Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

I love the SimTex fabric and clean up is easy ! 2021 24LSB
Agree with Dewzee1! We love the SimTex and have found that plain water will clean most everything. We routinely clean our boat 2 - 3 times a year and use plain water on the seats. As soon as we find the bucket of water starting to get dirty we refresh it.

I would not have done white panels with the blackout package. It looked awesome the first month but the powder coating on those blacked out rails causes light streaks on the white panels. I’ve tried every chemical concoction I can find and can’t remove them completely, drives me crazy as other than that, it looks the same as it did in the showroom.

Would or could that be a warranty issue?

I get black streaks on my bow after a rain. Comes off with wax . Still a PIA .

I would not have done white panels with the blackout package. It looked awesome the first month but the powder coating on those blacked out rails causes light streaks on the white panels. I’ve tried every chemical concoction I can find and can’t remove them completely, drives me crazy as other than that, it looks the same as it did in the showroom.
I've noticed over the years the black streaks come off easier if you have several coats of wax in the panels. Also if you keep your mooring cover clean (I know it's hard) the streaks don't run down as much. Lastly, I've used an RV Black Streak remover that works well. I believe Camco is the brand.

Have you tried RV Black Streak Remover? I think it’s more from your mooring cover than the blackout. I’ve had blackout 5 years now and I‘m 99.9% sure it’s not my rails, it’s my cover.

Have you tried RV Black Streak Remover? I think it’s more from your mooring cover than the blackout. I’ve had blackout 5 years now and I‘m 99.9% sure it’s not my rails, it’s my cover.
Do you have snaps or clips on your mooring cover?

One source for black streaks is rain dripping off the snaps on the mooring cover onto the side rails. The streaks were very distinct on my 2001 boat. Apparently there is some sort of chemical reaction between the metal in the snaps and the rain and the side panels.

If you ever have a new custom cover made (and need snaps), have the canvas shop add about a 2" wide X length of your side panel strip on to length of the cover to shield the snaps from rain. That will eliminate those type of black streaks on your side panels.

Do you have snaps or clips on your mooring cover?

One source for black streaks is rain dripping off the snaps on the mooring cover onto the side rails. The streaks were very distinct on my 2001 boat. Apparently there is some sort of chemical reaction between the metal in the snaps and the rain and the side panels.

If you ever have a new custom cover made (and need snaps), have the canvas shop add about a 2" wide X length of your side panel strip on to length of the cover to shield the snaps from rain. That will eliminate those type of black streaks on your side panels.
BigKahuna just posted a video of the Detroit Boat Show - LX Sport - it appears they are using snaps again for the mooring cover!!!?

I've noticed over the years the black streaks come off easier if you have several coats of wax in the panels. Also if you keep your mooring cover clean (I know it's hard) the streaks don't run down as much. Lastly, I've used an RV Black Streak remover that works well. I believe Camco is the brand.
I didn’t even think about the possibility of the streaks coming from the mooring cover…..and it’s black so that would make much more sense than the powder coming off the rails.

BigKahuna just posted a video of the Detroit Boat Show - LX Sport - it appears they are using snaps again for the mooring cover!!!?
I’ve got the plastic J style clips that slide in the slot on the rail. I had totally missed the fact that it was probably the mooring cover. I feel stupid now….I should have run it through a few cycles in a washer before using it, the streaks won’t come out. They aren’t bad, I’m sure nobody sees them but me. But I’m a PITA about keeping the boat clean so it bugs me.

Looking at one with the 150hp and salesman says it goes “40 mph” but online I see only about 28mph. Price almost doubles with the ones they chose to put the 200hp on. Are 150’s sufficient on a 22’ Benny

Unable to compute. missing inputs... ;)

we need to know more about which 22'? how many logs, what pacakage (SPS, ESP, etc.) how many folks are you generally taking out. what are your intended uses (fishing? watersports, daytripping, etc.) where are you boating(offshore, inshore, lakes, what lake)...

give some help and you'll get some better answers.

as written, 9.9 is enough.... :rolleyes:
and a 22' with any toon config won't hit 40+ with a 150

Unable to compute. missing inputs... ;)

we need to know more about which 22'? how many logs, what pacakage (SPS, ESP, etc.) how many folks are you generally taking out. what are your intended uses (fishing? watersports, daytripping, etc.) where are you boating(offshore, inshore, lakes, what lake)...

give some help and you'll get some better answers.

as written, 9.9 is enough.... :rolleyes:
and a 22' with any toon config won't hit 40+ with a 150
22’ tritoon still shopping series. Eighty percent of the time it is 2-4 people and once in a while pull a tuber. Lake Pend Oreille is a very long lake and our current pontoon with a 115 is too pokey. Bummed salesman would say “40 mph” when my gut said no. So looking to figure out truth of horse power.

22’ tritoon still shopping series. Eighty percent of the time it is 2-4 people and once in a while pull a tuber. Lake Pend Oreille is a very long lake and our current pontoon with a 115 is too pokey. Bummed salesman would say “40 mph” when my gut said no. So looking to figure out truth of horse power.

thanks for the extra info. I don't know that lake, but with your other factors I would have likely said a 115 is enough, a 150 would be a splurge, and while not necessary, a nice upgrade. Your comment about the 115 on your current boat being pokey tells me that you'll likely be underwhelmed by the 150. You should probably be looking at 200+. Keep in mind the fuel burn that goes with it will hurt, and from the quick wikipedia lookup i did, you won't have a lot of places to fuel up. I'd heavily prioritize an upgraded fuel tank (50ish vs. 32 gallon). that will likely push you to more expensive builds that are tri-toons, but probably worth it instead of hauling around Jerry cans..

I have a 24' LSB with the SPS+ hull, and VMax 250. I thought it was going to be way overkill, but honestly, that big a motor lets me cruise comfortably with a lot of folk onboard and without the motor working hard in the low 20's. I think that's more comfortable than a smaller motor running closer to WOT to cruise at the same speed. The cost is the motor is a lot more expensive though...

good luck, and you'll get more opinions here with more experience than mine!

I had a 150 on a 2014 23 ft RCW SA . I was able to hit 35-38 ,Full Tank, 2 adults and clean toons

thanks for the extra info. I don't know that lake, but with your other factors I would have likely said a 115 is enough, a 150 would be a splurge, and while not necessary, a nice upgrade. Your comment about the 115 on your current boat being pokey tells me that you'll likely be underwhelmed by the 150. You should probably be looking at 200+. Keep in mind the fuel burn that goes with it will hurt, and from the quick wikipedia lookup i did, you won't have a lot of places to fuel up. I'd heavily prioritize an upgraded fuel tank (50ish vs. 32 gallon). that will likely push you to more expensive builds that are tri-toons, but probably worth it instead of hauling around Jerry cans..

I have a 24' LSB with the SPS+ hull, and VMax 250. I thought it was going to be way overkill, but honestly, that big a motor lets me cruise comfortably with a lot of folk onboard and without the motor working hard in the low 20's. I think that's more comfortable than a smaller motor running closer to WOT to cruise at the same speed. The cost is the motor is a lot more expensive though...

good luck, and you'll get more opinions here with more experience than mine!
I put a 250 on my 2022 QCW . The "list" price for the motor was more than I paid for for my 2013 22 SLX . And yes they do burn some fuel ,at WOT 28 GPH on mine .

A 22’ Bennington with SPS tritoon hull and a 150Hp motor should be hitting high 30’s with no real issues if properly propped. Over 40, doubtful. More predictably, 35-38 with a decent crew & gear on board and gassed up. And as others stated, it’ll drink some gas pretty quickly if hitting the throttle hard with a good size crew and gear on board.

For reference, I have a 24’ SPS hull, 200 Merc Verado Pro. Before sea legs, I topped out at 43-44 mph in perfect conditions, 2 people, 1/3 tank of gas. 38-40 with normal load of people & gear with a full tank of gas. After adding Sea Legs, 42 perfect conditions light load, and 35-38 with larger load of people, gear and gas.

A lot depends on which series Bennington you have. I have a Yamaha 115 on my R and I get to about 26. My friend has a 150 on an S and he has his toons looking like mirrors and he does hit 40

22LSR SPS package with 2 people, 175hp SHO, I can hit 40 WOT. With 1 person, doors open, trimmed perfect, light on gas, 43mph

Back