Todays lesson is ....... Check in for good info ....

Did you realize......... I see people all the time (especially rentals) on our lake with kids (and adults) sitting on the bow with their feet dangling in the water while moving. Our lake pontoons average 10 mph but many toons may average 20 mph easily. 

If they were to catch a wake and get pulled off, at 20 mph the boat will travel 29.3 feet IN ONE SECOND. GUESS WHERE THEY ARE ...... UNDER THE PROP!!!!!  (105,600 feet hr/3600 seconds=29.3') 

Read the statistics here. Don't be a statistic !!!!

http://www.propellersafety.com/propeller-accident-statistics/

At an appx. 3300 prop rpm (average engine speed 5500 rpm) the prop spins 33 times in a second or 3.3 times in a tenth of a second. With a 3 blade prop that's 10 strikes of a blade in 1/10 second!! Think of the damage that would do to someone's body, head, etc.... the next time you allow this or see this happening......

Last edited by a moderator:
Semp, we see it all the time and we cringe thinking about the consequences. We've seen both adults and kids sitting up front w/their legs dangling over the edge while underway. We've also see them on the sun pad traveling at speed..... People don't realize what they're doing.

This is the best demonstration I've seen to show what happens to an improperly loaded trailer. Remember when you boat is full of fuel, you put the anchor behind the axle along with a giant cooler full of ice, etc. you are changing the load of your trailer.

Happy towing!

The video

Steve

Bump up for new owners to read. 

This was mentioned a few posts back, but to expand on it slightly:

When you're anchored, and it's time to go DON'T UNTIE THE ANCHOR FROM THE CLEAT until you've got the anchor back safely in the boat.

I told the BIL to get ready to pull the anchor.  He didn't get the "get ready to" part.  We were anchored in a pretty strong current.  He untied the anchor line from the cleat before I was ready, and it started whizzing through his hands.  He had about 25' left when he said "Hey, I got a problem here!".  Off went my new $200 Fortress FX-11 anchor to the bottom of the Gulf.

Last edited by a moderator:

When you're anchored, and it's time to go DON'T UNTIE THE ANCHOR FROM THE CLEAT until you've got the anchor back safely in the boat.

I told the BIL to get ready to pull the anchor.  He didn't get the "get ready to" part.  We were anchored in a pretty strong current.  He untied the anchor line from the cleat before I was ready, and it started whizzing through his hands.  He had about 25' left when he said "Hey, I got a problem here!".  Off went my new $200 Fortress FX-11 anchor to the bottom of the Gulf.

Yikes! 

Sounds like tying some sort of float to the end of the line would solve this. That sucks.

Sounds like tying some sort of float to the end of the line would solve this. That sucks.

The anchor line is on a 150' spool of rode, so I'd have to completely un-spool all 150' feet, tie the float to the end of the rode, then re-spool it again.

Much easier to just smack the BIL and get Rest Of Life humor at his expense LOL.

Since there’s a ton of new owners, time for a “bump n read”.

Did you realize......... I see people all the time (especially rentals) on our lake with kids (and adults) sitting on the bow with their feet dangling in the water while moving. Our lake pontoons average 10 mph but many toons may average 20 mph easily.

If they were to catch a wake and get pulled off, at 20 mph the boat will travel 29.3 feet IN ONE SECOND. GUESS WHERE THEY ARE ...... UNDER THE PROP!!!!! (105,600 feet hr/3600 seconds=29.3')

Read the statistics here. Don't be a statistic !!!!

http://www.propellersafety.com/propeller-accident-statistics/

At an appx. 3300 prop rpm (average engine speed 5500 rpm) the prop spins 33 times in a second or 3.3 times in a tenth of a second. With a 3 blade prop that's 10 strikes of a blade in 1/10 second!! Think of the damage that would do to someone's body, head, etc.... the next time you allow this or see this happening......
This happened to a friend many years ago...His daughter still has the scars on her leg...could have been worse...see it a few times a year on our lake

Bumping up for all the newer members. Please review.

I will try to post up links and videos to informative topics every now and then for boaters both new and old .........

I am pinning to top of forum so it's easy to find........... :)
Good info.. even if you know, it’s good to review these important tips. Thanks S/F

Link worked for me . Try a different browser .

Back