dripping off the snaps on the mooring cover onto the side rails. The streaks were very distinct on my 2001 boat. Apparently there is some sort of chemical reaction between the metal in the snaps and the rain and the side panels.

If you ever have a new custom cover made (and need snaps), have the canvas shop add about a 2" wide X length of your side panel strip on to length of the cover to shield the snaps from rain. That will eliminate those type of black streaks on your side panels.

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
Do you have snaps or clips on your mooring cover?

One source for black streaks is rain dripping off the snaps on the mooring cover onto the side rails. The streaks were very distinct on my 2001 boat. Apparently there is some sort of chemical reaction between the metal in the snaps and the rain and the side panels.

If you ever have a new custom cover made (and need snaps), have the canvas shop add about a 2" wide X length of your side panel strip on to length of the cover to shield the snaps from rain. That will eliminate those type of black streaks on your side panels.
BigKahuna just posted a video of the Detroit Boat Show - LX Sport - it appears they are using snaps again for the mooring cover!!!?

Chris13104

Reaction score
I've noticed over the years the black streaks come off easier if you have several coats of wax in the panels. Also if you keep your mooring cover clean (I know it's hard) the streaks don't run down as much. Lastly, I've used an RV Black Streak remover that works well. I believe Camco is the brand.
I didn’t even think about the possibility of the streaks coming from the mooring cover…..and it’s black so that would make much more sense than the powder coming off the rails.

Chris13104

Reaction score
BigKahuna just posted a video of the Detroit Boat Show - LX Sport - it appears they are using snaps again for the mooring cover!!!?
I’ve got the plastic J style clips that slide in the slot on the rail. I had totally missed the fact that it was probably the mooring cover. I feel stupid now….I should have run it through a few cycles in a washer before using it, the streaks won’t come out. They aren’t bad, I’m sure nobody sees them but me. But I’m a PITA about keeping the boat clean so it bugs me.