Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

Oh man that's a really good one!  

When PADS sets in, just cut a notch in the door.  Or leave it open.

Measure once, cut twice.  It's the opposite of measure twice, cut once.  Means the same, but seems more appropriate in your case. Or in your case, measure "nonce", cut twice.  Sorry!  Thanks for sharing that. Good to know there are others like me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man that's a really good one!  

When PADS sets in, just cut a notch in the door.  Or leave it open.

Measure once, cut twice.  It's the opposite of measure twice, cut once.  Means the same, but seems more appropriate in your case. Or in your case, measure "nonce", cut twice.  Sorry!  Thanks for sharing that. Good to know there are others like me...

No PADS for me, I'm just afraid the 21' won't fit, let alone something longer! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The funny thing is, I obsessed over the size of the door opening, worried about making it too low to clear the boat when on a trailer to the point I made the opening 10'-4'' tall (x 12' wide)

My original plan was to get a 20' Benny to help insure it would fit, but the benefits of the 21' were too great to ignore, especially the extra door on the starboard side. I may try to get a trailer with a hinged tongue, and if I remove the big window on the back wall, I can stick the Yamaha out thru and build a box around it :rolleyes:

No PADS for me, I'm just afraid the 21' won't fit, let along something longer! I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The funny thing is, I obsessed over the size of the door opening, worried about making it too low to clear the boat when on a trailer to the point I made the opening 10'-4'' tall (x 12' wide)

My original plan was to get a 20' Benny to help insure it would fit, but the benefits of the 21' were too great to ignore, especially the extra door on the starboard side. I may try to get a trailer with a hinged tongue, and if I remove the big window on the back wall, I can stick the Yamaha out thru and build a box around it :rolleyes:

I wish I'd bought the swing-away tongue for my trailer. At the time I didn't know it was even available, but the cost difference from the factory was not much. My pole barn is 28x36, but it's actually not quite 36 inside so the trailer fits, but the Bennington with motor and trailer does NOT, argh! The tongue can be retrofitted later but it's not cheap to do that way, needs to be painted, etc.

A little surprised at that price as I bought the swing-away tongue at the time I purchased and it was an upcharge of $250

Yeah, I knew about the kits. There is just something about taking a sawzall to my trailer that gives me the willies. My trailer shop said no problem, but it's several hours labor for all the steps.

I wish I'd bought the swing-away tongue for my trailer. At the time I didn't know it was even available, but the cost difference from the factory was not much. My pole barn is 28x36, but it's actually not quite 36 inside so the trailer fits, but the Bennington with motor and trailer does NOT, argh! The tongue can be retrofitted later but it's not cheap to do that way, needs to be painted, etc.

The inside of your pole barn is 36' and you still can't get your boat and trailer in there? How long is your boat?

The inside of your pole barn is 36' and you still can't get your boat and trailer in there? How long is your boat?

2275RCW which is really ~24' LOA plus 3-4' for the engine, then trailer tongue, it's ~36' stem to stern.

I built a 30X40, neighbor told me it wasn't big enough, he was right, he should know he has a 30X40.  Lets see, 22' boat measures out  to 23', engine hangs out another 2-3', tongue sticks out another 3-4', so, basically 29-30' real world LOA.  When I had the bow-rider, my boat, truck and camper all fit, tight but they fit.  As well as ZTR, QUAD, Logsplitter, etc etc etc.  Now, well camper is relegated to outside in season.  I got roll around dollys for boat and push Benni to wall, Benni, camper and truck fit over winter.  Camper is a 21' hybrid, pics in gallery.  Funny thing is, in the barn, you realize how freaking big these boats are. My camper is envious, truck is happy it gets to stay in year round, Benni is a spoiled little bitch.     

2275RCW which is really ~24' LOA plus 3-4' for the engine, then trailer tongue, it's ~36' stem to

Do you have a bunk type trailer or scissor type that can put the boat down on the ground & pulled out from under it? Mine is the bunk type, quite a bit shorter than the scissor type, I believe.

I built a 30X40, neighbor told me it wasn't big enough, he was right, he should know he has a 30X40.  Lets see, 22' boat measures out  to 23', engine hangs out another 2-3', tongue sticks out another 3-4', so, basically 29-30' real world LOA.  When I had the bow-rider, my boat, truck and camper all fit, tight but they fit.  As well as ZTR, QUAD, Logsplitter, etc etc etc.  Now, well camper is relegated to outside in season.  I got roll around dollys for boat and push Benni to wall, Benni, camper and truck fit over winter.  Camper is a 21' hybrid, pics in gallery.  Funny thing is, in the barn, you realize how freaking big these boats are. My camper is envious, truck is happy it gets to stay in year round, Benni is a spoiled little bitch.     

It looks like I might have to find a place in town to store my 21SFX, although if I weld a trailer ball on my tractor bucket & rent a scissor tyoe trailer, I might be able finesse it into the barn & set it on blocks. When I retire in a couple years, I'm going to buy a house in the area & have storage for it there so I can tinker with it over the winter.

Do you have a bunk type trailer or scissor type that can put the boat down on the ground & pulled out from under it? Mine is the bunk type, quite a bit shorter than the scissor type, I believe.

/gallery/album_221/gallery_1431_221_8766.jpg/gallery/album_221/gallery_1431_221_9458.jpg

Wow, beastly looking trailer, TomS! Mine will be a single axle so hoping it will run short and I'll be able to put a swing-away or just detachable tongue. I have access to tools, welding equipment and such

In any case, if my 21SAFX doesn't fit, I'll take pix and fess up to the forum by posting them. 

Wow, beastly looking trailer, TomS! Mine will be a single axle so hoping it will run short and I'll be able to put a swing-away or just detachable tongue. I have access to tools, welding equipment and such

In any case, if my 21SAFX doesn't fit, I'll take pix and fess up to the forum by posting them. 

You'll most likely get some to say that the single axle trailer will make your life miserable on the road, but that's what I have for my lightweight 20SLX, and I've had absolutely no problems with it on the road. It pulls great, and I've pulled it with our F-250 PSD and the Grand Cherokee Overland (which is way shorter than the 250). I got no bothersome sway at highway speeds. So far, I've pulled it around 2000 miles on the highway. 

Don't go with drum brakes as the salt water will eat them alive. I would imagine the big aluminum trailers have disc brakes for those conditions.

What about trailer brakes? My dealer is saying not to get them as they don't mix with salt water.

No matter what dealer says, check laws. In our state, over certain weight or axle count, it MUST have breaks. 

You'll most likely get some to say that the single axle trailer will make your life miserable on the road, but that's what I have for my lightweight 20SLX, and I've had absolutely no problems with it on the road. It pulls great, and I've pulled it with our F-250 PSD and the Grand Cherokee Overland (which is way shorter than the 250). I got no bothersome sway at highway speeds. So far, I've pulled it around 2000 miles on the highway. 

Does your trailer have brakes, Spoiledrotten? I'm not sure whether mine will or not but except for having to haul it on a 140 mile round trip to the dealer for its first service, I don't plan on going real far with it. My "home" lake is 5400 acres and if that doesn't keep me interested, its a 2 mile haul to an interconnected group of lakes that total over 24,000 acres.

My boat is coming with the trailer, but thinking I might be able to upgrade to a tandem axle. The dealer told me my 21SFX was near the weight limit for that particular trailer.

Back